• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta Dining

I wasn't even comparing it to it to ESS or Eugene. It's just that the food itself wasn't great (at least what we had). I defs apprecite the rec nonetheless (and others in our hotel said it was great as well). And it was nice that it was a fairly short walk as opposed to every other meal which has required cabs.

Got Miller Union tonight. Then I'm not going to eat for another week because my time in ATL has been spent doing nothing but eating very rich food and drinking a spectacular amount of booze.

http://clatl.com/atlanta/first-look-king-duke/Content?oid=8513139

Miller Union was spectacular. I'm a huge fan of what they've got going on.

I thought I had PMd you re Aria, but it looks like it did not send. Aria is great. What is the scenario you are going in? During the week, it is a popular business dinner spot, so be sure to make a reservation. To that end, it can be kinda loud (as it is a small place) during the week w larger parties. We went there for our anniversary this year and had a great meal. They have a real nice (and pricey) wine list. If this is a work dinner, you are great. If it is a date, I would let them know that when you make a reservation and ask to sit in a booth up top as opposed to the main level dining area. If you like steak, the do a great pepper crusted. Seafood options are also spot on.

I thought I had PMd you re Aria, but it looks like it did not send. Aria is great. What is the scenario you are going in? During the week, it is a popular business dinner spot, so be sure to make a reservation. To that end, it can be kinda loud (as it is a small place) during the week w larger parties. We went there for our anniversary this year and had a great meal. They have a real nice (and pricey) wine list. If this is a work dinner, you are great. If it is a date, I would let them know that when you make a reservation and ask to sit in a booth up top as opposed to the main level dining area. If you like steak, the do a great pepper crusted. Seafood options are also spot on.

My dad and I take an annual baseball trip and normally go to a different city each year. However, I am a huge Braves fan and we haven't gone to Atlanta since I was in high school. Since I have gotten older we have turned in into one night of baseball and one night of good food and wine, so we have reservations at Aria for tomorrow night (might be scrambling to find somewhere for tonight instead though since it looks like rain so we might flip our dinner and game nights).

My dad and I take an annual baseball trip and normally go to a different city each year. However, I am a huge Braves fan and we haven't gone to Atlanta since I was in high school. Since I have gotten older we have turned in into one night of baseball and one night of good food and wine, so we have reservations at Aria for tomorrow night (might be scrambling to find somewhere for tonight instead though since it looks like rain so we might flip our dinner and game nights).

Yes, tomorrow looks like the night for a ball game. Call aria and ask them to switch.

Aria is pretty buttoned up. Formal, older crowd. Most guys wearing jackets. Great for a upscale date night or occasion dinner like DSD mentioned, but I dont think its someplace I would go eat with just my pops and I.

or, better yet, go somewhere that has been relevant since the 1990s

Suggestions? We had reservations at Rathbun's but got a call yesterday to tell us that they were cancelling all reservations for tomorrow and would we like to go to a sister restaurant (which didn't really interest us). We called around and most of the places we had suggestions for were almost completely booked up.

Aria is pretty buttoned up. Formal, older crowd. Most guys wearing jackets. Great for a upscale date night or occasion dinner like DSD mentioned, but I dont think its someplace I would go eat with just my pops and I.

Dude, no one eats like you. If he wants a authentic pigmy joint on buford, then he can ask you. But, I agree with TAB that Aria is good, but buttoned up for dinner with pops.

That's good to know - we don't really mind too buttoned up as long as the food is good. We will most likely hit up a bar ahead of time and go to a bar afterward, so as long as the food is good we are usually good to go. For example we did Fleur de Lys together in San Fran just fine.

Dude, no one eats like you. If he wants a authentic pigmy joint on buford, then he can ask you. But, I agree with TAB that Aria is good, but buttoned up for dinner with pops.

haha...so you are saying I don't know the good restaurants in town?

all of rathbuns places blow....unless you like oversalted food

haha...so you are saying I don't know the good restaurants in town?

all of rathbuns places blow....unless you like oversalted food

No, I am saying that what you look for in a resto is not what someone coming to atl for 2 nights is looking for. And relevant to the foody scene is prob not what he is most concerned with. A nice meal with his dad, not the most obscure, hot spot just to hit the scene.

Suggestions? We had reservations at Rathbun's but got a call yesterday to tell us that they were cancelling all reservations for tomorrow and would we like to go to a sister restaurant (which didn't really interest us). We called around and most of the places we had suggestions for were almost completely booked up.

Holeman & Finch
Empire State South
Miller Union
Umi or Taka (Sushi)
Chops Lobster Bar
Sotto Sotto
Bocco Lupo
The Optimist
One Eared Stag
4th & Swift
Kyma

Back