• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday Night Live

So are animal bits becoming a typical thing in the last segment?

Heidi Gardner was great in that Floribama Shore sketch. She's going to be good down the road.

Three really good sketches this week (Bachelor Auction, Late for Class, and my favorite, The Race).

Late for Class started out really, really slow. Like, crickets in the audience slow. Really good payoff, though.

I really like Pete Davidson's Chad character, and this was probably his strongest sketch yet.

Mooney had a really strong week.

Pretty stoked to have SNL back.

Cold Opener with Damon was great. I also really liked the Kyle Mooney "New Look" skit, Adam Driver as the Oil Barren, and 80s party. BK Joe skit was ok; kind of reminded me a little bit of the Santa skit that Gosling did last year or the year before.

Weekend Update was good, not great though having some Ginsburns in the sketch definitely made up for some of the weaker jokes from Colin and Che.

Fortnight skit was trash and the southern alliance meeting was kind of funny but went on a bit long for me.

I liked Adam Driver and Kanye was a lot better than expected; I really thought the first song he did was garbage, but I ended up really liking the second performance and his close-out performance.

For a season opener it was a little underwhelming for me, but overall a solid episode.

Since I catch SNL the next morning via Youtube, I missed this part, which could belong on The Tunnels.

Agree with leftcoast.

Glad they didn’t let go any of the cast. I though last year’s cast was pretty good. The veterans are growing into their own and the new talent is pretty solid. Heidi Gardner has a lot of potential.

Didn’t see much of the new woman on the cast but she looked smoking hot in the intro.

Pete Davidson was good in update. It was a pretty honest and earnest take on his new status. Going to be interesting to see his transition from funny young stoner to guy getting his life right and marrying one of the biggest names in music.

Had to look him up. Didn't remember him at all.

so, the coffee shop sketch...they just rehash a brilliant Farley sketch and run it directly into the ground, eh

Damon was good. Was really hoping for Will Ferrell though.

Had he melded his "I drive a Dodge Stratus" and the "Mom the Meatloaf" characters into Cavanaugh it wouldve been one for the ages.

Kind of surprised. He was the multi-talented singer/dancer/actor type that usually hangs around for a little while. A poor man's Terran Killam, but I thought he had potential. Oh well.
I was talking to RSF about this - many of the young cast who get cut are usually bombing as sketch writers because they don't fit the SNL mold. There have been a few talented comedians who flamed out in just the past decade- Casey Wilson, Jenny Slate, Noel Wells, Brooks Wheelan off the top of my head.

Yeah. It's not for everybody. I stumbled upon a Rolling Stone ranking of SNL cast members from 2015 and there were plenty of people who are pretty famous now who didn't register on SNL. I had heard of most of them like Ben Stiller and Sarah Silverman. But I had no idea David Koechner and Michael McKean had been in the cast. I completely forgot Rob Riggle was on the show for a season.

Yeah. It's not for everybody. I stumbled upon a Rolling Stone ranking of SNL cast members from 2015 and there were plenty of people who are pretty famous now who didn't register on SNL. I had heard of most of them like Ben Stiller and Sarah Silverman. But I had no idea David Koechner and Michael McKean had been in the cast. I completely forgot Rob Riggle was on the show for a season.
Jay Mohr, Janeane Garafalo, Sarah Silverman, Robert Downey Jr. all left the show after 1 year, and Chris Rock almost got cut from SNL even while he was becoming a stand up star - he left SNL just to be a guest star on In Living Colour

Last edited:
Rock also got smacked down for making date rape jokes on the show.

Any fan of SNL should read Live from New York. It's an oral history of the show and it is a fascinating read.

Back