• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Charlotte DNC Pain-In-The-Ass Thread

What's all this stuff about Atlanta? Been there several times to visit friends over the years and once for the ACC Tourney (Georgia Dome was a god awful venue for hoops), and it seems much like any big city - cool if you live inside the beltway/perimeter - lousy if you commute from outside. And the last couple of times I've been there my friends took me shopping at that Dekalb farmers market - coolest market ever. And never have been to Charlotte - just driven by. What makes Atlanta so awful and Charlotte so great?

tg0uS.St.138.jpeg

Is the traffic supposed to be really awful this weekend? I've got to go through Charlotte to get to the Wake game tomorrow and need to plan accordingly.

Is the traffic supposed to be really awful this weekend? I've got to go through Charlotte to get to the Wake game tomorrow and need to plan accordingly.

Don't sweat it. Delegates are only starting to arrive this weekend. The convention won't affect most people unless theiy're along the Presiden'ts route from Ballantyne Resort to Uptown, or planning to use I-277, or go Uptown for some stupid reason.

Surely there will be crowds around HP's office, straining for photos of Chiabama.

You should be okay this weekend. Most of the major road restrictions do not kick in until next week, when parts of I-277 will be completely closed and commercial truck traffic on I-77 will be restricted, which will cause some major traffic jams. BofA Stadium is right at the intersection of 77 and 277, so they are worried about a truck full of explosives just driving by on the highway and blowing the whole complex to hell.

The majority is in TWC Arena, but Obama is speaking in BofA Stadium. So there are two separate "secure zones" requiring different checkpoints. No word if Obama will throw up a Superman pose like Cam Newton if he is in the endzone.

All of the mailboxes, FedEx boxes, and garbage cans at our building have been removed for fear of putting bombs in them or hiding weapons in them. Talking to a CMPD friend of mine, he said one of their big concerns is people not having access to weapons so they just take a dump in a bag and throw it. Literal shitshow.

The press has been all over Obama staying at the Ballantyne Resort, which would put him out of any Uptown blast zone, but will also be a traffic disaster every time he moves around. I'm pretty sure that is a decoy and he will be shacking up in the Ritz or Michael Jordan's condo for the days he is here.

Going to get a little golf in while he's waiting around?

Will any of the commielib visitors be dining at Chick Fil A ?

Slow traffic day around midtown. Everyone is working from home it seems. The Starbucks parking lot on Providence was nearly empty. Saw a phalanx of about a dozen police officers riding around on their mountain bikes. Offices along Morehead are policing their parking lots to keep people out, but it appears that the parking lots are pretty empty. That will change on Thursday. I saw a Fulton County Sheriffs Department paddywagon, so apparently all crime has been eradicated in Atlanta and they've come here to help us.

Back