• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DNC Live Commentary

Of course, the President should be elected by popular vote so we can crush rent-seeking losers like the state of Iowa

Obama's Thursday acceptance speech has definitely been moved indoors, so 50,000 people have unused souvenir tickets.

Aren't they expected to have weather issues as well?

There has been quite a bit of talk about how Romney could win the popular vote and lose the election simply because he is going to win in a huge landslide in many of the red states.

I haven't read/heard the talk, but I've been thinking it's possible this year for 2 reasons. First, and as I've written on other threads, the EC is more favorable to a Dem nominee today because of the changing politics in NH, VA, CO, NM & NV. Not saying a Pub couldn't win, but the EC has turned from being more favorable to Pubs like it was in 2000 & 2004 to being more pro Dem. Second, as you said, a whole lot of whites in the South, some of whom may have voted for Clinton in the 90s, are gonna be lining up to vote for the white Mor(m)on dude.

And I find it ironic and amusing that the Pub plank wants to keep the EC, while it's part of the Dem plank to dump the EC.

I haven't read/heard the talk, but I've been thinking it's possible this year for 2 reasons. First, and as I've written on other threads, the EC is more favorable to a Dem nominee today because of the changing politics in NH, VA, CO, NM & NV. Not saying a Pub couldn't win, but the EC has turned from being more favorable to Pubs like it was in 2000 & 2004 to being more pro Dem. Second, as you said, a whole lot of whites in the South, some of whom may have voted for Clinton in the 90s, are gonna be lining up to vote for the white Mor(m)on dude.

And I find it ironic and amusing that the Pub plank wants to keep the EC, while it's part of the Dem plank to dump the EC.

It makes perfect sense in the long run. The EC, like many governmental institutions, grants disproportional representation to rural voters and disadvantages urban residents. Any individual election is less important than prolonging anti-urban policies.

There is a 10-20% chance of storms. This was done primarily because they can't fill the stadium - which is hardly a big knock on Obama. 75,000 is a lot of people to recruit.

They have 19,000 people on the waiting list. Other than that you'd be right.

What am I thinking? Even with 65,000 credentials (the number of seats available for this event) already distributed and 19,000 on the waiting list, DeacMan HAS to know more than everyone else.

That's the way it always is.

The forecast calls for 8.2% unemployment, 60% as much enthusiasm as last time, and only a 10% chance for Greek columns.

They were setting them up in Panther Stadium, but they won't fit in the hoops arena.

There is a 10-20% chance of storms. This was done primarily because they can't fill the stadium - which is hardly a big knock on Obama. 75,000 is a lot of people to recruit.

Well, that stadium filled up eight times to watch Jimmy Clausen start under center. I'd hope the President could do it once.

Well, that stadium filled up eight times to watch Jimmy Clausen start under center. I'd hope the President could do it once.

Maybe he could get as many people as attended Romney's speech at Ford Field

romneystadium.jpg

As far as the venue goes, the Dems now have something they can blame other than Republicans:

(Obama, on seeing that video: "You didn't sing that. Someone else made that happen.")

Romney got virtually no bounce from Ryan or his convention. He needed to move past Obama because Obama will get a lead leaving Charlotte that he will hold.

Splitting the Ryan VP choice from the GOP convention was a bad decision, IMO, but Romney was getting hammered on his taxes and needed to change the narrative as quickly as possible. So he burned the VP card for relief. Still, I think he sacrificed any true "surge potential" he could have gathered at the convention. I don't see how he, personally, can create the necessary momentum now. The convention wasn't a big help-- Romney was second choice for the majority of the attendees, and it showed (how many GOP speeches were given for the benefit of the speaker, and not Romney?). The only way Romney can change the game now, himself, through his own actions, is by destroying Obama in the debates. But who considers that likely? Obama is a very good debater, and more likable.

Last edited:

The waiting list is currently at 15K for tickets. The stadium was filled weeks ago.

Splitting the Ryan VP choice from the GOP convention was a bad decision, IMO, but Romney was getting hammered on his taxes and needed to change the narrative as quickly as possible. So he burned the VP card for relief. Still, I think he sacrificed any true "surge potential" he could have gathered at the convention. I don't see how he, personally, can create the necessary momentum now. The convention wasn't a big help-- Romney was second choice for the majority of the attendees, and it showed (how many GOP speeches were given for the benefit of the speaker, and not Romney?). The only way Romney can change the game now, himself, through his own actions, is by destroying Obama in the debates. But who considers that likely? Obama is a very good debater, and more likable.

I agree Obama is still the favorite and that Romney needs a game change in order to win. But I disagree that that game change can or will come from Romney himself. Unless 1 of the 2 of them implode at a debate, the debates won't change anything. And they both do well enough in debates that the likelihood of an implosion is tiny. I believe the game change for Romney will have to be external - some kind of international or economic event. If nothing major changes in the world, and we continue on the slow recovery road, I don't see Romney winning. Now if the EU were to implode and cause a worldwide downturn, then that's the type of game change that could get Romney over 270.

I agree Obama is still the favorite and that Romney needs a game change in order to win. But I disagree that that game change can or will come from Romney himself. Unless 1 of the 2 of them implode at a debate, the debates won't change anything. And they both do well enough in debates that the likelihood of an implosion is tiny. I believe the game change for Romney will have to be external - some kind of international or economic event. If nothing major changes in the world, and we continue on the slow recovery road, I don't see Romney winning. Now if the EU were to implode and cause a worldwide downturn, then that's the type of game change that could get Romney over 270.

Agree completely. Romney and the GOP diehards are basically rooting for a national disaster to take advantage of as a lifeline. It's their only path to victory. Expect nothing but doom, gloom, and impending Armageddon from conservative from here until election night. They will not bother running on a detailed platform of ideas and initiatives. Creating fear is pretty much their only bullet at this point.

Last edited:
Back