• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta Dining

Looks right up her alley. Plus one of the chefs did a demo at the farmer's market in Buckhead last week which we sometimes do, so it all ties in. Thanks for the suggestion.

I wasn't kidding about Houston's

Love that place

+1 for Houston's, except for on the weekends.

I had a late half dinner at Ink & Elm, new place by Emory last week. Pretty good.

The Optimist was amazing. Started with some raw oysters and then had halibut cheeks with preserved meyer lemon and kale and the sapelo island clams with chorizo, calabrese peppers, saffron, and torn croutons. The clam broth could have had more flavor and was on the border of being too salty. Minor complaints. The halibut cheeks were perfect. For my main course I had the one fish I had never had before, the tautog. It was excellent and came with charred okra. I also tasted the swordfish poached with duck fat. Swordfish is not one of my favorite fish, but I would happily eat this swordfish any day.

I also hit the Porter Beer Bar. The beer list was overwhelming. I may have to hop to the beer thread for that. The food was meh, but I was not there for the food.

My other dinner was 4th and Swift. It was good, but could not match The Optimist. The crispy brussel sprouts were the best thing I had there. Three little piggies had a good sausage, but the cumin drowned out the other flavors a bit. The chicharron popcorn was the best part of the three. The worst was the pork loin. It did not appear overcooked but was a little tough and was not too interesting. Service was top notch.

Went to Salt Factory in Roswell, pretty damn impressed w/ that place.

Houston's is always great, love that cheese bread.

My wife had her weekend downtown with friends. They ate, in order, dinner and lunches at the following: Empire State South, Chai Pani in Decatur, Agave, Takorea and Top Flr. They all really liked Chai Pani, Agave and Top Flr, Takorea for lunch was fine but not exciting. They spent $200 at ESS and were very underwhelmed, and left hungry. It was the only place none of them wanted to return to. Thanks for all of the tips.

Agave? Top, takorea?? WTF

And I am a fan of ESS not sure what went wrong there

Though I'd have steered them...fuck it

Tokorea for all my bitch holes

Chicks love that Agave...I do enjoy the atmosphere there. Solid guac

Agave? Top, takorea?? WTF

And I am a fan of ESS not sure what went wrong there

Though I'd have steered them...fuck it

Tokorea for all my bitch holes

Since the beginning of time, we can recommend, but women do what women want to do.

Its my birthday on the 10th.

Fiance wants to treat me to a dinner, where should she take me?

I want to go somewhere where we haven't been, I've been to the usual suspects. Any sneaky great Italian places? We also love charcuterie plates.

I want to go somewhere where we haven't been, I've been to the usual suspects. Any sneaky great Italian places? We also love charcuterie plates.

Antico Posta is pretty killer lately. Amazing grilled octopus.

I didn't know same sex marriage was legal in GA, congrats!

I have to take a law student from Vandy to dinner on Sunday (call-back interview on Monday). I could be super boring and just do the Atlanta Grille at the Ritz downtown since that's where we have them staying, but since I have to drive down there anyway, I'd rather take her somewhere more fun (and with better food). My problem is that I want somewhere that doesn't get super loud (colleague who did the last call-back dinner said they had trouble talking) and everywhere I am coming up with can definitely be loud. Any thoughts? Budget is basically no Quinones or Eugene, but I can get away with most other restaurants in town.

Anything out in the Northlake area? I can always just Uber more centrally if needed.

Sat behind one of the cooks from Serpas at the Falcons game the other night, great guy. Good place to eat.

Anyone been to this Paper Plane place in Dickhater? I've heard the drinks are great but the food is meh

^^ Thats about right. Im sort of over the craft cocktail thing. I dont want to guess what my drink is going to taste like.

Pinewood probably does a better job at everything over Paper Plane.

If you are going to Decatur for food, hit up Kimball House. They have great happy hour oyster deals. Ryan Smith (of ESS) was running the charcuterie program when I went a few weeks back. Parking sucks tho.

Back