• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jobs Report - Lower than Expected Jobs Growth

Politics.

Of course. It is amusing to hear....some people....argue "9/11 occurred eight months into Bush's watch; he should have fixed it", but "four years into Obama's term, he's not responsible for the economy!!!!!1111".

I'm not sure an acute security failure and a macro-economic recovery are comparable events, but I agree with you in spirit. I can't wait until November 7.

Last edited:
I'm not sure an acute security failure and an macro-economic recovery are comparable events, but I agree with you in spirit. I can't wait until November 7.

You should agree with me more often, but it's a free country.

Your assumption is, to put it bluntly, full of shit. There is no evidence whatsoever that any Republican in congress will agree to any tax increase. I just went thru this with someone a few days ago. Give me the name of a Republican in congress who has agreed to an increase of any amount....under any circumstances....in marginal tax rates. So far, nobody has given me the name of a single elected Republican in congress who has done this. And nobody is going to give me such a name....because there aren't any such Republicans in congress. When you say "tax increases", I'm talking about "tax increases"....not some kind of potential mysterious sleight of hand revenue increase, closing loopholes, or bookkeeping shenanigans. I'm talking about black & white, easy to see, marginal tax rate increases. I'll be waiting.......

Boehner didn't offer to increase taxes in that aborted deal with Obama. His plan called for lowering tax rates.

As I demonstrated earlier, Obama has also offered to close loopholes and lower the corporate tax rate. He has no problem with it raising revenue, and neither apparently does Boehner.

No Republicans are going to raise taxes. It's a non-starter, which it should be. You don't need it to come up with a deal. We know the good folks in Washington know how to tax. It's the one thing they've demonstrated that they're good at over the years. What they're bad at is cutting spending. They're especially bad at cutting spending over the long term, but good at keeping taxes in place long after they've reneged on spending cuts.

I've got no problem with lowering the corporate tax rate from 35% to 28%, and I think closing loopholes is great. The problem with raising revenue only by closing loopholes...not to mention actually lowering rates again in the process!...is that it is a nebulus way to raise revenue. Kind of like promising those spending cuts you have talked about. Also, as fast as loopholes can be closed, you have accountants & attorneys coming up with ways to get around it. Why can't Republicans make just a tiny concession....even a teany-tiny little one....on rates for the very top earners, just to show they are willing to compromise a little bit, for a change? After all, those rate cuts were sold as temporary cuts and were supposed to expire two years ago. The signal the Republicans are sending...and have been sending since the day Obama took office...is "we're not going to go along with a single goddamned thing that anyone else wants to do. You'll do it our way, by God, or it's not going to get done!"

They won't make a concession on taxes because they remember the lesson of George H.W. Bush. It is not going to happen. Obama would absolutely love to see them make such a concession because it would completely de-motivate the GOP base when it came time to vote. He knows he isn't going to be able to rely on that.

In the end, he had his chance to raise taxes or do them the way he wanted to and he blew it. He extended them. He also raised taxes for Obamacare, and said taxes aren't even going to be close enough to pay for the program.

As I demonstrated earlier, Obama has also offered to close loopholes and lower the corporate tax rate. He has no problem with it raising revenue, and neither apparently does Boehner.

No Republicans are going to raise taxes. It's a non-starter, which it should be. You don't need it to come up with a deal. We know the good folks in Washington know how to tax. It's the one thing they've demonstrated that they're good at over the years. What they're bad at is cutting spending. They're especially bad at cutting spending over the long term, but good at keeping taxes in place long after they've reneged on spending cuts.

Meaningless rhetoric. Apparently Pols have had a problem taxing too since tax rates and tax revenue as a % of GDP are both at lows. Really what Pols are good at is lowering taxes, increasing spending and getting somebody in the future to pay for it.

I like that Arlingtondeac has started to post more. He's one of the saner voices on these boards.

Tuffalo,

You love talking shit to me. You were a sheep with this jobs report and sheep get slaughtered. Up 15% today, that's just dirty. I'll manage fellow Wake Forest people's money at half my usual rate, minimum investment $250k.

Tuffalo,

You love talking shit to me. You were a sheep with this jobs report and sheep get slaughtered. Up 15% today, that's just dirty. I'll manage fellow Wake Forest people's money at half my usual rate, minimum investment $250k.

It is comforting when caturday confirms I'm not crazy that thinking almost everyone on this thread is wrong

It is comforting when caturday confirms I'm not crazy that thinking almost everyone on this thread is wrong

its actually kind of sad that caturday is one of the most reasonable posters on this board.

Tuffalo,

Oh noes a jobs report came in basically the same as all the other jobs reports since 2010 :willynilly: GMAFB. You have my sincere condolences for the fact that you don't have a single friend on earth to share your good day with.

Oh noes a jobs report came in basically the same as all the other jobs reports since 2010 :willynilly: GMAFB. You have my sincere condolences for the fact that you don't have a single friend on earth to share your good day with.

I'm sure the pillowcases he's stuffed with ALL THAT MONEY is just like a friend.

Catuday is either a liar or a pompous asshole. Take your pick.

Yep, he is pretty much like dodo or KA. Ruins every thread he posts in.

Back