• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crossroads, AFP shutting it down in Michigan

Spot the Wonder

Reaction score
Mitt Romney's conservative allies are bypassing Michigan with their advertising while stepping up efforts in other battleground states — suggesting campaign strategists don't believe his road to the White House leads through his native state.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120906/POLITICS01/209060394#ixzz25iI1jUzG

Already stopped ads in PA, now in Michigan. Rmoney's starting to run out of states.

After the GM misstep, Romney really doesn't have a shot in either state. He is running out of states, but it makes sense to try a strategy that has some hope of success. He has to has to has to win Ohio, and he's not winning there right now. I bet all that money goes there and to Florida. I feel really bad for TV viewers in those two states.

One in eight jobs in OH have to do with the automobile industry. Think that helps Romney in Ohio?

I'd like to know where Strickland got that number, because it seems really, really high. That seems like it might have been true in the 1970s. I doubt that's even true in Cuyahoga County these days. Is he counting gas station attendants or something?

Parts producers, plants, delivery people and many other direct employees. He has said it so often and no one has challenged him.

Even if it's 1 in 10 or 1 in 12, that's a huge number and they all have families.

Remember in 2008 when McCain pulled out of Michigan and Palin went all mavericky in the press asking why in the hell were they conceding Michigan?

Only one of Ohio's top 20 employers is a car company -- and it's Honda, not an "American" automaker. Unless he's counting everything from people that make steel to sell insurance to electrical equipment to gas stations, I find anything near that number hard to believe.

Remember in 2008 when McCain pulled out of Michigan and Palin went all mavericky in the press asking why in the hell were they conceding Michigan?

Thus confirming that they were conceding Michigan.

I wonder if they will ever look back and ask themselves, "Why did I spend so much money on TV commercials?"

I do know that if you want to avoid political ads, watching Jeopardy is not a good way to do it. Old people love Jeopardy, and old people vote. Ergo, in my half hour a day of watching it I probably see a dozen damn ads.

I wonder if they will ever look back and ask themselves, "Why did I spend so much money on TV commercials?"

538 believes that the lack of a GOP convention bounce likely indicates that the voting population isn't being swayed much by rhetoric. The upshot might be that the Romney ad buy edge won't amount to movement in the polls. In other words, negative ads aren't moving the electorate.

I do know that if you want to avoid political ads, watching Jeopardy is not a good way to do it. Old people love Jeopardy, and old people vote. Ergo, in my half hour a day of watching it I probably see a dozen damn ads.

The 700 Club ads kill me. The 700 Club? Seriously??? It's 2012. I can't believe that bullshit still wastes bandwidth.

They have US political ads in Chile?

538 believes that the lack of a GOP convention bounce likely indicates that the voting population isn't being swayed much by rhetoric. The upshot might be that the Romney ad buy edge won't amount to movement in the polls. In other words, negative ads aren't moving the electorate.

Corollary question...what "is" moving the electorate? I don't think they're paying much attention to the conventions, and the ads are just a turnoff. Have people started paying attention even later, like the debates? Are the debates the only real chance now to move the needle in a conventional way? And what if any unconventional ways are working or are available possibilities?

I think we're seeing a shift in the electorate and how to reach them, and I'm not sure either party has figured out how to do it.

The overwhelming majority of the electorate (even the supposed "undecideds") made their decision during the 'pub primary. Outside of a natural disaster, a war, or an economic collapse along the lines of the fall of 2008, nobody is changing their respective minds between now and election day. You either stand with the President or you don't.

I have always thought that if a guy like Romney, who is clearly behind in the polls, but is still statistical capable of winning, took 75% of his ad money and instead of putting ads out there set up a non-profit and just starting going around the country helping different groups of citizen that legitimately needed help, that you could landslide an election that you otherwise had almost no shot of winning. Instead of bombarding people with terrible ads about your opponent, make a few ads that show what you are doing with your campaign money. Imagine what 500 million dollars could do around the country in battleground states to support the different communities and sway voters.

What is more likely to change a swing vote:

1. A death a doom ad about your opponent ruining our nation?
2. 20 million dollars to a local need that honestly makes a difference...

You have about 7-8 swing states. Pour 50 million into each state in adulterated service to the communities. Use a 100 million ad budget to simply explain what you are doing and why it is important. Use the debates to explain your policy. Make the case for public funding of campaign and say that you don't think it is right to waste so much money on attack ads, so until we have public financing you are goign to use your money to help people, not demonize your opponent.

I am sure I am naive, but I honestly think it would work. I think it would work in part because it goes against everything that we are currently doing as a nation politically, and I think both parties are dying for some genuine leadership...we must look at approval ratings for our government leaders for any evidence we need.

I think that would be seen or at least spun as trying to buy the election, unless you had been doing it prior to running for president.

Also don't think the corporates that donated the money would be too happy with it.

Why would using the money to help communities be considered any more an effort to buy an election than everything that money is funnelled into now?

I bet they could get a great grassroots campaign going with videos from different events.

I like it, Wrangor.

Back