• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday Night Live

MacFarlane is an absolutely perfect host for SNL. I hope they keep bringing him back. That said, you can see why the show will continue to be horrendous without a great host.

Hilarious to see John Mayer making John Mayer faces as a guitarist for another artist. Not impressed with Frank Ocean though - just not my kind of tunes.

Loved the Clint Eastwood bit, as well as the puppet and Lochte bits as others have stated.

JGL could potentially be solid as host next week. Prob will wait until the following Monday to check anything out though.

I won't miss some of Wiig's terrible characters like Gilly. Overall I thought it was really good. We'll see how they do in the coming weeks when the host isn't as talented as McFarlane.

Yep. This was one of the funnier episodes they have put together in a while. Probably because McFarlane hosting meant that there was at least one capable comedy writer in the building.

Just watched on Hulu, and I have a couple observations:

Sticking with Keenan Thompson despite him taking a while to figure it out was a great move. He really has matured into a great cast member. He is limited, but that political ad about Romney is not nearly as funny without his delivery talking about Orange Julius.

Ocean was great, really classic SNL musical performance. That is another thing that was lacking in the recent down years. For the longest time, it seemed that, if nothing else, you would see an interesting and unique musical performance on SNL. Then they started trotting out lip syncing pop stars, and missed the boat trying to lure in viewers.

The Gangnam style skit was pretty great, but until a friend told me to watch that on youtube before wathing SNL, I had never heard of it.

I agree with this analysis that Pharoah's characterization of Obama has much more depth than Armisan's. Should be fruitful in the writing room, but I will not hold out too much hope until they deliver.

Skits were not nearly as dragging as they seemed in year's past. Probably because the point of each skit was no longer: get at least 3 lines from Wiig, Sudekis, Heder, Samburg, Armisan, and a couple from Moynihan. They used the entire cast pretty well, and it made the show feel more fresh with new faces (save McFarlane) in each sketch.

Weekend Update still struggles unless the "guests" are funny. That being said, I think that is the toughest burden of any segment on the show. In my opinion, Weekend Update has been done poorly more than it has been done well throughout the history of the show. Part of this is due to the lack of a consistent expectation for the host, a good thing. Each host has left a pretty distinct stamp on WE, and Meyer's stamp is that of the straight man to the parade of over-the-top characters. Colin Quinn was similar, but I liked him a little better.

Overall, I'm optimistic, and I'll most likely DVR next week.

Frank Ocean was so awesome. Really liked that version of Thinkin Bout You.

Also caught the puppet sketch, which was pretty funny.

Gangnam style is neither entertaining nor funny. Probably the worst youtube fad in a long long time.

Gangnam style is neither entertaining nor funny. Probably the worst youtube fad in a long long time.

Eh, seems right on par with YouTube fads. It's bizarre and catchy.

Eh, seems right on par with YouTube fads. It's bizarre and catchy.

Bed Intruder and Rebecca Black make this Gangnam shit look like amateur hour. Its not funny at all.

Was it intended to be funny? I like it and think it is catchy as well.

For reals?

I'm pretty stoked for Mumford and Sons this coming week as the musical guest.

I just watched gangnam for the first time. Interesting.

Also looking forward to Mumford.

What is this gangnam thing?

The rapper Psy from Korea has a song called gangnam style. Gangnam is a district
in Seoul that is highly fashion oriented and prone to a consumption based lifestyle.
The words of the song are satire about that. There is also a dance he does that mocks riding a horse (upper
Class pastime).

Bed Intruder and Rebecca Black make this Gangnam shit look like amateur hour. Its not funny at all.

Seriously? Not only is it funny/catchy, Gangnam Style has 215 million views in 2 months. Rebecca Black has 39 million in a year. No contest.

The part of gangnam style I understand is "hey sexy lady". That is just as substantial as "it's Friday, Friday" or "call me maybe".

I've been saying it since H.O.T. (High-Five of Teenagers), K-pop is taking over the world:

I have no idea what the last half of this thread means.

I thought Armisen passing the torch to Pharoah to be unnecessary and egotistic. So they finally let the black who does impressions do the black President. Makes sense. Should have happened a year ago at least.

The rapper Psy from Korea has a song called gangnam style. Gangnam is a district
in Seoul that is highly fashion oriented and prone to a consumption based lifestyle.
The words of the song are satire about that. There is also a dance he does that mocks riding a horse (upper
Class pastime).

Ahh I've seen the guy but didn't realize that was a song/what it meant. Thanks!

I have no idea what the last half of this thread means.

I thought Armisen passing the torch to Pharoah to be unnecessary and egotistic. So they finally let the black who does impressions do the black President. Makes sense. Should have happened a year ago at least.

Ph, it was a joke.

Back