• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta Dining

Suggestions? We had reservations at Rathbun's but got a call yesterday to tell us that they were cancelling all reservations for tomorrow and would we like to go to a sister restaurant (which didn't really interest us). We called around and most of the places we had suggestions for were almost completely booked up..

Yeah Rathbuns had a kitchen fire that is forcing them to close for a few weeks. That would have been a good choice.

As for sister restos, Rathbun Steak is just another high end steak house (albiet with a less lame crowd than the bhead ones outside of Hals)

I like the newest Rathbuns resto in Ptree Hills tho. KR Steakbar. Have had two good meals there. They arent as heavy on the salt as the other two imo.

Last edited:
Holeman & Finch
Empire State South
Miller Union
Umi or Taka (Sushi)
Chops Lobster Bar
Sotto Sotto
Bocco Lupo
The Optimist
One Eared Stag
4th & Swift
Kyma

I would add Floataway Cafe to this list. You wont have a bad meal there. And you might can get in on short notice.

Fun thread. Check out the Atlanta Eats blog for some solid suggestions

(although note that some places included are average)

(also note that the "star" of the tv show by the same name, Steak Shapiro, is one of the Atlanta sports radio hosts that was fired recently for making fun of the former Saints player with Lou Gehrig's disease)

Fun thread. Check out the Atlanta Eats blog for some solid suggestions

(although note that some places included are average)

(also note that the "star" of the tv show by the same name, Steak Shapiro, is one of the Atlanta sports radio hosts that was fired recently for making fun of the former Saints player with Lou Gehrig's disease)

The shit I just flushed down the bowl knows more about good restaurants.

Yeah Rathbuns had a kitchen fire that is forcing them to close for a few weeks. That would have been a good choice.

As for sister restos, Rathbun Steak is just another high end steak house (albiet with a less lame crowd than the bhead ones outside of Hals)

I like the newest Rathbuns resto in Ptree Hills tho. KR Steakbar. Have had two good meals there. They arent as heavy on the salt as the other two imo.

Going to KR Steakbar on Saturday for Skippy's bday.

Moon do your recs change at all if wine list is a top priority? Does the opinion of Aria change in light of wine list preferences?

Last edited:
Moon do your recs change at all if wine list is a top priority? Does the opinion of Aria change in light of wine list preferences?

empire state south has one of the best wine programs on the city if you are a wine geek

miller union also is solid when it comes to wine.

bocca lupo and floataway not so much

kyma has a very interesting list but it is a higher end greek seafood resto so the emphasis will be on greek whites and that ilk

I am not familiar with aria's wine list. The place is good, it's just not a wow place. It's a special event destination spot. it's quiet and it's stuffy.

holeman has one of the best cocktail programs and adventurous food.

Grubbs' wine list might be the best thing about Empire State South, but it also serves as a particularly successful example of what the restaurant is aiming to achieve. The list, like the restaurant, is beautiful, the fonts a satisfying mix of classic and modern, the wide sheet of paper pleasing to spread out over your table and peruse. It has personality that avoids pretension, in its descriptions, in its footnotes, in its selections. The choices are neither too obvious nor too oddly esoteric. The passions of Grubbs and his business partner, chef Hugh Acheson, are proudly on display. Reds are dominated by Burgundy, Italy and the Rhone. Whites also lean to Burgundy, skirt the Loire, Italy and Spain, and then come to rest firmly on Rieslings. Rieslings? Yep. There's even a lengthy footnote about why you should love Riesling. And believe me, you should love Riesling.

If my adoration of this wine list is slightly outsized, it's because wine is one place where Atlanta falls short compared to other cities. Restaurateurs underestimate our taste and curiosity. But not Empire State South. Of course, the restaurant's achievements don't stop with the Rieslings. The thoughtfulness, playfulness and all-around quality of the list is indicative of the entire enterprise.

http://clatl.com/atlanta/review-hugh-achesons-empire-state-south/Content?oid=2278287

Hey buttjananglecunt! You and your dad meet me in the men's room at Burkharts Pub and I'll feed your cock to my little slut boy. Your dad can watch or blow me; his choice.

Grubbs' wine list might be the best thing about Empire State South, but it also serves as a particularly successful example of what the restaurant is aiming to achieve. The list, like the restaurant, is beautiful, the fonts a satisfying mix of classic and modern, the wide sheet of paper pleasing to spread out over your table and peruse. It has personality that avoids pretension, in its descriptions, in its footnotes, in its selections. The choices are neither too obvious nor too oddly esoteric. The passions of Grubbs and his business partner, chef Hugh Acheson, are proudly on display. Reds are dominated by Burgundy, Italy and the Rhone. Whites also lean to Burgundy, skirt the Loire, Italy and Spain, and then come to rest firmly on Rieslings. Rieslings? Yep. There's even a lengthy footnote about why you should love Riesling. And believe me, you should love Riesling.

If my adoration of this wine list is slightly outsized, it's because wine is one place where Atlanta falls short compared to other cities. Restaurateurs underestimate our taste and curiosity. But not Empire State South. Of course, the restaurant's achievements don't stop with the Rieslings. The thoughtfulness, playfulness and all-around quality of the list is indicative of the entire enterprise.

http://clatl.com/atlanta/review-hugh-achesons-empire-state-south/Content?oid=2278287

Thanks for this. Having studied in breisgau I can appreciate Riesling.

Holeman & Finch
Empire State South
Miller Union
Umi or Taka (Sushi)
Chops Lobster Bar
Sotto Sotto
Bocco Lupo
The Optimist
One Eared Stag
4th & Swift
Kyma

I need to get to Floataway and those sushi places but your list is SPOT on. This year I have been pleasantly surprised by Serpas and Barcelona, so give them honorable mentions.

I also like Here to Serve restaurants, I know that makes me a Buckhead Buddy but I don't care.

Moonz and TAB won't steer you the wrong way. We need to get together for some Yum Bunz ;)

Checked out Yum Bunz last night.

No this isn't a BBD-club, its a dumplings place. Very delicious and inexpensive. Will most certainly return.

Back