• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me about Portland, OR

I saw a show on teenagers in Portland on MSNBC. It looked like a really fun city, lots of outdoor time, teenage hijinx, etc. It was charming!

Portland is stinkin AMAZING!!

Move there and do it now!!!!!!! forget REI boyfriend dude - Portland is better than he is (of course, I believe, it may be his job that's sending you there, so bonus!)

As someone else said, know what I do of you (which is limited to what is gleaned from the boards) you will absolutely love it.

Doesn't Smoove live there now? You should ask him how he's liking it.

I'd prefer Seattle, but I have not heard of anyone visiting Portland and not enjoying it. Sounds like a great place.

I live in Ashland (southern end of the state) but Portland is 4 1/2 hours away, and I pop up there a few times a year. Great city. Tons of good restaurants, and has a real urban feel to it. Way too many hipsters for my taste, and winters are kind of dreary, but it doesn't get super cold or snow a lot. Definitely a cool place to live. PM me with any specific questions.

The beginning of this thread is really confusing, since everyone is describing the "dry heat" of Arizona.

Check out portlandia too. Doesn't do the awesomeness of the city justice but its a hilarious show.

BUMP.

Heading there in a couple weeks. Any specific things to try to do while I'm there?

BUMP.

Heading there in a couple weeks. Any specific things to try to do while I'm there?

lbe can offer many more suggestions, but definitely get ice cream at Salt and Straw! You will likely have to wait in line, but it's worth it. The sea salt ice cream with caramel was amazing. Obviously hit up Powell's book store. Drive out along the Columbia River Gorge to check out the waterfalls and go hiking. And Voo Doo Donuts of course (the bacon maple bar is the bomb).

BUMP.

Ha, this thread is funny now that I've lived here over a year.
What kinds of things do you want to do/see/know?
I can give suggestions for restaurants, 'sight seeing', hikes (both in and out of the gorge), mountain things, etc. Give me your timeline and what you're looking to do.

Several friends of mine have moved there from Chapel Hill. They've all moved back. They all agree that Portland is just too hip for it's own good.

Several friends of mine have moved there from Chapel Hill. They've all moved back. They all agree that Portland is just too hip for it's own good.

that's so wonderful for them that they can just move back to where they're comfortable and not be forced to make a city work and find the good stuff.
I agree that it's super hip, but it doesn't mean you have to be. The beauty of it all is you can do whatever you want and nobody really cares because someone else is always more 'out there'.

Ha, this thread is funny now that I've lived here over a year.
What kinds of things do you want to do/see/know?
I can give suggestions for restaurants, 'sight seeing', hikes (both in and out of the gorge), mountain things, etc. Give me your timeline and what you're looking to do.

Staying at the Hilton on 6th Avenue. I'll be there for a week starting next week. Here are some things I'd be interested in...

Breweries/bars to visit?
Restaurants?
Runnings areas or trails or meet-up groups?
Any must see sight?

THANKS!

Breweries/bars to visit:
Cascade Brewery - sour beers (which I happen to love). Very unique style.
Green Dragon Bar - Across the street from Cascade. Redonkulous beer selection. Just silly.
Deschutes Brew Pub - Some very good beers and good bar food.

Restaurants:
Pok Pok - Cheap, authentic (not pad thai or panang curry), amazing thai food.
Little Bird - French bistro. Great food and atmosphere. Highly recommend.
Veritable Quandry - Good food, wine and atmosphere.
Beast - communal seating, very interesting and great food. Former Top Chef finalist and can be tough to get a reservation.
Food truck pods - so many good food trucks scattered all over the city. You can't miss them.

Staying at the Hilton on 6th Avenue. I'll be there for a week starting next week. Here are some things I'd be interested in...

Breweries/bars to visit?
Restaurants?
Runnings areas or trails or meet-up groups?
Any must see sight?

THANKS!

Breweries/bars to visit:
Cascade Brewery - sour beers (which I happen to love). Very unique style.
Green Dragon Bar - Across the street from Cascade. Redonkulous beer selection. Just silly.
Deschutes Brew Pub - Some very good beers and good bar food.

Restaurants:
Pok Pok - Cheap, authentic (not pad thai or panang curry), amazing thai food.
Little Bird - French bistro. Great food and atmosphere. Highly recommend.
Veritable Quandry - Good food, wine and atmosphere.
Beast - communal seating, very interesting and great food. Former Top Chef finalist and can be tough to get a reservation.
Food truck pods - so many good food trucks scattered all over the city. You can't miss them.

wfudkn has some good suggestions, as he was just here. I will add these suggestions, based on area of the city and proximity to public transit. You'll be right on the Green line MAX train, so that's convenient.

