• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday Night Live

the californians was really, really dumb.

Does anyone find "The Californians" funny?

Terrible skit. Worst part of it is that they led off the show with it as the first live skit, and it is a recurring sketch, and it is intolerably long. And the only punch lines as far as I can tell are the California accents and some esoteric observation that LA people always talk about directions. Hilarious!

I thought the Odysseus/Sirens sketch was pretty funny.

Think I missed this one.

Does anyone find "The Californians" funny?

It has to be the single worst recurring skit in the history of that show. The schtick was good for about 3 minutes of material, and they have probably aired about 45-60 minutes of it over the last few years. It is just a brutal dead horse beating.

Tech Talk was hysterical.

The Californians is barely passable as a one-off skit. Unforgivable as a go-to recurring one.

Think I missed this one.

It has to be the single worst recurring skit in the history of that show. The schtick was good for about 3 minutes of material, and they have probably aired about 45-60 minutes of it over the last few years. It is just a brutal dead horse beating.

I would argue Gilly was the worst skit.

I would argue Gilly was the worst skit.

This. I'll never understand why Kristen Wiig played such ugly characters. Hopefully they keep Cecily Strong doing attractive women.

Reactions: ITK
So I am from the east coast and my bf was like "Do east coast people thing this is funny or something?" and I told him I didn't think anyone thought it was funny.

Jay Pharoah does a pretty impressive Denzel.

Are you a shark or a turtle?

Wiig as babyhands in the Lawrence Welk Show skit was maybe one of the funniest things I've seen... THE FIRST TIME. the 3 after that were too much.

So I am from the east coast and my bf was like "Do east coast people thing this is funny or something?" and I told him I didn't think anyone thought it was funny.

Are you talking about the Californians sketch, or the whole show?

I think a writer from SNL was on the board because I believe someone on the board said BO should have pimped walked across the stage and dropped the mic during the debate and that is what they did in the opening skit. It was hilarious.

I think a writer from SNL was on the board because I believe someone on the board said BO should have pimped walked across the stage and dropped the mic during the debate and that is what they did in the opening skit. It was hilarious.

A Wake graduate does work for SNL as a writer.

ah man I love The Californians... looks like I'm the only one.

it's probably because I hate California, people from California, and like to make fun of them at any chance.

That sketch was the worst debate sketch I have ever seen. They screwed up the line for that joke anyway saying "terrorist acts". The whole sketch, much like the entire show (fell asleep after first musical performance) was bland, uninspired, and just terrible. The musical performance wasn't even good.

The best joke was Tagg Romney and that seemed lost on the studio audience.

So far this season, SNL is batting 1.000 in opening "monologue" musical numbers (can't remember if Craig did, but I think so). That should tell you all you need to know about this writing room's ability to write comedy.

SNL can only be funny with a funny host it seems. Fortunately, Louis CK will write them a show on Nov. 3 that isn't utter dogshit.

A Wake graduate does work for SNL as a writer.

Yeah, someone definitely got that from these boards. Maybe SNL writers should frequent the boards more often, it would make for a better show.

Key and Peele did "Obama drops the mic" months ago, and I'm not saying they did it first. These boards certainly didn't.

Reactions: ITK
Very little is original in comedy. But Obama dropping the mic is funny.

Back