• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best quote of Election 2012 so far

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Jon Stewart tonight with perhaps the quote of the campaign so far in response to the RNC and Clint Eastwood's conversation with "invisible Obama":

"This President has issues and there are VERY legitimate debates to be had about his policies and actions and successes and/or failures as President. I mean, tune in next week. *audience laughter* But I could never wrap my head around why the world and the President that Republicans describe bears so little resemblance to the world and President that I experience. And now I know why. There is a President Obama only Republicans can see."

I cracked up watching Stewart last night...especially loved the line about how Romney wanted Obama to succeed..."Bulll Fu$%in Sh#$!". Killed me.

Disagree. Offering my own:

"We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers," Romney pollster Neil Newhouse.

Disagree. Offering my own:

"We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers," Romney pollster Neil Newhouse.

That wins in the surrogate category. Honorable mention is the etch-a-sketch quote.

It was pretty funny to see the "Americorp" bit that RJ is always talking about. You are taking in more than you are giving back, we're gonna have to let you go.....

I'll be interested to see if Stewart/Colbert even bother with the facade that they are going after the DNC as hard as they went after the RNC this week. For two shows which have no standard or expectation of journalistic integrity they normally at least pretend to be non partisan.

My guess is they will drop the pretense during election season while also upping the number of candid moments (from Stewart especially) more closely resembling real journalism.

They went after Biden multiple times. They have even gone after one of Stewart's best friends (Weiner) who is a Dem.

They went after Biden multiple times. They have even gone after one of Stewart's best friends (Weiner) who is a Dem.

Oh they go after dems for sure. And in non election season it's usually fairly even though the biases o the two hosts seep through. Which is totally fine since they aren't real news shows. However they aren't always strictly comedy shows either. Through this election season they will mix in bits, interviews and monologues which take on a more serious tone. At the same time I think they (Stewart especially) will let their biases show far more often. They will bring it next week at the DNC but not with the same amount of passion and semi-seriousness.

Due to the fact that Colbert's show is based on an act, I think his liberalism is more biting.

I think it would be great if Stewart would run for Weiner's old seat in Congress and Colbert go back home and win in SC.

Congress would be fantastic.

Due to the fact that Colbert's show is based on an act, I think his liberalism is more biting.

I think it would be great if Stewart would run for Weiner's old seat in Congress and Colbert go back home and win in SC.

Congress would be fantastic.

I would certainly agree with the first part. Though I don't think it comes through as much it certainly is more biting. There's no way either of them leave their current gig. They have it too good. They can sit back and poke fun at the entire process and then hop in on issues they really care about.

The best line of the election was the "faded Obama posters in their childhood bedrooms" because it resonated as much with the parents as it did with the unemployed kids.

Republicans don't believe in personal responsibility when it comes to getting a job or creating jobs.

"I have a plan to create 12 million jobs" Mitt Romney.
I lost a huge amount of respect for Romney after he basicly told Americans that he doesn't believe in proven science and he wants to go to war with Iran,China and Russia! The Republican party is a mess and Reagan would disapprove of all this nonsense.

Republicans don't believe in personal responsibility when it comes to getting a job or creating jobs.

Democrats believe that people believe any unsupported, sweeping conclusion posted on their college's politics message board.

John Stewart has done an excellent job of condensing complicated issues into clever sound bytes that his viewers think they understand. Made a fortune off of it, good for him.

John Stewart has done an excellent job of condensing complicated issues into clever sound bytes that his viewers think they understand. Made a fortune off of it, good for him.

Yes. He's a good talk show host and observational comedian.

jhmd, just wondering when personal responsibility kicks in with Republicans. Seems like all you hear from them nowadays is blaming the government. Seems weird for Republicans to be sticking up for some 22 year old recent grad whining about how the government is the reason they can't find a job.

Yes. He's a good talk show host and observational comedian.

jhmd, just wondering when personal responsibility kicks in with Republicans. Seems like all you hear from them nowadays is blaming the government. Seems weird for Republicans to be sticking up for some 22 year old recent grad whining about how the government is the reason they can't find a job.

Personal responsibility is at the core of conservative ideology. It's a bedrock principle. The Government's role is to regulate where appropriate (and only where appropriate) and let the market provide. When the government chokes the market's growth potential with poorly thought-out, even more poorly explained programs like Obamacare, it chills private sector growth. Bad policy makes for bad market conditions.

I'll be interested to see if Stewart/Colbert even bother with the facade that they are going after the DNC as hard as they went after the RNC this week. For two shows which have no standard or expectation of journalistic integrity they normally at least pretend to be non partisan.

My guess is they will drop the pretense during election season while also upping the number of candid moments (from Stewart especially) more closely resembling real journalism.

Obviously, you either don't regularly watch these shows, or you see what you want to see.

Back