• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Nye "The Science Guy" Hates Creationism

ThinkingWithMyDeac

Reaction score
Saw this article earlier on CNN,

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/27/bill-nye-slams-creationism/?hpt=hp_c2

Essentially he talks about how it is ridiculous in a modern country like the United States that so many people believe in creationism. He also goes on to state that this belief is holding back scientific advancement and progress in our country. I tend to agree with him and that there are way too many people out there that are ignorant when it comes to science. I think the thing that shocked me the most was 46%, in the latest poll from June, believe in creationism. I personally don't know a single person, and can't even wrap my head around the concept that the earth is 6,000-10,000 years old. That is like believing the Earth is flat in the year 2012. I don't really know how to remedy this, but when 50% of the public believe something so obviously false its a where do we begin question. So where do we begin?

This should end well. I think The Tunnels should encompass these topics as well.

Saw this article earlier on CNN,

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/27/bill-nye-slams-creationism/?hpt=hp_c2

Essentially he talks about how it is ridiculous in a modern country like the United States that so many people believe in creationism. He also goes on to state that this belief is holding back scientific advancement and progress in our country. I tend to agree with him and that there are way too many people out there that are ignorant when it comes to science. I think the thing that shocked me the most was 46%, in the latest poll from June, believe in creationism. I personally don't know a single person, and can't even wrap my head around the concept that the earth is 6,000-10,000 years old. That is like believing the Earth is flat in the year 2012. I don't really know how to remedy this, but when 50% of the public believe something so obviously false its a where do we begin question. So where do we begin?

There is an entire 60mm museum dedicated to it.

You should go if you are ever in northern Kentucky. It's a rip-roaring good time.

http://creationmuseum.org/

0819-creation-museum_full_600.jpg

CreationMuseum%2B033.jpg

_DSC2393.JPG

_DSC2403.JPG

_DSC2401.JPG

_DSC2411.JPG

CreationMuseum+025.jpg

_DSC2366.JPG

_DSC2340.JPG

_DSC2337.JPG

_DSC2334.JPG

_DSC2336.JPG

It would actually be a good museum if it wasn't based on a ludicrous myth.

This is one of the most foolish "debates" out there.

Hard core creationists should understand that science helps fill in "how" of Genesis 1 and still rely on the Bible for the "why".

Hard core evolution folks should understand that science should never be conflated with absolute truth and the many many gaps in what we know may possibly be filled by a higher power that we can never truly understand.

There are those who believe in a hybrid of creationism/evolution.

it is hard to really take anyone seriously that takes the bible at face value

TW, what gets you about the universe one?

There are those who believe in a hybrid of creationism/evolution.

Yeah the minority 32% compared to straight up creationism 46%. Seriously how are we going to advance as a country when 78% believe in creationism. Now the 32% that believe in evolution with God's help, at least they have a chance. Sure its easy to say we don't know everything, who knows what came before the very beginning then what became before that and so on. However at least those people believe the earth is older than 6,000 years old. Once again though, those are the minority compared to 46% who straight up believe that only 0.0000013% of the actual age of the earth has happened.

How are all those countries that don't believe in creationism stacking up to the US?

TW, what gets you about the universe one?

I have no problem with the believing that god started the universe in motion 14 billion years ago. I don't believe that, but I understand it. Blatantly ignoring all we know about galactic evolution, the age of the Earth and Sun, etc.. to fit into young earth creationism is just terrible.

Cool. Then go for it. You obviously have figured out the origin and reason for our existence. I'll just watch from this point forward.

Its not even this at all. TW already pointed out, there are plenty of reasonable people who use God as the reasoning for our existence and origin of the universe who do not blatantly ignore mountains of evidence that point to the Earth being much older than 6,000 years old. To believe the earth is 6,000 years old is to simply make stuff up and then go with it. I already posted the percentage of time being ignored earlier. It would be like you turn 75 years old and you look back at all of your fond memories and only recall the last 51 minutes of your life.

I'm interested in how they defined creationism in the survey (maybe I missed it in the article).

Was it:
"Do you think the earth was created by God in 6 literal days between 6-10,000 years ago?"
"Do you think the earth was created in 6 literal days?"
"Do you believe in the Biblical account of Creation?"
"Do you think the Bible is authoritative when it comes to its account of creation?"
"Do you favor creationism, evolution, or a hybrid of both?"

All of these questions seem similar, but ask very different things.

Back