Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 172

Thread: Tell me about Portland, OR

  1. #141
    I like the story that Quincy Jones told in one of those batshit interviews that Paul Allen is a legit rock guitarist and can shred.
    Runs with deer.

  2. #142
    he got mad at rkarl so that's something

  3. #143
    Totally piggybacking on this thread, but since it's PNW-related...

    Anyone know anything about Seattle? I'm moving there next month for a doctoral program at the UW. Any useful info would be appreciated!

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by ipitytheblue View Post
    Totally piggybacking on this thread, but since it's PNW-related...

    Anyone know anything about Seattle? I'm moving there next month for a doctoral program at the UW. Any useful info would be appreciated!
    In this thread we've already learned that it's about a 3 hour drive from Portland and that Paul Allen has a house there.

  5. #145
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    45,931
    Quote Originally Posted by ipitytheblue View Post
    Totally piggybacking on this thread, but since it's PNW-related...

    Anyone know anything about Seattle? I'm moving there next month for a doctoral program at the UW. Any useful info would be appreciated!
    Paul Allen has an estate near there.

  6. #146
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    40,081
    Seattle is awesome.

    dv7 is a huge Mariners fans and has deep roots in the area. You should PM him. He also has roots in Dallas and Manchester.

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Seattle is awesome.

    dv7 is a huge Mariners fans and has deep roots in the area. You should PM him. He also has roots in Dallas and Manchester.
    I wouldn't call 5.5 inches deep, but I guess it's all relative.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by ipitytheblue View Post
    Totally piggybacking on this thread, but since it's PNW-related...

    Anyone know anything about Seattle? I'm moving there next month for a doctoral program at the UW. Any useful info would be appreciated!
    Starbucks. Very important for grad school.
    The locals call it "The U"
    It's not the east coast. Even though they have a big estuary.
    Everything will feel different time-wise until you get used to the time difference. Live NFL games start in the morning on Sunday. Monday night football starts during dinner hour and ends in time to get kids to bed.
    They wear purple. And were very much Wake supporters some years back when we whipped Oregon in the Seattle Bowl. They despise Oregon much like Wake despises u*NC.
    There is great snow skiing a few hours drive east of Seattle.
    They have fresh salmon.
    The crabs there are different from what you get in Bawlmer.
    There are lots of other coffee shops that are not Starbucks.
    There is Puget Sound, and multiple lakes. Decide which of those (if any) you want to deal with on your commute to school from where you live.
    Boeing builds airplanes there. They have a good airport (SeaTac). It is a ways south of the city. Planes fly to Asia from there, as well as all over the US.
    It is a favorite spot for federal offices on the west coast that aren't in California.
    I know some people who work on staff in the radiation safety office at The U.
    The Navy has a huge shipyard on Puget Sound.
    Joint Base Lewis-McChord is the combined huge Army Air Force presence near Seattle. If you are military connected this can be a great resource.
    They have earthquakes. Bigger ones than on the east coast. But not as frequently as California.
    There are lots of coffee shops there.
    It rains a lot during the winter. Not much snow in the city. Lots of snow in the mountains east of the city.
    I had my best and worst day skiing ever in the mountains just east of Seattle.

    You may be competing with Amazon staff for housing. It is their corporate HQ.

    ETA:

    It will be difficult to impossible to find Wake sporting events on TV.
    Last edited by Deaconblue; 06-14-2018 at 10:57 AM.

