• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Charlotte DNC Pain-In-The-Ass Thread

2&2 Slider To Leyritz

Reaction score
This thread is not for approving or attacking any of the subtance of the DNC, it is to discuss the pain in the ass (or lack thereof if that is your opinion) of the security measures due to the length of Obama's stay. For starters, my office building (~30 floors) is in the secure zone so almost everyone in it, including my office, is forced to shut down for all of next week because of the inability to get their staff through security to go to work. Bank of America has told most of their workers to work from home. And because most employers are not getting checks from the government to pay their staff for an unforseen additional week of vacation, most workers are forced to either take their otherwise unused vacation or take the time off without pay. I think most employers are trying to be as helpful as they can under the circumstances by letting employees use sick time or deduct the value of the time from a bonus that the worker might otherwise get at the end of this year (and the ones large enough to simply absorb the loss may do so), but I hear a lot of the smaller employers just have to tell their employees sorry, you can't work and aren't getting paid.

I recognize that the hotel industry gets a huge boom from this, but the restaurants have got to take it in the ass. Sure they can get a bunch of conventioneers to eat, but they lose out on the 75,000 or so workers who are usually here every day. Plus, the fryguy at Bojangles is going through 2 hours of traffic and security lines to man the grease basket? I don't see how that is good for business.

On the positive side, the fleet of urban assault dirtbikes that CMPD got are badass. Also, I drove through a checkpoint test yesterday where the Secret Service had some sort of technology that jammed my cell signal, radio signal, and XM signal. That was pretty cool, it was like I was in Spaceballs and got the raspberry jam.

Love dem dirtbikes. I'll be working from home next week (read: beach).

They repaved East Morehead Street, so I'm pleased. Also, I prepped my my Chia Obama this morning after it sitting on my window sill for 3.5 years. I'm headed out of town this weekend, so no problems for me till Tuesday. I won't be here for the March on Wall Street South.

Nagatives are that the wife will have to work from home next week instead of the Corp Center and her 24 hr parking pass for the BofA deck is invalid as the deck is closed, so even if we wanted to go uptown, we'd be screwed on parking. The deck is officially closed since it's right next to the arena.

All the new pavement is nice, and they've gussed up the downtown area to look presentable. HP, I was in the same situation where my parking deck is not even accessible due to closed roads, and it is closed starting at midnight tonight for the next week . I think my employer realized this and just said, "work remotely" to my entire floor, and probably building.

Chia Obama is ready to rock. Hope these old seeds germinate.

106g30g.jpg

All of the mailboxes, FedEx boxes, and garbage cans at our building have been removed for fear of putting bombs in them or hiding weapons in them. Talking to a CMPD friend of mine, he said one of their big concerns is people not having access to weapons so they just take a dump in a bag and throw it. Literal shitshow.

The press has been all over Obama staying at the Ballantyne Resort, which would put him out of any Uptown blast zone, but will also be a traffic disaster every time he moves around. I'm pretty sure that is a decoy and he will be shacking up in the Ritz or Michael Jordan's condo for the days he is here.

Suggestion: move to a real city that hosts large conventions and conferences and you won't even notice it.

Suggestion: move to a real city that hosts large conventions and conferences and you won't even notice it.

I recall living in Atlanta during the 1988 DNC and there being quite a bit of noticeable disruption.

And people in NYC grouse and bitch everytime the President cones to town becase of the traffic problems it causes. It's not a minor issue.

I recall living in Atlanta during the 1988 DNC and there being quite a bit of noticeable disruption.

And people in NYC grouse and bitch everytime the President cones to town becase of the traffic problems it causes. It's not a minor issue.

They're good at that.

You were still in HS in 1988. Regardless Atlanta > Charlotte, especially when it comes to hosting shit. And yeah, political conventions are probably the mother of all fuck ups when it comes to that shit. But routinely handling large conferences and conventions make a city better prepared to handle something like a D or RNC. Besides, wait until the left-wing wackos show up with all their freak causes. It'll be patchouli and Greateful Dead stink everywhere.

You were still in HS in 1988. Regardless Atlanta > Charlotte, especially when it comes to hosting shit. And yeah, political conventions are probably the mother of all fuck ups when it comes to that shit. But routinely handling large conferences and conventions make a city better prepared to handle something like a D or RNC. Besides, wait until the left-wing wackos show up with all their freak causes. It'll be patchouli and Greateful Dead stink everywhere.

I was in college. I know that Atlanta is a huge convention town, but it's not like Charlotte hasn't ever hosted a big convention. The DNC only brings in 35,000 people. The city hosted 75,000 people for the 39th Reunion of Confederate Veterans in 1929, so we've got experience with much bigger crowds.

We also had the NRA in 2010.

Too bad. We're full up here in Charlotte. You'll need to stay in Atlanta.

Share the same thought as in we'd rather Karma spend 10 years in Charlotte too. Shouldn't you be out farming or using the outhouse?

Back