• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOP suing to keep third party candidates off Presidential ballot

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
Around the country, the Republican Party is mounting legal challenges to keep third-party candidates off the ballot in November.

Writer Karl Dickey reports in the Examiner that “in recent weeks, with the full support and legal assistance of the Republican Party, [Gary] Johnson's ballot status has been challenged in Michigan, Pennsylvania, the District of Columbia, Iowa and now Ohio." Gary Johnson is the former governor of New Mexico and the Libertarian Party’s candidate for president of the United States. As of this writing, Johnson is on the ballot in 43 states.
On August 31, a senior advisor to Johnson released a statement regarding the various efforts to block Libertarian ballot access:

The national Republican Party may not want to publicly acknowledge the presence of a true fiscal conservative in this race, but they are certainly taking Gov. Johnson seriously enough to engage in a concerted campaign to get his name off ballots in key states before voters even get a chance to vote.

In states across the nation, Republican operatives, lawyers, and in some cases, elected officials, are filing frivolous challenges to Governor Johnson's ballot status. They know that even if their challenges fail, fending them off is a drain on our resources and a distraction from the real issues in this campaign. We don't have hundreds of millions of dollars to throw around, nor do we have the Republicans' endless supply of lawyers.

We have dealt with many challenges in this campaign from the major parties, who clearly don't want voters to have a viable third option in this election, but this attack on voting rights and democracy is over the top.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...-to-keep-third-parties-off-ballot-in-november

Suing to keep legitimate candidates off a ballot? Doesn't seem like the most American thing in the world to do.

The TN, FL, TX, MS and WI Legislatures are rushing to pass laws that make it illegal to vote unless you pledge to vote GOP and take a poll watcher into the voting booth with you.

Happens every election cycle. Happened with Ralph Nader too.

Shouldn't candidates win elections on their own merits rather than forcing others off the ballot in an attempt to inherit those voters?

Nah, I'm crazy. The hell am I thinking?

Shouldn't candidates win elections on their own merits rather than forcing others off the ballot in an attempt to inherit those voters?

Nah, I'm crazy. The hell am I thinking?

The Electoral College says hello.

So, to recap: the GOP wants to limit the voting rights of the extremely poor, the elderly, and any libertarians that have gotten out of line. But no, voter suppression is about law and order.

I guess that's my point. None of this is good for anyone. Do you support these policies, so long as both sides do them, or do you find them offensive regardless?

I'm not particularly cool with any of it and trust that the process will find that Johnson is on the ballot legitimately wherever his campaign is challenged. I do find it somewhat offensive, but am more offended (or is it just amusement?) by the faux offense taken when somebody of a different political persuasion does the same thing somebody of a like minded political persuasion did.

I'm not particularly cool with any of it and trust that the process will find that Johnson is on the ballot legitimately wherever his campaign is challenged. I do find it somewhat offensive, but am more offended (or is it just amusement?) by the faux offense taken when somebody of a different political persuasion does the same thing somebody of a like minded political persuasion did.

The trouble is Johnson and Goode don't have the $$ Romney has. So that means they're spending much of their $$ defending bullshite lawsuits instead of running for office. I honestly don't remember. Did Gore spend $$ in courts fighing Nader or did Bush the Elder spend $$ in courts fighting Perot?

Where have I supported an action of political disenfranchisement? You think that's a minor thing?

Where have I supported an action of political disenfranchisement? You think that's a minor thing?

I never said you did. I never detected any outrage on your part. Just a bit of head shaking is all.

But look, this shit happens. I'm not cool with it, but let's not act like Republicans are the only ones who cherry pick what is or who is on the ballot. Targeting votes is exactly what Gore did with his recount business in 2000 when he wanted to recount only the votes in districts friendly to him.

Both major parties have used similar tactics to disenfranchise the Libertarian Party since it's inception. They want to hold onto their power.

Yeah, those pubs sure are evil:

Wait, what??

Democrats sue to keep Nader off November ballot

Democrats are going to court to keep Ralph Nader off the November ballot in Washington, as they have in other states.
Nader, an Independent candidate for president, was certified to be on the ballot last week. By yesterday, two lawsuits had been filed to block him.

One lawsuit was filed yesterday in Thurston County Superior Court by the Washington State Democratic Central Committee; another was filed in the same court Friday by Olympia attorney Ken Valz. Both challenge the legitimacy of the 1,000 voter signatures that got Nader on the ballot.

Nader has accused Democrats of bringing frivolous lawsuits to stifle his candidacy.

RATS Sue To Keep Nader Off Florida Ballot (Say Ralph Never Nominated By His Party)
NBC 6 ^ | 9/02/04
Posted on Thu Sep 02 2004 23:56:49 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) by Libloather

Democrats Sue To Keep Nader Off Florida Ballot
Dems Say Candidate Never Nominated By His Party
POSTED: 6:37 pm EDT September 2, 2004

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The Florida Democratic party is suing the state and Ralph Nader to keep him off the November ballot, saying that the Reform Party's nomination process was a sham.

Whichever side thinks they're about to lose is going to do this. Needs to be reformed, but it's also not a good sign for Republicans if voter ID laws and third party candidates have them scared right now.

Back