• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago teachers are striking

Why do we need our best and brightest teaching kindergarten? This makes no sense to me.

We need reasonably intelligent people with a passion for the job. Bill Gates needs to be building computers, not teaching children the alphabet.

You can't be serious. Are you one of those people who thinks you only need a 1st grade education to teach kindergarten?

The point is that the myth was alive and well enough for him to run on.

I think that was more because he was the most high profile person to run for the office. Hard to beat Obama's guy for Chicago mayor.

I'm sorry, but how long can it take to devise a lesson plan for first graders? And even for high schoolers, once it's done, it's done. Summers, holidays, fall, winter, and spring breaks? What's an average school year? 180 days? My first 5 years of practicing law I had worked 180 days by the end of July.

And you were no doubt compensated far in excess of what a teacher made. The job absolutely has its perks, but to denigrate the importance of early childhood education makes me thank God that you are not in any way, shape, or form associated with education policy.

I'm sorry, but how long can it take to devise a lesson plan for first graders? And even for high schoolers, once it's done, it's done. Summers, holidays, fall, winter, and spring breaks? What's an average school year? 180 days? My first 5 years of practicing law I had worked 180 days by the end of July.

Have you ever tried to keep a room full of first graders engaged, entertained, and learning for hours at a time? I'd imagine it takes quite a bit of prep work.

Boo fucking hoo, Big Law. You are not the only lawyer on the board. You are not the only Big Law lawyer on the board. You are not the only lawyer who has billed 2200 or 2300 hours in a year on the board. But you appear to be the only one who doesn't have the slightest understanding of the teaching profession.

Junebug, do you think as a lawyer that you had more value that a 1st grade teacher?

I'm sorry, but how long can it take to devise a lesson plan for first graders? And even for high schoolers, once it's done, it's done. Summers, holidays, fall, winter, and spring breaks? What's an average school year? 180 days? My first 5 years of practicing law I had worked 180 days by the end of July, walking uphill both ways to the office. The weeks alternated between blinding blizzards and 140 degree heat. I wasn't allowed water to go to the bathroom.

FIFY

You can't be serious. Are you one of those people who thinks you only need a 1st grade education to teach kindergarten?

no kidding. two major things drove me away from the republican party and the "conservative" movement.

- religious right
- shitting on the teaching profession

it baffles me that you fuckheads think, for one second, that teaching kindergarten is somehow less important than practicing law or getting rich betting on derivatives.

unreal.

I don't even have kids. But a blind person can see that the nations with the best educated, best-prepared citizens are going to have an advantage economically. We have supply-siders and anti-labor posters on here belly-aching about teachers making too much money, and how easy it is to be a teacher, and the summers off boo hooing about their own hours. . un fucking real. go get a job teaching and get back to us about how easy it is and how teachers are freeloaders. That's the supply-sider fall back every time, that anyone not making big shit money who is interested in collective solutions to problems is a fucking freeloader. It is the single most harmful rhetoric in the US right now.

Not placing the highest priority on education will be America's undoing.

Last edited:
no kidding. two major things drove me away from the republican party and the "conservative" movement.

- religious right

it baffles me that you fuckheads think, for one second, that teaching kindergarten is somehow less important than practicing law or getting rich betting on derivatives.

Afuckingmen.

Board RWers who attack teachers, their pay, their professionalism, their contributions actively harm our nation. It hurts our economic competitiveness. it harms our national security.

These brainwashed, programmed actions created by RW thought masters are a disgrace to our nation.

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me why Chicago has some of the most shitastic public schools in the world despite paying their teachers more than any other urban district in the country.

And once I have the answer to that question I'd love to know why increasing the pay of the teachers is going to suddenly make them and the schools more effective in Chicago.

Public unions give a ton of lip service to providing the right "resources" for our children to learn. Apparently in Chicago (and presumably elsewhere) that's code for pay us more money, give us more benefits, don't hurt our pensions which no one has bothered to fund (not at all their fault, but a huge problem nonetheless), don't make us accountable for any results and don't make us work longer hours. Because those are the issues at the heart of this strike. They're pissed Emmanuel is seeking to reform the system. I've heard one report that speaks to class size as an issue. No one has raised facilities or other resources as central to this fight. So what is it exactly the union is fighting for? Are they looking for the "best and brightest" to come into the profession? Or are they looking to protect the most senior members of their profession regardless of outcomes? Are they really looking to provide "better" resources to the children or just the same staff with more shiny objects?

Board RWers who attack teachers, their pay, their professionalism, their contributions actively harm our nation. It hurts our economic competitiveness. it harms our national security.

These brainwashed, programmed actions created by RW thought masters are a disgrace to our nation.

My sense is the ‘board RWers’ aren’t attacking the profession or teachers per se, rather they’re chapped about the willingness of said teachers to throw the kids (and the kids’ families) under the bus to improve already well-feathered nests. Rahm is trying to fix a broken fiscal situation. Others are trying to fix a broken educational situation. The union could have opted to stay at the table and continue working through this, but decided the all-important kids would be useful pawns in forcing the issue. That hacks some people off (including me).

How the hell are we going to fund a superpower at 0% taxes?

Oh wait, there are reasonable tax increases below the 100% level and above 0%? Golly gee, Mr. Straw Man.

No straw man here. RJ stated "Tax cuts do not create jobs". That is flat wrong, otherwise a decrease to 0% taxes would not create jobs, nor would and increase to 100% eliminate jobs. Both of those positions are preposterous. While the amount of cuts relative to the amount of jobs is certainly up for debate, to state that cuts do not create jobs is incorrect.

My sense is the ‘board RWers’ aren’t attacking the profession or teachers per se, rather they’re chapped about the willingness of said teachers to throw the kids (and the kids’ families) under the bus to improve already well-feathered nests. Rahm is trying to fix a broken fiscal situation. Others are trying to fix a broken educational situation. The union could have opted to stay at the table and continue working through this, but decided the all-important kids would be useful pawns in forcing the issue. That hacks some people off (including me).

Well feathered nests, that's EXACTLY what I was saying.

No straw man here. RJ stated "Tax cuts do not create jobs". That is flat wrong, otherwise a decrease to 0% taxes would not create jobs, nor would and increase to 100% eliminate jobs. Both of those positions are preposterous. While the amount of cuts relative to the amount of jobs is certainly up for debate, to state that cuts do not create jobs is incorrect.

Jesus Christ tax cuts don't create jobs. DEMAND creates jobs.

All you talk about is insane extremes.

Raising taxes 4%, to Clinton era, levels will not cost a SINGLE job. Anyone who says they do is an idiot.

Last edited:

Tax cuts cut taxes. That's what they do.

They coincide under the right conditions with other processes that create conditions under which job creation is more favorable.

Tax cuts, as is, without proper policy adjustment and private sector job creation incentivization do not create anything, let alone jobs.

Jesus Christ tax cuts don't create jobs. DEMAND creates jobs.

All you talk about is insane extremes.

Raising taxes 4%, to Clinton era, levels will not cost a SINGLE job. Anyone who says they do is an idiot.

Pot, meet kettle.

- religious right

Great post.

Back