Breweries/bars:
Rogue Ale House; it's on 12th (maybe 11th?) and Johnson. Good beers as they have not only all the Rogue stuff, but also some microbrews they support. Good rotating selection of those, tasting flights are reasonable.
BridgePort Brewpub- 13th and Marshall. Good beers, good happy hour. Of the brewpubs, they have some of the better food (IMO). The pretzels w/ stoneground mustard are pretty killer, as are the hushpuppies.
These two are conveniently in walking distance from one another, and would make for a good afternoon. The area they're in, The Pearl, is pretty good for restaurants, too.
Any of the McMenamins joints- they do their own beer, but the McMenamins buildings are really neat because they just buy up old joints and turn them into brewpubs while maintaining the original 'intent' of the building. My favorite is probably the Baghdad Theater, which also shows some neat flicks, but the people watching there is phenomenal. It's on the East side of Hawthorne, one of the "hipper" areas. Again, GREAT people watching.
Hair of the Dog - more good beers; smaller place. I believe this is on the east side of the river, so a little farther from the others but if i recall, pretty easily accessible from one of the max lines...

Restaurants:
$- cheap (under $15) $$$- spendy (likely over $50 per person)

Little Big Burger- $- On 10th, more or less across from Powell's. Perfect for lunch. Really good burgers (and veggie burgers, if that's your thing... or even if you eat meat, the veggie burgers are good), but AMAZING fries- they fry them in truffel oil. Delish. The catsup is local, too. That's all they do- burgers and fries. They serve beer, also.
Andina- $$-$$$ - In the Pearl; I believe the cross streets are 12th and Glisan? Maybe? This is a Peruvian place. They make a great cocktail and their small plates are ~$10/ea and good to sample a couple different things. I believe they have a decent happy hour, too, but I've only been for legit dinner. Dinner is $$$, small plates would be more $$.
North 45 - $$ - In the Alphabet District, Glisan and 21st. From the corner, about 1/4 block north of Glisan on 21st... pretty narrow front, but great patio out back. They have over 100 whiskeys in the bar, and a great selection of Belgian beers. Their best food thing, imo, is the steamed mussels, which they do in a few different broths and pair with seasoned fries. If it's a warm-ish evening, I love the atmosphere of the patio. Plus, that area- the Alphabet District- is fun to window shop (dunno if there's a female on your trip, but she'd probably appreciate 23rd ave)
PorQueNo- $-$$ (really only $$ because the margaritas are $8/per, but worth it) they have a couple locations; I say go to the one on Hawthorne. It's about 4 blocks east of the Baghdad Theater (I say this as a landmark because in terms of parking/walking, that's an easily-found place). GREAT tacos. Seriously, amazing tacos w/ all kinds of meat options (carnitas, barbacoa, shrimp, different chicken, etc). The margaritas are also generously strong and delicious. There will be a line; it moves quickly and it's worth it.
Veritable Quandary - $$-$$$- Right downtown, on the corner of First and Jefferson (west side of the Hawthorne Bridge). Amazing food. I don't really know what else to say. Make a reservation. Show up early, have a (delicious) cocktail on the deck before being seated. I have yet to have a meal here and not be just blown away.
LucLac Vietnamese Kitchen - $ - Lunch and Happy Hour/Dinner (closed from 3-4 in the afternoon). Second and Taylor. My favorite lunch spot (from work). Best Pho around, imo, and really good offerings across the board in terms of vietnamese food. If you don't know if you like vietnamese food, you do. Trust me.
Ken's Artisan Pizza - $$ - On the East Side, hardest to get to using public transportation (because it doesn't really go there). Very good fire-cooked pizza. It opens at 5, if you're down for an early dinner I'd say go right at 5 and avoid the inevitable wait otherwise. Good beers, too (not a huge selection, but what they offer is good).
The Urban Farmer - $$ -Right at Pioneer Square, between 5th and 6th on Morrison (I think, or is it Yamhill?). Delicious Breakfast.
Tasty and Sons - $-$$ - east side; breakfast. Delicious.
Salt and Straw- $ (ice cream) - 23rd and Kearney. Also worth the wait (if you like Ice Cream).
Food Trucks - $ - The best pod is on 9th and Alder. Really easy to get to from your Hotel. My favorite one is "The Whole Bowl" but it's reallly pretty impossible to screw up with food carts. I will say the ones w/ long lines have long lines for a reason.

Running areas/Trails/MeetUp groups:
Wildwood Trail - pick it up at the Washington Park Max station (on the red/blue lines; this is the Zoo stop). This runs clear through the west hills, into Forest Park. Forest Park is unlike any city park you ever experienced; it really, truly is a forest. You can get lost. If you stay on the Wildwood Trail, this is harder to do. If you only have slick road shoes, be careful- it is a trail, it is slippery. That said, it's a beautiful trail with great views of the City. It also has a few different access points, but the WashPark stop is mentioned because it's just really accessible. Plus, if you wanted to make a day of sites, the trail right there paired with the Japanese Gardens would be a nice morning before a boozey afternoon.

EastBank Esplanade- This is the 3-ish mile loop around the river front, running between the Steel and Hawthorne Bridges. If it's a nice day, it can be crowded at lunch time so if you don't like dodging a ton of people, don't go at lunch time.

