• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta Dining

^^Good call, 6 Feet's burger is one of the most underrated in the city.

What about a place in Decatur for the anniversary dinner? Cakes and Ale, Iberian Pig even Cafe Alsace?

I currently have a ressie at St Cecilia, but if it's loud I may need to make a switch. Heard good things about Cakes & Ale. Would that be your top pick out of those 3 you mention, Go?

I currently have a ressie at St Cecilia, but if it's loud I may need to make a switch. Heard good things about Cakes & Ale. Would that be your top pick out of those 3 you mention, Go?

cakes and ale is very good but overpriced

St Cecilia is a great place, very cool space and the food/hand crafted drinks are great. Just stick w/ that, just don't expect intimate and quiet.

St Cecilia is a great place, very cool space and the food/hand crafted drinks are great. Just stick w/ that, just don't expect intimate and quiet.

He wasn't getting that at the Optimist; that's for sure.

6 Feet Under on Memorial Drive is another good pregame spot, especially if you get there a couple hours before the game and grab some seats on the rooftop patio. Nice view of Oakland Cemetery, which would be a good place to tour if you and your boys have never done it.

Thanks for the recommendation. 6 Feet under looks like it is exactly what I was looking for and appreciate mentioning Oakland Cemetery. I'm not sure if the boys will appreciate it, but we will try to do both! Thanks.

Tin Lizzy's Cantina, its a taco place. If they don't like that kind of food, then there's Daddy D'z bbq or Cook-out near the stadium.

Just looked at Tin Lizzy's site and will try to do both it and 6 Feet Under. Thanks - I think the kids will really like seeing a different part of Atlanta and this looks like a place we will really enjoy.

I just read about the tornado that hit downtown Atlanta in 2008 battered this area (Oakland Cemetery) pretty hard, and I remember seeing the highlights from the SEC tournament games as the storm passed. Amazing that more people weren't injured...

Btw, Bobby Jones is buried at Oakland and his grave is literally right across the street from the restaurants. He's easy to find, the one w/ all the golf balls alongside Memorial Drive.

Not sure the kids will appreciate it but they'll remember it.

Great meal last night at St Cecilia, thanks for the rec. We shared the Crab of the Moment Crudo, the Fava Bean Antipasti, and the Lobster Ravioli Pasta, and for Entrees - the bride had Scallops and I had the Loupe de Mer. Finished it off with the Budino Di Cioccolata.

The place wasn't too noisy for us even though it was a packed house. Service was excellent - the wine we ordered wasn't chilled, so they gave us each a complimentary glass of wine while the stuff we ordered chilled.

Go back and get the Short Rib pasta. I'm still giddy about that dish. I licked the bowl.

Btw, Gunshow is getting more and more rave reviews from folks I've spoken with...perhaps the local critic community needs to take a second look?

Don't know if this has been mentioned on here yet, but I went to KR Steak Bar for dinner on Saturday night for my anniversary with my girlfriend. It is one of Kevin Rathbun's restaurants and it has the same steaks that he serves at his steakhouse (Kevin Rathbun Steak). It's a cross of multi course Italian with really good steaks. Everything was amazing and the service was very good. I highly recommend the porterhouse for two. It is pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I also need to try some of the places on this thread since I've been here a year and haven't used this thread for restaurants.

Do they give you decent portions at KR Steak Bar?

Edit to say that in that same neighborhood, Ptree Hills, is Paul's Restaurant. Underrated place.

Don't know if this has been mentioned on here yet, but I went to KR Steak Bar for dinner on Saturday night for my anniversary with my girlfriend. It is one of Kevin Rathbun's restaurants and it has the same steaks that he serves at his steakhouse (Kevin Rathbun Steak). It's a cross of multi course Italian with really good steaks. Everything was amazing and the service was very good. I highly recommend the porterhouse for two. It is pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I also need to try some of the places on this thread since I've been here a year and haven't used this thread for restaurants.

I disagree on the porter

$90 and skimpy

When did you go moon? It was $77 when I was there. Its a 26oz steak with bone. They said about 18oz of meat. If you don't get appetizers and pasta then its small I guess but the point of the place isn't for massive steaks.

Any recs for a large group place? Prob gonna have 12 for dinner tomorrow.

Just trying to avoid Hudson/Taco Mac

Half off all wine at Macaroni Grille.

So you OTPers got something going for ya

This thread is quite useful. I'll be in Atlanta soon.

Has anyone been to Red Pepper Taqueria?

Last edited:
OK, so we just got back last night from the ATL & watching my Phillies sweep the Braves - not hating - I was there last year when Chipper went yard in the bottom of the 9th against my boys, and I loved the energy and noise in the place. Cannot believe that the Bravos will be leaving downtown in a few years....

Anyway, thanks for the recs. I have to admit that I thought that going to 6 Feet Under & a graveyard (Oakland Cemetery) would have any appeal to a 10 year old, but I was SO wrong. He loved both! Of course, we watched Brazil and Mexico in the World Cup at the Puberia, and the toured the cemetery between rain showers. Food was good, but definitely a fish place. great ambience and everyone enjoyed their meal. However, the highlight was the cemetery... My son, really got into the confederate graveyard section and looking at all the states the soldiers and slaves were from, as well as, the statue of the lion of that watches over the soldiers. We saw Bobby Jones gravesite (a must for golfers), Margret Mitchell's, etc.

I NEVER would have gone there w/out the recommendations from the board and am so appreciative! One can only do the World of Coke so many times... : )

P.S. We also went to Noah's Ark where they have the only BLT (bear, lion and tiger) that live together. The "Zoo" is about 40 minutes south of Atlanta and free (they accept donations.) My kids LOVED it! They felt like it was like the movie "We Bought a Zoo." The place is only open from 12 - 3 but kids will never forget the experience and the fact that their donations will sustain the zoo's existence.

P.S.2: We stayed at the Marriott Concourse Renaissance in ATL and the boys loved watching the all the planes coming in and out of Atlanta. I felt like I was on the tarmac... A great hotel that really went out of there way to ensure a good stay!

Reactions: Go
Back