• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saturday Night Live

That sketch was the worst debate sketch I have ever seen. They screwed up the line for that joke anyway saying "terrorist acts". The whole sketch, much like the entire show (fell asleep after first musical performance) was bland, uninspired, and just terrible. The musical performance wasn't even good.

The best joke was Tagg Romney and that seemed lost on the studio audience.

So far this season, SNL is batting 1.000 in opening "monologue" musical numbers (can't remember if Craig did, but I think so). That should tell you all you need to know about this writing room's ability to write comedy.

SNL can only be funny with a funny host it seems. Fortunately, Louis CK will write them a show on Nov. 3 that isn't utter dogshit.

I thought Bruno Mars having to fill in for down Pandora stations was funny. Guy is talented.

I thought Bruno Mars having to fill in for down Pandora stations was funny. Guy is talented.

i was going to say the same thing. i thought that one was pretty good. plus, stefan was on weekend update. i love stefan, even when he laughs.

Mars was really impressive with the pandora sketch, but I wouldn't call it funny.

Mars was really impressive with the pandora sketch, but I wouldn't call it funny.

right, but it showcased the talent of the host... which happens to be music, not comedy.

i also thought the haunted ride skit was decent; tom hanks was the best part.

i was going to say the same thing. i thought that one was pretty good. plus, stefan was on weekend update. i love stefan, even when he laughs.

Bill Hader was on Bill Simmons' podcast a while back, and he said that the reason he laughs during the Stefan sketches is because the writers will change some of the lines before he goes out there, so when he's reading them, he's seeing them for the first time. That is usually why he cracks up at least once during the sketch.

right, but it showcased the talent of the host... which happens to be music, not comedy.

i also thought the haunted ride skit was decent; tom hanks was the best part.

I felt like some of JT's sketches did a better job of using the host's talents to be funny. Like the "Liquourville" sketch.

I'm just watching the second half now. Weekend Update is ok, but I don't dig Stefon.

Halloween ride was solid. It didn't have the novelty of the first time they did it.

Bruno Mars reminds me of a young Michael Jackson.

I kinda like that skit too, since all my pals from California are incessantly talking about "taking the 5" or whatever highway I am gonna take the 5 to the 204 across Ventura to the blah blah - they actually nailed that part of that skit.

They don't call highways highways or interstates interstates. Annoying as shit.

ah man I love The Californians... looks like I'm the only one.

it's probably because I hate California, people from California, and like to make fun of them at any chance.

Bill Hader was on Bill Simmons' podcast a while back, and he said that the reason he laughs during the Stefan sketches is because the writers will change some of the lines before he goes out there, so when he's reading them, he's seeing them for the first time. That is usually why he cracks up at least once during the sketch.

i caught that, too- i feel like you can tell when he's seeing things for the first time. when he's not talking you can see him reading ahead, and that's usually when he starts laughing.

I kinda like that skit too, since all my pals from California are incessantly talking about "taking the 5" or whatever highway I am gonna take the 5 to the 204 across Ventura to the blah blah - they actually nailed that part of that skit.

They don't call highways highways or interstates interstates. Annoying as shit.

Sure, it's funny for one sketch, not 6 15-minute sketches per season for 3-4 years.

I figures the Californians sketch would die when Wiig left. Guess they are really lacking in ideas.

Bobby Moynihan needed more stage time Saturday. That guy is great.

One of my favorite stand up comedians, John Mulaney is the creator and main writer for the Stefon character. Mulaney tries to get him to break every time.

Halloween ride was solid. It didn't have the novelty of the first time they did it.

Bruno Mars reminds me of a young Michael Jackson.

MJ was in the biz for about 20 years when he was Mars' age.

MJ was in the biz for about 20 years when he was Mars' age.

Just the sound of their voice. Maybe the way they both say their s's, maybe a certain higher pitch. There is something there.

I agree. Just saying a young MJ is pretty young.

Just the sound of their voice. Maybe the way they both say their s's, maybe a certain higher pitch. There is something there.

Watching right now and i'm totally getting an MJ vibe. The soft-spokenness, the dark eyes, the smile. His eccentricity is also very reminiscent of early, normal-er Michael Jackson. Ironically, I don't think his voice or performance style is even close. Usher is probably the closest to MJ in that sense.

Watching right now and i'm totally getting an MJ vibe. The soft-spokenness, the dark eyes, the smile. His eccentricity is also very reminiscent of early, normal-er Michael Jackson. Ironically, I don't think his voice or performance style is even close. Usher is probably the closest to MJ in that sense.

Performance wise, yes. Voice wise I'd say The Weeknd is closest to MJ.

Anybody watching? Pretty crazy.

Curious to see if Eddie Murphy is any of these sketches. Hopefully Norm does Weekend Update or at least a Frank Stallone joke.

Back