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Starbucks. Very important for grad school.
    The locals call it "The U"
    It's not the east coast. Even though they have a big estuary.
    Everything will feel different time-wise until you get used to the time difference. Live NFL games start in the morning on Sunday. Monday night football starts during dinner hour and ends in time to get kids to bed.
    They wear purple. And were very much Wake supporters some years back when we whipped Oregon in the Seattle Bowl. They despise Oregon much like Wake despises u*NC.
    There is great snow skiing a few hours drive east of Seattle.
    They have fresh salmon.
    The crabs there are different from what you get in Bawlmer.
    There are lots of other coffee shops that are not Starbucks.
    There is Puget Sound, and multiple lakes. Decide which of those (if any) you want to deal with on your commute to school from where you live.
    Boeing builds airplanes there. They have a good airport (SeaTac). It is a ways south of the city. Planes fly to Asia from there, as well as all over the US.
    It is a favorite spot for federal offices on the west coast that aren't in California.
    I know some people who work on staff in the radiation safety office at The U.
    The Navy has a huge shipyard on Puget Sound.
    Joint Base Lewis-McChord is the combined huge Army Air Force presence near Seattle. If you are military connected this can be a great resource.
    They have earthquakes. Bigger ones than on the east coast. But not as frequently as California.
    There are lots of coffee shops there.
    It rains a lot during the winter. Not much snow in the city. Lots of snow in the mountains east of the city.
    I had my best and worst day skiing ever in the mountains just east of Seattle.

    You may be competing with Amazon staff for housing. It is their corporate HQ.

    ETA:

    It will be difficult to impossible to find Wake sporting events on TV.
    haha, thanks

    I'll be streaming Wake over Watch ESPN anyway, so hopefully it won't be an issue! Those 9am football games should be fun...

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by ipitytheblue View Post
    haha, thanks

    I'll be streaming Wake over Watch ESPN anyway, so hopefully it won't be an issue! Those 9am football games should be fun...
    Sunday morning football usually starts at 10 AM.

    Bloody Marys or Mimosas preferred.

  11. #151
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Sunday morning football usually starts at 10 AM.

    Bloody Marys or Mimosas preferred.
    Being on the west coast is great for sports.

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Being on the west coast is great for sports for really old people.
    FIFY

  13. #153
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Sunday morning football usually starts at 10 AM.

    Bloody Marys or Mimosas preferred.
    He was talking about Wake football games. Noon kickoffs would be at 9 am.

    I was in Arizona two years ago during one of the London games. Waking up at 7:00 am to the second quarter of an NFL game was trippy.

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    He was talking about Wake football games. Noon kickoffs would be at 9 am.

    I was in Arizona two years ago during one of the London games. Waking up at 7:00 am to the second quarter of an NFL game was trippy.
    Also looking forward to some 4:30am EPL kickoffs. Oh boy.

  15. #155
    Re Seattle

    My wife found people rude, but intelligent after living in NC her entire life. After we moved back to NC, she said "i can't wait for fake nice, again."

    I think between the fresh king crab, halibut, and salmon, it's the best seafood in the country. We ate of a lot of it and it's what I miss the most about living there.

    Winston-Salem actually has more rainfall per year than Seattle. Most of the rain in Seattle is a mist. It's cloudy for 8 months. But the summer months are the best weather in the country. A lot of houses don't have AC.

    The housing market is booming there because of Amazon. I bought a townhouse in 2006 (awesome ), After being down as much as 30% on it, I sold in 2011 for about a 10% loss. Last year, the person I sold it to sold it for 25% more than they bought it. Great timing by me, but I didn't really want to rent it out for 5-7 years. Lots of places go quickly for over their asking price.

  16. #156
    I'd appreciate any opinions on the best seafood and steak restaurants in Portland.

  17. #157

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJean View Post
    I'd appreciate any opinions on the best seafood and steak restaurants in Portland.
    ...why limit yourself to that?

    but if that's what you really want, I 100% recommend Laurelhurst Market. It's more typical steakhouse in terms of cuts, and the other food (to include seafood) is really good.
    Nostrana is also delicious in everything, but less 'steakhouse.'
    Same can be said for Higgins and Raven&Rose.
    I know how to spell definitely.

  19. #159
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    40,081
    I also need Portland dining and lodging recs. Will be there for a couple of nights in July possibly. Focusing more on Wallamette Valley for the trip so need dinner recs around Dundee also.

  20. #160
    Primary OGB Benefactor
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    40,081
    Looks like Veritable Quandry is no more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •