• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about Portland, OR

me too, and i live here.

If you have to narrow it down, of all of those (all of which are incredible) I'd REALLY make an effort to hit: Por Que No, Lardo, Bollywood, Pine State Biscuits, one of the Tasty'n places.

And Salt & Straw

oh, absolutely. salt and straw is a must. hell, try to go more than once.

IbE, don't know if this has come up since I didn't read the entire thread, but my wife and I were out there earlier this month, and the 2 places we went for dinner, Toro Bravo and Ava Gene's, were awesome. And I agree, Salt & Straw is awesome. I had the strawberry pepper balsamic vinegar ice cream. It blew my mind, and I don't even like strawberry ice cream!

Also, Multnomah Falls was worth the drive, as was Cannon Beach.

staying at my friend's in nw right by salt and straw. just grabbed a cappuccino at barista and saw it opens at 10 am. defs going to hit it up after my call at 11 and lunch before i start the great afternoon coffee tour of PDX 2014 and finish work.

staying at my friend's in nw right by salt and straw. just grabbed a cappuccino at barista and saw it opens at 10 am. defs going to hit it up after my call at 11 and lunch before i start the great afternoon coffee tour of PDX 2014 and finish work.

Oh score - that's a cool area of town for easily walking to some great spots.

IbE, don't know if this has come up since I didn't read the entire thread, but my wife and I were out there earlier this month, and the 2 places we went for dinner, Toro Bravo and Ava Gene's, were awesome. And I agree, Salt & Straw is awesome. I had the strawberry pepper balsamic vinegar ice cream. It blew my mind, and I don't even like strawberry ice cream!

Also, Multnomah Falls was worth the drive, as was Cannon Beach.

Aw man, I always forget about toro bravo! Good spot. Ava Gene's is supposed to be amazing, we've not made it there yet.
The strawberry/black pepper/balsamic is one of my favorites. Pairs really well with the olive oil.

i am getting no work done. just saw there's a self edge near by. looks like i'll be getting some sales tax free jeans!

phan, where you at? ice cream?

My friend who just spent the week in PDX actually stayed in an AirBnB that was an Airstream camper with no attached bathroom. Place looked pretty jank. But it was only $54/night, and he gets to keep the difference between that rate and his company's hotel per diem, which is like $180/night. Not bad.

I was meh about Screen Door. The best breakfast I ever had in my life, however, was at Broder. I think the wait was two hours, but it was absolutely worth it.

I was meh about Screen Door. The best breakfast I ever had in my life, however, was at Broder. I think the wait was two hours, but it was absolutely worth it.

Yes, Broder is on our list. I'll probably go there w/ a girlfriend of mine because I don't think it appeals to J as much.
As far as I'm concerned, Screen Door is every southern brunch I grew up with. Novel out here, I guess, but not worth the wait.

oh man i dont think i'll eat again for a week. i'll put a summary together later but wanted to say thanks for the reccos and that i had a blast.

ok so here we go...

we got in late thursday and just went to bed. i woke up friday and had to work, so i went to barista in nob hill to grab a cappuccino and a quiche and then worked at my bud's place for a bit. good cappuccino, good vibe. cute baristas. nice spot.

after my call i decided to venture out and grab lunch then work from a coffee shop. had a great burger and fries at little big burger. that place is legit. fries were amazing. best fast food style burger i've had. stopped by salt and straw after and got a scoop of the balsamic strawberry. nom nom nom. tried a few other flavors too and all were great. no line at 1230 on a friday either. i'd had a blow out on a pair of jeans recently and knew there was a self edge here, so i walked to self edge and snagged a pair of tax free jeans. my friends/wife were at deschutes chilling, so i stopped by and tasted some of their beers. nothing really stood out, but i was more worrying about work than beer... went to stumptown and got a chemex pourover and worked at the ace hotel. how very hipster of me. after i got done working the fun began....

we went to the whiskey library. OH MY GOD YES. we lucked in to a private room and the selection was just amazing. our server knew everything about whiskey and liked to talk, so we chatted about whiskey a bit. some folks got an old fashion but i went with some rye i hadnt heard of before. they hooked it with a snifter, and he made the drinks at the table wioth a little cart. very classy. i also had an old fashion which was one of the better ones i've had. after the whisky library we put our names ont he list at tasty and alder and headed over to clyde commons for beers and cheese/charcuterie and fois gras. really really good. the fois gras was awesome, but the pork rillets on the charcuterie plate may have outshined it. after we finished that up we went to tasty and alder and stuffed our faces. highlights there were the octopus and hanger steak, but everything was good. called it a night after that as we were in a meat comma.

saturday i hit up barista again and met our friends at nossa familia espresso. sooo much good coffee. after that it was beer thirty. we started at rogue then rented bikes and headed to the east side of the river. went to hair of the dog (meh, wasnt a huge fan of the styles they brew), cascade (YES! i loved it. so much sour), and lucky labrador. cascade stood out as my fave. we went back and chilled at their hotel for a bit, and then went to pok pok. my god what a meal. the boar and pork shoulder/belly curry were two of the best thai dishes ive ever had. the wings were great, but they just cant compare imo. i thought it was better than any meal i had in thailand. partially due to it being 8 of us instead of 2, so we got to try so many dishes. but it was just awesome. we went to some weird bar after, but everyone was exhausted from drinking all day and stuffing our faces, so we called it sooner after.

sunday i hit up sterling roasters. i thought it was the best cappuccino i had in the city. not sure if it was their cream or the espresso but the capp my wife got was much better than my americano. had brunch on the east side at acanto. it was pretty good. the service sucked, and some dishes were better than others. the burrata was great. i guess all the food was good, but it just seemed like they were trying to do too much or something. and the service was bad. not rude, but just ill informed and slow. by the time i got my greyhound the ice had half melted. ohhhh whale. after taht we went for a walk in forest park. everyone was stuffed so it was a pretty brief walk, but it was nice up there in the trees. then we had a beer at north 45 and headed out.

all in all a great weekend, and i'll defs be back. need to be there for a sunday night next time so we can hit up stripperaoke. also really need to get out of the city some next time, but we just had 1 car and 7 peeps for most of teh time.

awesome, sounds like a great weekend! glad you hit clyde common; i forget about that place because i'm rarely up there, but it's delicious. the charcuterie plate (as you found) is legit.

service here is really hit or miss. wait staff get paid minimum wage, so there's not nearly the incentive to be GOOD at service because tips are all just bonus on top of that. if you're in a group and hanging out and they're at least bringing drinks it can be ok, but the worst is when you just want to eat and it takes them 25min to bring you a beer.

Any breakfast/dinner/coffee/beer recommendations for the East Side near the Convention Area? I'll only be in town for one night, so no car, but taxi-able is fine.

Back