• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney's Taxes Held Ransom??

I believe he released more than one year.

No. He didn't. How do you consistently get simple news facts wrong?

He released 2010, an estimate of 2011 and will release 2011 when they're completed. You'd think he would show us records that demonstrate the business experience that he's running on.

No. He didn't. How do you consistently get simple news facts wrong?

He released 2010, an estimate of 2011 and will release 2011 when they're completed. You'd think he would show us records that demonstrate the business experience that he's running on.

That's still releasing everything he had for two years of taxes. And still rather woeful!

I wonder if the Romneys brought a bunch of money back into the country as part of an overseas voluntary disclosure program at some point? It's got to be something worse than just paying a low rate. He could spin that as just taking advantage of the deductions available, and that he still pays millions and millions in absolute dollars, etc.

Very possibly.

Given how desperately Romney wants to be president, I'm inclined to think if everything was perfectly on the up and up he wouldn't hesitate to release the records as a big Efff Uuuuuuuuuu to Democrats.

Given how desperately Romney wants to be president, I'm inclined to think if everything was perfectly on the up and up he wouldn't hesitate to release the records as a big Efff Uuuuuuuuuu to Democrats.

True. But given how desperately Romney wants to be President, I'm inclined to think his taxes would have been on the up and up for the last decade.

True. But given how desperately Romney wants to be President, I'm inclined to think his taxes would have been on the up and up for the last decade.

That would also make sense. When he lost in 2008, you'd think he would have gone the extra mile to have things flawless for 4 years so he could at least release those returns.

The guy has been audited. There can be no doubt. All you'll see is a guy paying taxes on dividends and interest at 15% minus deductions on charitable contributions and I'm sure plenty of income is in some sort of foundation. Hello, John Kerry. Does anyone really care?

Crap. I had $10 on Clinton making it to the 2 minute warning.

I apologize. You remind me so much of Gergen I can't get past it. And neither side is going to get traction on Romney's taxes or Obama's college records. I'm just playing along. Romney released tax records. You seem to want to do an anal probe. You think he hasn't been audited? Let the IRS comment on the subject and be done with it. What you really want is to show he pays less in taxes than Obama. And he probably does.

Romney has not revealed his taxes. He gave one year, which was last year, when the standard disclosure is seven years.

And if you don't think this issue is hurting him, you're in fantasy land.

Greed. Nothing illegal, but a few things that will piss off the middle and lower classes. Otherwise he'd disclose.

The thing about the grades that is so insane is how did Obama become the top person at the Harvard Law Review without having great grades?

Does any sane person actually think all those A types, looking to get huge contracts on Wall Street or go into politics would roll over and give such a prestigious position to someone who didn't have great grades?

I wonder if the Romneys brought a bunch of money back into the country as part of an overseas voluntary disclosure program at some point? It's got to be something worse than just paying a low rate. He could spin that as just taking advantage of the deductions available, and that he still pays millions and millions in absolute dollars, etc.

This has been my suspicion. Either that or a massive short position against "American" interests, or an investment/position involving something political he could be tied to. No chance it's illegal-- he's been running for office for two decades. But its something he knows the public will revile him for.

The thing about the grades that is so insane is how did Obama become the top person at the Harvard Law Review without having great grades?

Does any sane person actually think all those A types, looking to get huge contracts on Wall Street or go into politics would roll over and give such a prestigious position to someone who didn't have great grades?

I don't think the point about Obama's grades has anything to do with law school. You can't even make law review unless you have good grades in law school. That's the whole point of law review. No one, at least no one sane, is asking to see his law school transcripts to determine if he's smart or did well in school.

I think the point about his transcripts and school records is to determine the basis upon which he attended Colombia (and to a lesser degree Occidental). Did he make some sort of claim that flies in the face of the narrative he's provided to the American people about his background, etc. That's the real angle of those making the demand he release transcripts. Did he proclaim himself a foreign student for instance? Whether he did poorly at undergrad is pretty irrelevant. He still went to an Ivy League school and he still got into and did well at Harvard Law.

Somebody was probably joking in a tag a few weeks ago, but I'm starting to think it's something really bad like he was a regular contributor to Second Mile or perhaps some other organization that is now of ill repute.

It's got to be something new that most Americans don't want need an explanation to understand.

Back