• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about Portland, OR

bump with updated title. Tell me about Portland, OR! might be moving that way :)

Been to Portland once for a weekend trip. AWESOME! Fell in love with the city and the active citizens.

From what I know about you LBE, you would love it. An outdoor mecca most of the year.

1) i will be very, very jealous if you move there.
2) i may just randomly show up on your doorstep. hope you don't mind.
3) it is totally your kind of place (it's mine too)

and on actual practical knowledge: they have the biggest bookstore in the nation. both new and used books. also, they have a ton of really awesome coffee shops, and portland is becoming known as the "new napa." so basically, it's my idea of heaven.

bump with updated title. Tell me about Portland, OR! might be moving that way :)

I just got so fucking confused when iI opened this thread. I've been wanting to move to Portland as well then I start reading about the heat and "screendoor to hell" and what the fuck?

that vid was what got me thinking about it. i've been showing it to everyone i've spoken with about the city, haha.

posrep

I actually was at a wedding in Portland a few months ago where all their wedding decorations had birds on them.

I don't think many other people got the joke.

isn't there some really famous doughnut place there?

Yes, Voodoo. Those dudes have to be rich now, because it's on nearly every food-related show profiling Portland. There's also some famous breakfast spot with ridiculous portion sizes.

lots of homeless

I didn't see any when I was there, but I've heard this before. It's my understanding a lot of them are young runaways strung out on heroin.

I loved it -- even a bit more than Seattle.

Foodie and outdoor heaven. Also great music scene, pretty good weather. In my top three cities I'd like to live in the us.

Doesn't Smoove live there now? You should ask him how he's liking it.

I'd prefer Seattle, but I have not heard of anyone visiting Portland and not enjoying it. Sounds like a great place.

Hard to believe the female lead in Portlandia was in Sleater-Kinney.

Only been to Portland once but loved it. Bite of Portland was a very cool event. Think it's called Bite of Oregon now. Tons of cool wineries and microbrews. Very bicycle friendly. Mt. Hood is an easy drive. From what I know about you from the boards, you will love it.

Roommates moving there in august and is taking a trip to visit in June, seems like an amazing city.

libral as hell. one of the most bike friendly cities in the us, maybe the world (outside of asia). very artsy. lots of street urchins.

Just read an article on the awesome restaurant/food truck scene there. Sounds like a pretty cool place.

Back