• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official St. Patrick's Day Ireland Appreciation Thread

SteelCityDeac

Reaction score
In this thread, we discuss:

-The joys of alcohol
-The literary genius of some of the greatest writers in the English language
-Travel experiences
-The joys of alcohol

Ok, I'll start.

James Joyce - great Irish writer or greatest?

My vote is the latter.

I wore green today so that no one would pinch me.

Otherwise, I don't really get into this holiday. Except the alcohol of course

Last edited:
Ireland are full of jackasses. I do like how much they enjoy adult beverages though. The criminals.

shamrock-rovers.jpg

My oldest daughter danced on stage with the Chieftains last Friday and Saturday nights in Atlanta. She's a competitive Irish dancer and was among 6 dancer selected to accompany the Chieftains and Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.

/fatherly boasting

One thing that should really piss off my fellow Hibernians is a little-known policy the White House instituted after 9/11. Irish nationals (i.e. Irish citizens, regardless of where they live) can only take the public tour of the White House in groups of 10 or more. The Irish are the only European citizenry faced with this restriction. The Brits, against whom Americans fought no less than three separate wars, have no such restrictions.

As the poet once said, fuck that shit.

My oldest daughter danced on stage with the Chieftains last Friday and Saturday nights in Atlanta. She's a competitive Irish dancer and was among 6 dancer selected to accompany the Chieftains and Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.

/fatherly boasting

One thing that should really piss off my fellow Hibernians is a little-known policy the White House instituted after 9/11. Irish nationals (i.e. Irish citizens, regardless of where they live) can only take the public tour of the White House in groups of 10 or more. The Irish are the only European citizenry faced with this restriction. The Brits, against whom Americans fought no less than three separate wars, have no such restrictions.

As the poet once said, fuck that shit.

That's cool about your daughter, 94. Irish dancing is awesome - my wife earned the rock when she busted that out one night at a club.

And that shit about the White House is insane. Like we're more dangerous than the Albanians!

That's cool about your daughter, 94. Irish dancing is awesome - my wife earned the rock when she busted that out one night at a club.

And that shit about the White House is insane. Like we're more dangerous than the Albanians!

My neighbors are from Dublin and while they are still Irish nationals, their children hold dual citizenship. Did I mention he's a senior VP of a world-wide materials company? They're going to DC for the first time on vacation and having grown up with the notion of Washington as Kennedy's Camelot, they always wanted to go. Nope, sorry. Thanks for playing. They're going to Smithsonian instead. Much better choice, IMO.

These people are bigger American patriots than most Americans. He only flies the Tricolor during March. I keep telling him he needs to fly it year 'round. He said they are guests here (despite having been here for two decades and paying taxes and being very involved in schools and the community) and don't want to offend anyone.

My neighbors have to deal with my big, white, pasty ass going to the mailbox in boxers while scratching myself, and wearing fluffy slippers. Hell, of the 8 in my cul-de-sac, three families are from other countries! And he's worried about offending.

My neighbors are from Dublin and while they are still Irish nationals, their children hold dual citizenship. Did I mention he's a senior VP of a world-wide materials company? They're going to DC for the first time on vacation and having grown up with the notion of Washington as Kennedy's Camelot, they always wanted to go. Nope, sorry. Thanks for playing. They're going to Smithsonian instead. Much better choice, IMO.

These people are bigger American patriots than most Americans. He only flies the Tricolor during March. I keep telling him he needs to fly it year 'round. He said they are guests here (despite having been here for two decades and paying taxes and being very involved in schools and the community) and don't want to offend anyone.

My neighbors have to deal with my big, white, pasty ass going to the mailbox in boxers while scratching myself, and wearing fluffy slippers. Hell, of the 8 in my cul-de-sac, three families are from other countries! And he's worried about offending.

Let your flag fly 94. That guy shouldn't worry so much. Also, we had a bunch of irish dancers come to a red's game last year. It was pretty sweet.

I want to go back to the Smithsonian. Love all those museums.

Sounds like the world's politest Irishman.

today is the day where I miss being led around campus by a bag-pipe player while drinking.

i am wearing green today but unfortunately can't really celebrate much beyond that... work, a meeting at 'other work' after work, and it's a brick night at the gym.

My cousins used to do irish dancing in the ATL area. I'm not sure if they still do or not.

I've made soda bread and will be making shepherds pie for dinner. I have some guinness and it's my brothers birthday. Unfortunately I've got an 850 train tomorrow so despite havingthe day off it's going to be an easy night

All that said: Fuck the British Army.

Back