• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago teachers are striking

A Chicago Public Schools spokesperson said average pay for teachers, without benefits, is $76,000.
Wow. That's like double the Dash. Of course, you have to teach in Chicago...

Rahm should have put this down ‘til after the election. Last thing Obama needs is for some brain dead voters to make a connection between labor action / bad for kids / pampered, entitled government employees and the Democratic Party philosophical underpinnings.

I'm guessing that's part of the reason they're doing it now. But I imagine Rahm is taking this news quite calmly and is using the Queen's English in all his communications without straying into use of the vernacular.

I could be totally wrong, but my general take from people being quoted in lots of Chicago articles is that many parents are on the side of the teachers.

724, have you been over to Kenwood today? I've heard it was raucous.

American teachers are grossly underpaid.

I agree, but it seems to me that as you gain pay you should also be subject to stricter evaluation standards. I hate putting things on "sliding scales," but it seems normal for job security and pay to operate at two ends of a sliding scale.

Like this: $$$$ <-------------> job security

Chicago teachers want both, which asks a lot of the city.

If you increase pay you get better teachers. wouldn't you want really fucking smart, high-achieving students with good study habits and learning skills to become teachers?? I would. As it is, our best and brightest go into finance, where they make nothing, teach nothing, help nothing. They just bet and make money for nothing, and America has a collective orgasm over them like they are heroes.

76k in Chicago is piss. Urine. It's nothing.

If you increase pay you get better teachers. wouldn't you want really fucking smart, high-achieving students with good study habits and learning skills to become teachers?? I would. As it is, our best and brightest go into finance, where they make nothing, teach nothing, help nothing. They just bet and make money for nothing, and America has a collective orgasm over them like they are heroes.

76k in Chicago is piss. Urine. It's nothing.

Interesting take. Have you lived in Chicago or in "Chicagoland". Because 76K is a lot more than piss there. It's more than the average salary in Chicago of college graduates in a host of fields. Somehow folks are getting along.

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search/q-college+graduate/l-Chicago%2C+IL

COLLEGE GRADUATES.....doesn't say of equal experience or equal college....

Got it. We have reason to believe Chicago teachers on average are going to better schools that typical college graduates in all other endeavors and have more work experience than college graduates in other fields. :wtf:

And, if that is the case, how do you explain the poor performance of the Chicago public schools?

democrats control a city with lots of minorities. duh

I have family in Chicago, go up there all the time. It is still a shitty salary. I guess you want teachers who just "get along." I want teachers who make what the finance douchebags make, ya know. Our society rewards the wrong shit. yaay, free market!

Yeah, we should keep discouraging our best and brightest from teaching, and make sure we encourage more bankers! hedge fund managers! America, fuck yeah!!

down with teachers! down with teachers! those greedy bastards and bitches are ruining the country.!!!

American teachers are grossly underpaid.

Serious question - are they? I'd be interested in an unbiased look at teacher compensation that factors in benefits (including retirement) and vacation/holiday. I highly doubt they are underpaid.

Got it. We have reason to believe Chicago teachers on average are going to better schools that typical college graduates in all other endeavors and have more work experience than college graduates in other fields. :wtf:

And, if that is the case, how do you explain the poor performance of the Chicago public schools?

Here's the apples to apples numbers:

" the CPS gives a starting salary of $50,577 for a first-year teacher with a bachelor's degree. But that's including the seven-percent "pension pickup," which comes from the Board of Education: it's compensation, obviously, but not money teachers get right now."

You are talking about $46-47,000 not $71,000 for college graduates.

Here's the apples to apples numbers:

" the CPS gives a starting salary of $50,577 for a first-year teacher with a bachelor's degree. But that's including the seven-percent "pension pickup," which comes from the Board of Education: it's compensation, obviously, but not money teachers get right now."

You are talking about $46-47,000 not $71,000 for college graduates.

Hey dumbo. The link I gave you was for all college graduates, not those just entering the job force.

The median salary for a graduate of DePaul (hard to get any more "Chicago" than DePaul) at present is about $43K. At the midpoint of their career it rises to $80K. And that is the median, not the average. And DePaul is fine school - or will you now advise me that they couldn't produce a good teacher at DePaul.

Again, :wtf:

Can't help yourself can you? Have to insult....my bad your shit don't stink...even after getting beaten like a $3 mule (and not admitting he lost) his arrogance and name calling return.

724, have you been over to Kenwood today? I've heard it was raucous.

I rode my bike past Kenwood Academy on the way to work this morning and it was pretty tame. I passed four or five schools with picketers. Some schools more fervent than others. They've got a huge rally going now on in front of the CPS headquarters downtown. Lots of streets shut down. Pretty interesting.

Another issue going into the debate was to include a cap on students in a classroom in the teachers' contract. I don't know if that specific issue has been resolved or not, but at one point CPS balked at including a 37-student cap in the contract.

Having taught (briefly) in the inner-city, I think it's really hard for people to imagine what it's like to be a teacher here. People who have never set foot in a classroom have some pretty strong opinions on how it should be.

76K isn't necessarily chump change, but it could probably be a little higher. I'm sympathetic to middle school and high school salaries with regards to their salaries and performances being linked to testing. I'm a little bit less so with regards to elementary school teachers. It's gotta be hard as hell to teach inner city in a lot of bigger cities.

Back