As for groups, not sure- check the Portland Running Company or Athletes Lounge websites for group runs. Not sure about meetups.

Must See sites:
Powells, Japanese Gardens (there is a $9 entrance fee, but it really is stunning)... I would recommend one of the walking tours (I know it sounds cheesy, but they're informative and if you're dorkly like me you'll appreciate the info). I believe they start from the info spot in the Pioneer Square info center (in front of Nordstroms). If you have the opportunity for day trips (can't figure out if this is a work trip or not), go into the Gorge (Hwy 84 east) and see Multnomah Falls (exit 31, I believe... there are signs) and drive along old Hwy 30 for some gorgeous views. If you have the opportunity to go up to Mt. Hood, Timberline Lodge is pretty cool (neat history, constructed under the WPA) and the Timberline Trail from right there would be good trail running (and again, stunning views). That's about an hour and a half outside of the city, but really pretty awesome. The coast is 1.5 hours away to the west, and Cannon Beach w/ the iconic Haystack Rock is easily accessible and findable, plus the town of Cannon Beach is quaint. If you're a Goonies fan, go to Ecola State Park and relive some childhood memories.
Also in Portland, the Saturday Market (down under/around the Morrison Bridge on Saturday and Sunday mornings) is unique. Good place for souveniers, too, as you can get something and support local artists.
VooDoo donuts- it's a damn mess trying to go on the weekend; go early or mid-morning on a weekday and it shouldn't be as bad. It's on 3rd and Ankney. It's open 24 hours, but it's a seedy area at night. They only take cash. Bacon Maple Bar is one of the most well-known things they do; the jelly-filled little voodoo dolls are good, I'm a fan of the lemon crueller, blueberry cake, or the fruit-loop covered creation. The donuts themselves aren't the best donuts, but the novelty of it all is pretty great. Be prepared for a sugar high.
If you like coffee, find somewhere that serves Stumptown Coffee and that serves it right (drip press). There are a few places that do. It's good stuff.
holy cow. That was a lot.

i need to remember this thread next spring when i do my seattle, portland, san fran trip.

bumping for my last post

is this the latest pdx thread? headed up there tonight for the weekend. i know we're doing pok pok saturday night, and i'll be working from a few coffee shops tomorrow. need other reccos. here's what my friend said, so any feedback on that would be TIGHT:

Misc:
Rent some bikes if the weather is good, can go from westside to east drunk without a problem.
Saturday Farmer's Market at PSU is really awesome - stand in line for Pine State Biscuits or the hatch breakfast burritos - both worth it
Saturday market down by the waterside is probably worth it just to see that area, but I've only been once and don't need to go back
There are so many bars & music venues that I just wrote down a bunch of places to eat - but refs haven't been to a lot of good places, so don't take it as gospel.
Rose Garden & Hoyt Arbortorium is nice if you like that stuff.
Cannon Beach, Multnomah, Mt. Hood, & Hood River are all great if the weather is good and you want to drive.

NW (23rd/21st):
Bars (mostly divey)- Wimpy's, Darkhorse, Blue Moon, Silver Dollar, Underdog, Marathon, Matador, 21st Ave Bar & Grill patio, Nob Hill Bar & Grill
Barista - I get a cappuccino here once a week
Little Big Burger - truffle fries
St. Jack's
Fireside
Besaw's
Lela's Bistro - Pork Belly Bahn Mi
Grant's Philly Cheesesteaks
Salt n Straw for ice cream, the line is almost always insane

Downtown (downtowny):
Bailey's Taproom for hipster craft beers
Santeria's for Mexican
Mary's Club for oldest strip club on west coast
Bunk Sandwiches for the pork belly cubano or anything else
Food Carts all over downtown, google them - hard to rec anything specific, but lots to choose from
Killer Burger is pretty good
Powell's Bookstore is solid
Stumptown Coffee
Boxer Ramen
Slice Pizza
Voodoo
Tasty n Alder
Lardo
Boxer Ramen
Jackknife
Portland City Grill has a rooftop bar, I've been told its a must

Pearl (yuppie):
Tilt

Mississippi-ish (trendy):
Bar Bar
Por Que No (Awesome tacos, also have a location in Hawthorne)
Bunch of other places I don't know about
George's Tavern (local joint on Interstate ave, but great fried chicken)
Tasty n Sons
Ox

Alberta (artsy):
Petite Provence
Bunch of other places I don't know about

Hawthorne/Division (hipster)
Pok Pok
Sen Yai
Ava Gene
Reel M Inn (awesome fried chicken dive bar)
Victory Bar (good hipster bar)
Shut up & eat - meatball sub
Apizza Scholls
The Barmuda Triangle area

Middle Eastside:
Nong's Khao Man Gai - delicious
Tails n Trotters - Porkstrami sandwich

I'm gonna nap now - just eat and drink as much as possible.

just in case, Strip clubs - Casa Diablo, Mary's, Magic Gardens, Sassy's, Devil's Point, Lucky Devil

Back