• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NY Times November 2011: Obama Campaign Writes Off White Voters

I just skimmed it. Where does it say that's what the Obama campaign is doing?

I just skimmed it. Where does it say that's what the Obama campaign is doing?

"All pretense of trying to win a majority of the white working class has been effectively jettisoned in favor of cementing a center-left coalition made up, on the one hand, of voters who have gotten ahead on the basis of educational attainment — professors, artists, designers, editors, human resources managers, lawyers, librarians, social workers, teachers and therapists — and a second, substantial constituency of lower-income voters who are disproportionately African-American and Hispanic."

ncsport this was cleary planted by the CIA to mislead you.

Again, this is a rather strongly penned op-ed piece from last year, and the author is saying that Obama isn't banking on winning an overall majority in the "white working class" demographic. That's quite a bit more limited than what you seem to be claiming, and current polling data is making that hypothesis even less tenable. Check out 538 for actual polling data if you think Obama has irretrievably lost white working class voters. The numbers don't bear that out, especially in the crucial swing states, which is why Obama is still a comfortable favorite at present.

Last edited:
"All pretense of trying to win a majority of the white working class has been effectively jettisoned in favor of cementing a center-left coalition made up, on the one hand, of voters who have gotten ahead on the basis of educational attainment — professors, artists, designers, editors, human resources managers, lawyers, librarians, social workers, teachers and therapists — and a second, substantial constituency of lower-income voters who are disproportionately African-American and Hispanic."

PH is pointing out that this is an opinion from an op-ed writer not connected to the Obama campaign. It's an op-ed piece, not a news story.

PH is pointing out that this is an opinion from an op-ed writer not connected to the Obama campaign. It's an op-ed piece, not a news story.

I agree it's an op-ed, but you and I both know the NY Times and Obama have been attached at the hip for a very long time and have a lot of communication back and forth. This op-ed didn't just appear out of nowhere, it has legs.

That works. When you're losing an argument, just blame the liberal media bias.

I agree it's an op-ed, but you and I both know the NY Times and Obama have been attached at the hip for a very long time and have a lot of communication back and forth. This op-ed didn't just appear out of nowhere, it has legs.

The NY Times runs plenty of op-eds by conservatives. They also run news pieces that favor conservatives and question liberal policies and leaders. There's an overarching liberal slant, I grant, but it's a latent rather than targeted bias. The NYT is not a closed, one-way shop like, say, FoxNews. And most "biased" organizations attempt to mitigate that bias through op-ed articles.

I have no idea why you think this rather run-of-the-mill election op-ed from last November "has legs" -- or even what you mean by that -- or that the Obama camp had input into it. Neither claim makes much sense, given the topic.

What communication do you think goes "back and forth" between Obama and the NY Times? Why would this be an example of it?

I know "nut" means what it says, but I'm trying to figure out what ncsport is an acronym for. And, how was there someone with the userid already that he had to make it "1?"

I know "nut" means what it says, but I'm trying to figure out what ncsport is an acronym for. And, how was there someone with the userid already that he had to make it "1?"

nc = state of north carolina

sports = sports

nut = nut about sports

that's about it. the "1" I usually add because some sites or user names have to have a numeral along with the name to be accepted thus....

ncsportsnut1

Maybe on the Tunnels there should be a limit to only starting 1-2 new threads per week. That would hopefully limit ncnut's, bkf's and rj's musings to mostly already established threads. Or would that cut down on the Tunnels traffic too severely?

Posting an op-ed as fact? Just reference a blog or a drunk, homeless guy walking down the street.

Again, this is a rather strongly penned op-ed piece from last year, and the author is saying that Obama isn't banking on winning an overall majority in the "white working class" demographic. That's quite a bit more limited than what you seem to be claiming, and current polling data is making that hypothesis even less tenable. Check out 538 for actual polling data if you think Obama has irretrievably lost white working class voters. The numbers don't bear that out, especially in the crucial swing states, which is why Obama is still a comfortable favorite at present.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/103969/obama%E2%80%99s-problem-white-non-college-educated-voters-getting-worse

This speaks to his problem with white working class voters and notes he is in "landslide" territory with them - and not in a good way. It also notes he does well with white college educated voters - although he has slipped a bit there too. This uses "polling" to display the issue.

Last edited:
Back