• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Lasting Legacy of the Last Decade: A Shrinking Middle Class

Why do politicians wind up acting in this manner?

Because they cannot predict the future. They make laws they think will help a problem, but they cannot possibly know what people will do in response and they cannot possibly know what strange twists and turns the world will make in the meantime. The law, meanwhile, is etched in stone and very, very hard to undue when specialized interests abuse it.

Contrast this with the private economy where people constantly adjust their behavior in near instantaneous reaction to changes in the environment and the responses they get to their behaviour from others in order to maximize the utility of their actions. Freedom is now and always has been the best way forward for human society.

Because they cannot predict the future. They make laws they think will help a problem, but they cannot possibly know what people will do in response and they cannot possibly know what strange twists and turns the world will make in the meantime. The law, meanwhile, is etched in stone and very, very hard to undue when specialized interests abuse it.

Contrast this with the private economy where people constantly adjust their behavior in near instantaneous reaction to changes in the environment and the responses they get to their behaviour from others in order to maximize the utility of their actions. Freedom is now and always has been the best way forward for human society.

This has to be a joke. You have outdone yourself.

our employees already get far less benefits than employees in any of our major industrial competitors (other than China). If we can't compete at this level of benefits, it's 100% management's fault.

This has to be a joke. You have outdone yourself.

Perhaps as an eminent moral philosopher, you could point out the folly in what I said. If not, stop flapping your lips with your subjective value judgements.

I have neither the time nor interest in doing so. Your first statement is spot on...people can't predict the future...who knew...

Then you have no problem with any legislation introduce because "they" can't know what people will do in response? Yet the world evolves/changes into something a bunch of white guys predicted 200 years ago...

I have neither the time nor interest in doing so. Your first statement is spot on...people can't predict the future...who knew...

You only have the time and interest to make condescending value judgements about the opinions that differ from yours. You should spend some time examining why you take statist positions on many issues.

So, you would prefer that checks and balances go out the window...that's constitutional...

Perhaps as an eminent moral philosopher, you could point out the folly in what I said. If not, stop flapping your lips with your subjective value judgements.

I'm the condescending one...

I have to run now in order to be ready for the big game. But let me ask this, ONW. Do you think politicians many years ago would have made health insurance costs deductible for employers but not for individuals if they had known that in a few years health insurance would be tied to employment so that when a citizen changed jobs they would be forced to look for new health insurance, now with pre-existing conditions? Maybe they knew that in 60 or 70 years the populace would clamor for a government solution to the health insurance "crisis". It's always good for a politician if he/she can control another segment of the economy. But it is worse for society.

I have to run now in order to be ready for the big game. But let me ask this, ONW. Do you think politicians many years ago would have made health insurance costs deductible for employers but not for individuals if they had known that in a few years health insurance would be tied to employment so that when a citizen changed jobs they would be forced to look for new health insurance, now with pre-existing conditions? Maybe they knew that in 60 or 70 years the populace would clamor for a government solution to the health insurance "crisis". It's always good for a politician if he/she can control another segment of the economy. But it is worse for society.

Nope, had they known that back then we would have had a national insurance system like every other industrialized nation. Costs would be lower and completely predictable.

The #1 reason for personal bankruptcy from the 60s to mid-00s (and happening again) would have never existed. Millions of American families would never have lost their life savings and/or homes because they got sick.

Totally agree. Enjoy the game.

Nope, had they known that back then we would have had a national insurance system like every other industrialized nation. Costs would be lower and completely predictable.

The #1 reason for personal bankruptcy from the 60s to mid-00s (and happening again) would have never existed. Millions of American families would never have lost their life savings and/or homes because they got sick.

Back then health insurance was so cheap that no one would have listened to such a hairbrained scheme. Only in your dream world.

Back then health insurance was so cheap that no one would have listened to such a hairbrained scheme. Only in your dream world.

So "hairbrained" that EVERY other western industrialized nation DID do EXACTLY what I said?

Every time I don't think you can come up with a dumber statement than your last one you prove me wrong.

Otto von Bismark got the ball rolling on universal health insurance in the 1880's.

Otto von Bismark got the ball rolling on universal health insurance in the 1880's.

Wasn't he also the one that arbitrarily set the retirement age at 65? Something about some general that he wanted to force out...

Reagan started the US on the road to bankruptcy, too, while he was at it.....but if we don't have to deal with these threats now, why are Republicans constantly waving the flag and calling for ever-increasing defense spending? Where is the "peace dividend" that Reagan promised would be at the end of his "defense spending rainbow"?

That is an excellent question. Perhaps you could address it to President Obama as well.

The answer, of course, is that the Republicans will always come up with some new "boogeyman" to justify pouring endless amounts of money into the DOD.

And the Dems won't, but it'll be taken out of hide, not accompanied by decreased tempo.

Bismark set the retirement age at 70. It was lowered to 65 around World War I. I haven't heard that story about retiring a general but I would guess that's just an urban legend.

Back