• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta Dining

Sad. My wife and I had breakfast at 8Arm last Friday. Amazing biscuit.

This sounds bloody awful. I can see something like this happening in Biff's Charlotte, but in TAB's Atlanta!?

http://atlanta.eater.com/2017/1/9/14212144/craft-izakaya-closing-makimono-reboot

The revamped concept will drastically cut back staff, and the market-facing bar will offer sushi rolls and cooked items in bowl form. Oh is deploying two machines that will make the sushi rolls: one will lay out the rice, and a second will cut the rolls. He says the machines will boost efficiency and consistency, and the staff reduction will allow Makimono to sell sushi at a discount — $9.95 for what Oh calls “really big rolls” — while using quality ingredients. Diners will be able to build their own rolls or select from a menu of the restaurant’s creations. Oh describes the new concept as a Japanese version of Chipotle.

Doesn't Chipotle use real people to make the burritos ?

No but I believe the chef was just announced as a James Beard finalist.

Went to Staplehouse last night for the wife's birthday. Agree with DSD - highly recommend.

Went to Staplehouse last night for the wife's birthday. Agree with DSD - highly recommend.

Staplehouse was great. I wanted to return on an upcoming Sunday, but they just announced they are no longer open on Sundays starting the day I planned to be there. I do not have a plan B. It looks like brunch menus everywhere. I could return to a place like One Eared Stag or Empire State South. How about The Federal? It is open that day and has good reviews.

Been meaning to post about a restaurant my brother and I just opened in O4W with our chef partner, Mike Pitts (formerly of Beetlecat). It's on Highland Ave, just up the street from Inman Park and across the street from Highland Bakery. Adjacent to the Freedom Trailway and not too far from Ladybird and the Beltline. Come check it out some time soon - we're only open for dinner now, but weekend lunch/brunch service to start soon.

https://fielddayeveryday.com/

https://atlanta.eater.com/maps/best-new-restaurants-atlanta-heatmap - #11

This thread seems as good a place as any to ask this.

I think I will be accepting a position at Emory. Am looking for recommendations on local realtors and/or areas of the city to look for properties in.

Two kids, 6 and 8 months. School quality is important but they don’t have to have the best ratings. Ideally commute would be less then 45 minutes one way on a normal day. Prefer an area with larger lots and some distance between houses.

You might get some better responses with more info like how long you are going to stay and what kind of position you're taking. Is this a hospital residency?
A friend who was doing internship at CDC lived in little 5 points but the houses were small and close together. That was probably 15 years ago.
Briarcliff Rd/Druid Hills is nice but expensive.

This thread seems as good a place as any to ask this.

I think I will be accepting a position at Emory. Am looking for recommendations on local realtors and/or areas of the city to look for properties in.

Two kids, 6 and 8 months. School quality is important but they don’t have to have the best ratings. Ideally commute would be less then 45 minutes one way on a normal day. Prefer an area with larger lots and some distance between houses.

It’s going to be difficult, if not completely price prohibitive, to find something within a 45-minute normal day commute to Emory that meets your perameters. Also, Atlanta City Schools is the only non-county school system in the state. Not a good situation there. Look at Dekalb county.

You might get some better responses with more info like how long you are going to stay and what kind of position you're taking. Is this a hospital residency?
A friend who was doing internship at CDC lived in little 5 points but the houses were small and close together. That was probably 15 years ago.
Briarcliff Rd/Druid Hills is nice but expensive.

It is on the Faculty and would plan this stop to be 10+ years, if not my final institution. Things can change quickly in biomedical research. But definitely looking more long term

Yeah budget is going to be a huge factor as well as house size, the immediate area around Emory is pricey, too very pricey depending on the direction you go. Also depends on where you are working but Emory main is essentially a choke point, there are only two ways in and out on roads not designed for 10,000 cars at the same time. It can take over 30 minutes leaving or entering the 1 mile radius that is Emory depending on the time of day. I’d look northeast side of Atlanta so Chamblee, Tucker, Dunwoody, Peachtree Corners, Norcross, depending on where and time commute would be between 30 minutes to an hour on average.

It’s going to be difficult, if not completely price prohibitive, to find something within a 45-minute normal day commute to Emory that meets your perameters. Also, Atlanta City Schools is the only non-county school system in the state. Not a good situation there. Look at Dekalb county.

We have been looking mainly in Dekalb so far just based initially on where Emory is and looking for places with decent schools.

Have seen some stuff around Tucker and Dunwoody. What would that type of a commute look like?

We are looking for houses in the $350k-450k range ideally but can go a bit higher if needed.

Back