• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about Portland, OR

Any breakfast/dinner/coffee/beer recommendations for the East Side near the Convention Area? I'll only be in town for one night, so no car, but taxi-able is fine.

There's not a TON right around the convention center, but fairly close by (north on MLK) I'd recommend the following:

dinner: OX - http://oxpdx.com/
dinner: Toro Bravo - http://www.torobravopdx.com/
beers and dinner: Ex Novo Brewing - http://exnovobrew.com/
breakfast: Tiny's Coffee - http://www.tinys.coffee/pages/locations/north-east/
better breakfast, but more time-consuming: Tasty n Sons - http://www.tastynsons.com/ (if you've got the time it's incredible)

If you go south, there are lots of options along E Burnside St. as well.
I'm having option paralysis right now - other options that are more casual/would probably suit a group and are near other things, should you decide you want something else, each of which would need a taxi:
Por Que No (tacos and margaritas, hands-down my favorite place to eat because I love chips and guac and margs and theirs are all homemade and delicious)
Lardo (sandwich shop w/ lots of pig cuts, delicious fries)
Sen Yai (northern Thailand noodle dishes)
Bollywood Theater (indian street food)

...and I'd be remiss not to at least mention Salt & Straw Ice Cream...

One night, business dinner with expense account. Go.

Oh yeah, I forget about them. Le Pigeon over Little Bird, for business expense.
Some of their food can get kind of weird, I think...

I'm also just partial to Andina.

Andina was one we wanted to try when we were there but just ran out of time.

Andina
Veritable Quandary
Nostrana
Ava Genes

in that order.

I'm 95% sure that the last time I was in Portland I ended up at Veritable Quandary on your recommendation and it was awesome. I'll try this Andina place if I can get a reservation for us. Thank you!

also i must spread rep before giving it to you again leebs.

i accept your rep attempt.

and yeah, I'm pretty sure Andina takes reservations.

Andina is really, really good. But Ox...that place is the best. Go and don't look back.

This thread is nearly 3 years old so looking to refresh it.

Girlfriend and I are heading up there mid August for a long weekend. Likely will airbnb.

1) What is the best area to stay in?
2) What are the must do activities?
3) What are your favorite restaurants and breweries?

Much appreciated in advance.

This thread is nearly 3 years old so looking to refresh it.

Girlfriend and I are heading up there mid August for a long weekend. Likely will airbnb.

1) What is the best area to stay in?
2) What are the must do activities?
3) What are your favorite restaurants and breweries?

Much appreciated in advance.

Those are some really, really subjective questions. Narrow it down for me a little and I am happy to recommend all kinds of things. When you travel somewhere, what do you enjoy doing? How much 'hipster' can you handle? Do you enjoy physical activities or do 'must do' things include museums? What kind of food do you like/how much do you want to spend?

Those are some really, really subjective questions. Narrow it down for me a little and I am happy to recommend all kinds of things. When you travel somewhere, what do you enjoy doing? How much 'hipster' can you handle? Do you enjoy physical activities or do 'must do' things include museums? What kind of food do you like/how much do you want to spend?
Good questions.

- Outdoor things but not outdoorsy things (i.e., a food walking tour or drinking at an outdoor brewery sound fantastic, not as much interested in going hiking)
- Probably not museums but if there's an awesome park or something (see the outdoors but not outdoorsy theme?), definitely include it
- We can probably handle hipster things as long as they don't smell too bad
- Love good food. Will likely do one nice dinner, and complement that with a variety of the locals/highly rated type places.

And not planning to rent a car so walkable area for our airbnb would be nice, though can always uber around.

Doesn't Portland have a really good streetcar and bus system?

Doesn't Portland have a really good streetcar and bus system?

definitely depends on where you are and what you're trying to get to. The bus system is great, yes, but for most tourists I'd be as or more likely to just say uber/lyft it (unless they're downtown and trying to go to the zoo, for example, in which case the MAX is really convenient).

Good questions.

- Outdoor things but not outdoorsy things (i.e., a food walking tour or drinking at an outdoor brewery sound fantastic, not as much interested in going hiking)
- Probably not museums but if there's an awesome park or something (see the outdoors but not outdoorsy theme?), definitely include it
- We can probably handle hipster things as long as they don't smell too bad
- Love good food. Will likely do one nice dinner, and complement that with a variety of the locals/highly rated type places.

And not planning to rent a car so walkable area for our airbnb would be nice, though can always uber around.

I'll modify my list and post at some point today/soon.

definitely depends on where you are and what you're trying to get to. The bus system is great, yes, but for most tourists I'd be as or more likely to just say uber/lyft it (unless they're downtown and trying to go to the zoo, for example, in which case the MAX is really convenient).

Aren't most of the streets a living zoo? :)

Back