• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney's convention speech- worst since Dole

Obama's speech in 08 was possibly the best I've ever seen and look where that got us.

Obama's speech in 08 was possibly the best I've ever seen and look where that got us.

You meaning turning an economy that was losing over 700,000 jobs per month into one that creates about 100,000/month-yep that sucks.

You mean taking an economy with a -8.9% GDP in +2% growth or +10.9% net difference?

You mean eliminating an American with insurance ever again losing their home because they got sick. Yep that really sucks.

You mean saving GM? That really sucks.

You mean enacting equal pay for equal work for women? That sucks.

You mean allowing patriot Americans to openly serve in the military regardless of sexual orientation. Or as Barry Goldwater said,"You don't have to be straight to shoot straight."? Yep that sucks.

You mean finding and killing OBL rather finding and letting him escape? Yep that sucks.

He couldn't close GITMO due to the war crimes systemically committed there. No one outside the W Administration could possibly have known the depth of law-breaking until he took office and had access to the intel.

Romney's speech was fine. Certainly better than Dole's. Probably better than McCain's, but expectations were next to nothing for McCain and he was more respected than Romney as an inoffensive challenger to Obama, hence the higher marks. I don't recall much of Bush's speeches. Either way, it broke along party lines. Big shock there.

no, no, haven't you heard? Romney did just fine and it was all that was expected of him - and to critique the speech as poor is pure partisan hackery and naivete. He did EXACTLY as needed. Vision and creative solutions had no place in the speech. He needed to humanize himself and be all gooey so that we forget he is a terminator created at Cyberdyne Systems...

All I remember from Bush in 2000 was the "They haven't led, we will."

You meaning turning an economy that was losing over 700,000 jobs per month into one that creates about 100,000/month-yep that sucks.

You mean taking an economy with a -8.9% GDP in +2% growth or +10.9% net difference?

You mean eliminating an American with insurance ever again losing their home because they got sick. Yep that really sucks.

You mean saving GM? That really sucks.

You mean enacting equal pay for equal work for women? That sucks.

You mean allowing patriot Americans to openly serve in the military regardless of sexual orientation. Or as Barry Goldwater said,"You don't have to be straight to shoot straight."? Yep that sucks.

You mean finding and killing OBL rather finding and letting him escape? Yep that sucks.

lol... I think you got the advance talking points for the convention...

Which one of those isn't true?

If W had done that much, you'd be putting him on Mt. Rushmore.

GM's bailout cost taxpayers around $50B, GM is down 40% in the past 2 years and its market cap is $35.9B today.

Sorry... not going there. I just don't have the time or energy to work through all that baggage. Enjoy your convention.

GM's bailout cost taxpayers around $50B, GM is down 40% in the past 2 years and its market cap is $35.9B today.

It's still cheaper than putting over 1M people out of work and paying unemployment. how about the copay for all their Cobra accounts?

GM still made $1.5B in the most recently recorded quarter. That's $6B for a year.

That's slightly better than dead and they would have been dead. There was no private money to save them. Everyone tried.

It's still cheaper than putting over 1M people out of work and paying unemployment. how about the copay for all their Cobra accounts?

GM still made $1.5B in the most recently recorded quarter. That's $6B for a year.

That's slightly better than dead and they would have been dead. There was no private money to save them. Everyone tried.

First, I was wrong the market cap is actually $33B as of today. Additionally, the Treasury is stuck with GM until after the elections. They won't sell until after that and the Treasury's on record as of two weeks ago (and GM has dropped more) that the Treasury expects to lose at least $25b on an $85b investment. That ain't good. You can't extrapolate quarterly into yearly earnings. There was no private money because no one wanted to touch that shit pile. You're also assuming that there were $1m workers, which I doubt and those workers couldn't find other jobs, re-appropriate skills. I'm not saying whether the auto bailout was good or bad; we might not know for a long time but it was a gamble that shouldn't be lauded yet.

If we lose $25B, that will be less than it would have cost to pat one year of unemployment and Cobra participation for those workers. The government would have also been soaked for all the pensions due to the law.

They have been employed for two years. 1m people paying $5000 in taxes each is $10B that offset some of the losses in what we invested.

You are being simplistic and inaccurate.

Back