• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago teachers are striking

You jumped to a numerous poor conclusions here. I think we need innovation in education (as we do in health care) to help break the cycle. We need to spend more but need to spend it in new ways.

FWIW, the idea that our best and brightest will chose education if it were a higher paid salary is misguided. I know very few top shelf MBAs who have the personalities or acumen to ever teach school.

The idea that top shelf MBAs are our only best and brightest is laughable and way out of touch. Not sure why teaching is the only job that people believe wouldn't be more attractive with higher pay.

I'm certain that #4 was directed toward me. However, I never said a word about it being the fault of Republicans that teachers in Chicago don't make more money. My post was a generalized statement that "Republicans would rather spend money on useless wars than on education"....posted after reading several posts from Republican-leaning posters on this board that took the basic approach that teachers in Chicago were making too much money.

Anyway, you know my statement is true. Look at Republicans in congress. Where are their spending priorities? On education or on defense?

Unfortunately the answer is all of the above...just like their Democrat counter parts. Thank God for all of us more money = better results when it comes to governmental funding.

You had a good paying government job. I worked for the government for two years. My starting pay was about $65/month, and by the time I ended the two years it was up to about $240/month.

WTF, we all know $65 in 1845 is the equivaluent of about $4000 today. So you made $48,000 in today's dollars. Stop whining.

Pubs are workin' hard for education in NC...

Einstein%20Tillis.JPG

No, the dollar multiple would be somewhere between 4 & 5 from that time. So in today's dollars I would have had starting pay of $260/$325 per month and ending pay of $960/$1200 per month. Annualized that would be a starting salary of $3,120 to $3,900/year and an ending salary of $11,520 to $14,400/year.

are you Abraham Lincoln?

If someone paid my 76k right now to go to Chicago and teach inner city schools though I'd do it hands down. Give me a couple years there and I'm set.

If someone paid my 76k right now to go to Chicago and teach inner city schools though I'd do it hands down. Give me a couple years there and I'm set.

Again, isn't this the average salary?

Looks like I have to answer my own question:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/June-2011/Chicago-Teacher-Salaries-The-Long-View/

2010-2011: the CPS gives a starting salary of $50,577 for a first-year teacher with a bachelor's degree. But that's including the seven-percent "pension pickup," which comes from the Board of Education: it's compensation, obviously, but not money teachers get right now.
Since that doesn't seem to be regularly included in the salaries quoted by news reports, it's probably better for comparison to subtract it, which can easily be done with the more detailed tables provided by CPS (PDF).
If we do that, the starting salary is $47,628. The maximum, for a teacher with 20 years' experience and a doctorate, is $88,680 ($93,817 if you include the pension pickup). The average, according to the AP, is $69,000.

Last edited:
You had a good paying government job. I worked for the government for two years. My starting pay was about $65/month, and by the time I ended the two years it was up to about $240/month.

And these teachers have an even better paying job.

Again, isn't this the average salary?

Looks like I have to answer my own question:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/June-2011/Chicago-Teacher-Salaries-The-Long-View/

2010-2011: the CPS gives a starting salary of $50,577 for a first-year teacher with a bachelor's degree. But that's including the seven-percent "pension pickup," which comes from the Board of Education: it's compensation, obviously, but not money teachers get right now.
Since that doesn't seem to be regularly included in the salaries quoted by news reports, it's probably better for comparison to subtract it, which can easily be done with the more detailed tables provided by CPS (PDF).
If we do that, the starting salary is $47,628. The maximum, for a teacher with 20 years' experience and a doctorate, is $88,680 ($93,817 if you include the pension pickup). The average, according to the AP, is $69,000.

Yeah $46,000 is about what teachers start at in San Diego. Tried to point that out earlier, but everyone keeps seeing these huge dollar signs. Go spend $15,000 getting a credential. Add that on top of whatever loans you have after four years in college. Start at $46,000 in a profession where benefits and raises are constantly getting cut and see how long you last.

If you increase pay you get better teachers. wouldn't you want really fucking smart, high-achieving students with good study habits and learning skills to become teachers?? I would. As it is, our best and brightest go into finance, where they make nothing, teach nothing, help nothing. They just bet and make money for nothing, and America has a collective orgasm over them like they are heroes.

76k in Chicago is piss. Urine. It's nothing.

Lol at this dude saying 76k in Chicago is piss. I'm not saying that rich, but it would quite nice.

I don't want our best and brightest teaching. I want them in the private sector creating immediate jobs and making things go. I want them doing, not teaching.

You don't have to be the best or the brightest to teach kindergarten, or, for that matter, calculus to a high school senior. You have to be reasonably intelligent and have a passion for teaching. The promise of a $76k average salary is plenty enough not to discourage someone who has that passion, especially considering the vacation time teachers have. By the time it's all said and done, that probably amortizes out to a ~$100k job in the private sector once you factor in all the time off.

To think, as some on this board seem to suggest, that teaching salaries should be comparable to similar private sector jobs is ludicrous.

Last edited:
The "all the time off" argument has to be the dumbest one consistently made on these boards.

Yeah $46,000 is about what teachers start at in San Diego. Tried to point that out earlier, but everyone keeps seeing these huge dollar signs. Go spend $15,000 getting a credential. Add that on top of whatever loans you have after four years in college. Start at $46,000 in a profession where benefits and raises are constantly getting cut and see how long you last.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't teachers avail themselves of some serious loan forgiveness after 10 years?

I don't want our best and brightest teaching. I want them in the private sector creating immediate jobs and making things go. I want them doing, not teaching.

You clearly don't have children.

You don't have to be the best or the brightest to teach kindergarten, or, for that matter, calculus to a high school senior. You have to be reasonably intelligent and have a passion for teaching. The promise of a $76k average salary is plenty enough not to discourage someone who has that passion, especially considering the vacation time teachers have. By the time it's all said and done, that probably amortizes out to a ~$100k job in the private sector once you factor in all the time off.

To think, as some on this board seem to suggest, that teaching salaries should be comparable to similar private sector jobs is ludicrous.

exhibit A of why the country is in the shitter.

Of course, I'll hear back about how its the fault of the working poor and the lazy indigent.

Last edited:
Lol at this dude saying 76k in Chicago is piss. I'm not saying that rich, but it would quite nice.

for a teaching job, it is piss. They aren't babysitters, they're the ones who spend the whole day with your kid trying to teach him and 30 other kids.

Again, this country's priorities are totally out of whack. I'm sure you don't raise an eyebrow when you read that lawyers getting people out of DWIs make twice that. You pat him on the back for going to school for three extra years and getting out there and making his ends.

God forbid a teacher should get paid more

Back