• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday Night Live

I think Kanye was on there because his appearances have been so disastrous... it was kind of a joke in and of itself. Because yeah, why else would they have him of all people.

His performances for MBDTF and Yeezus were awesome, which i think were his last times on the show.

That's not really your bag tho.

The Rolling Stone list is interesting. IMO Norm MacDonald and Bobby Moynihan are terribly underrated. Jason Sudeikis and Jane Curtin should also be higher. Laraine Newman, Al Franken and Kristen Wiig are over rated. I would put Chris Farley and Will Farrell higher on the list, but hard to argue top 15.

Enjoyed the entire evening though like most was surprised at how much build-up Murphy got versus his airtime. And wtf with Kanye getting so much air time; so tired of hearing/seeing him. Wish he would just go away.

I thought The Californians was/is an intentionally awful sketch. Is that not the case?

(That doesn't absolve anything - it is horrific)

yeah, pretty sure it's a reference to "the Aristocrats" gag and is clearly an inside joke 10-1 sketch for the cast

I guess I'm in the minority, but I always laugh at The Californians.

it might have been originally, but from then on it was usually the first big sketch of the night

The recurring sketch was just a casual bit that he and fellow castmember Fred Armisen would do when recounting their trips to L.A. "You would just explain how you got places," says Hader. Years later, Armisen told his co-star that he wrote a sketch based on those characters.

But we have Carvey to thank for those exaggerated Southern Californian accents. Hader says that they used Carvey's impersonation of his son for their character's voices.

"Basically that whole sketch is us doing Dana's impersonation."

Had they not made it 50 20 minute sketches over the last decade, it would be fine.

there have been 7 occurrence in 3 years, including the 40th special:

- April 14, 2012 - Josh Brolin as Greg
- May 19, 2012 - Mick Jagger as Timothy
- October 13, 2012 - Christina Applegate as Brie
- November 17, 2012 - Jeremy Renner as Craig
- February 9, 2013 - Justin Bieber as the runaway kid
- May 11, 2013 - Kristen Wiig as Brad/Karina
- Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special - Laraine Newman, Bradley Cooper, Kerry Washington, Taylor Swift and Betty White

Those were both great. I forgot to mention the Weekend Update bit, which I greatly enjoyed. Jane Curtin's Fox news joke slayed me.

I thought the Weekend Update bit (along with McCarthy and Norton doing impressions of Farley and Hader) was the second best bit to Jeopardy

I also got a kick out of some of the awkwardness/flat out hatred you could at times catch glimpses of in some of the cast or audience. It was pretty clear at various times that a lot of those people really dont like each other

Back