• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

I would love to see Miller spill the beans. If the NCAA is serious, he's the only person they can really turn the screws on since he's coaching. Everyone else is fired, "retired" or has "graduated".

If he does - HANG IT!!!

I'd love to see what that dude got paid. He stayed in the same job as the academic adviser to a college basketball team for the better part of a career (21 years). Why would someone stay in that job for so long? It's a job that can be done by a recent college grad for $40K a year.

According to a recent post on PP, the answer is $70k.

According to a recent post on PP, the answer is $70k.

21 years at the same job and he was only making $70K as a guy who was so important that Roy brought him to NC from Kansas. That doesn't add up. If I were a State super sleuth, I'd start investigating other orgs he has been involved with that may have been supplementing that income.

Last edited:
Precedent exists for Wes Miller to be more concerned about telling the truth than anyone. Remember that former Baylor assistant who blew the whistle on Dave Bliss? He's a part time D3 assistant coach or something now. He's been blacklisted to the point where he can't make a living from coaching.

miller went all the way through college cheating or condoning it with his silence and/or blind eye. hell, he SHOULD be blacklisted.

Article yesterday followed up by editorial this morning. There's a pattern developing at the N&O.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/03/2388508/smooth-sailing.html
UNC-CH course provided smooth sailing

Once again, here is an example of an “academic support program” being aimed at keeping the stars on the field – or on the court. That is not, or should not be, the purpose of a counseling program supposedly aimed at helping people achieve in the classroom on their own.

One hopes Chancellor Holden Thorp, who is resigning to return to the faculty, could get to the bottom of that on his own, without waiting for reports from ongoing investigations related to the previously disclosed academic fraud.

That last sentence seems to be yet another warning shot across the bow (we are talking the Navy here) for Thorp to come clean. Looking forward to seeing what else they have in store.

21 years at the same job and he was only making $70K as a guy who was so important that Roy brought him to NC from Kansas. That doesn't add up. If I were a State super sleuth, I'd start investigating other orgs he has been involved with that may have been supplementing that income.

Saw your post on PP Racer, you might have got them riled up again haha. Hopefully one of the fact finders over there checks into that.

Hilarious response from UNC:
http://chapelboro.com/UNC-Athletics-Nothing-Strange-About-Athletes-In-Na/14418938

“The players went to class, they did work, there was a final exam that was a group project, they said it was an interesting class,” UNC Athletics Director of Communications Steve Kirschner says.

I realize this class sounds like a lot of work compared to the AFAM no-show sham classes, so I guess it makes sense that UNC is now patting themselves on they back because hey, kids actually attended this sham class.

A final exam that was a group project *snicker*

Hilarious response from UNC:
http://chapelboro.com/UNC-Athletics-Nothing-Strange-About-Athletes-In-Na/14418938

I realize this class sounds like a lot of work compared to the AFAM no-show sham classes, so I guess it makes sense that UNC is now patting themselves on they back because hey, kids actually attended this sham class.

A friend of mine posted that article on Facebook yesterday. He tagged me in the update and said this article was for me and was also saying "Funny how there is a response in this newspaper. Wonder if any other media outlet will have the guts to print the truth" Or something like that.

Then, when I responded, he told me it was funny that he posted a legitimate media story and I was still railing against it because it's not what I wanted to believe/didn't agree with... Whatever.

Of course, this is the same guy that keeps arguing nothing that has happened at UNC is wrong and that it is no different than what goes on at all schools. He keeps referring to this as a witch hunt and saying that the only way to be fair is if the N&O put this same scrutiny on Duke, WFU, State, etc. and printed it all side by side.

Personally, I would welcome that. Would love to see how it compares to this UNC mess.

Can anyone recall the last basketball or football player at UNC to be suspended or dropped from the team for grades? That's where the "everyone does it" argument breaks down for UNC. Every school does have easier classes and majors where athletes go for an easier workload (I don't believe every school has complete sham classes like UNC), but most every other school also has athletes that don't make the grade and are forced to sit. Pepper's leaked transcript showed a GPA below the NCAA requirement of 1.9, yet he was never held off the field (or the court).

Last edited:
Can anyone recall the last basketball or football player at UNC to be suspended or dropped from the team for grades? That's where the "everyone does it" argument breaks down for UNC. Every school does have easier classes and majors where athletes go for an easier workload (I don't believe every school has complete sham classes like UNC), but most every other school also has athletes that don't make the grade and are forced to sit. Pepper's leaked transcript showed a GPA below the NCAA requirement of 1.9, yet he was never held off the field.

There hasn't been one that I can recall. Butchy Boy forced a few scrubs out to get some more scholarships but all of those kids stayed on at UNC on some BS medical hardship wavier SEC style. At this point everyone in UNC really believes everyone is out to get them and that they have truly done nothing wrong. That's how brainwashed they are.

Article yesterday followed up by editorial this morning. There's a pattern developing at the N&O.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/03/2388508/smooth-sailing.html

That last sentence seems to be yet another warning shot across the bow (we are talking the Navy here) for Thorp to come clean. Looking forward to seeing what else they have in store.

Oh holy cow, this sentence has me :rofl: :

One has to give Lubitz this: Compared to the courses other athletes, primarily football players, were taking in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies, his Naval Science course was Harvard Law.

just remind them that the ncaa investgators came and left once. if everyone was out to get them, would that have happened?

Miller in full-on defend mode for his alma mater:
http://www.news-record.com/blog/56101/entry/154197

How does it feel to see stories like this come out about UNC?
"It’s upsetting, because I feel like there are people saying things and writing things when they don’t have all the facts in front of them, and they don’t have an understanding of what truly went on. I can only speak to my degree personally. It is legitimate as any college degree out there. I certainly, like any other college student, studied until three or four in the morning, wrote papers, took tests, took quizzes. For people to question those things, that’s frustrating and upsetting. But honestly, I don’t really pay a whole lot of attention to it because I know what’s correct and what’s not. It’s just like we tell our players at UNCG, all you can do is make the right decisions every day. You can’t always control what everybody thinks. You can control how you handle yourself. I can’t control what people write and don’t write. I can tell you that my degree from North Carolina is completely legitimate.”

Last edited:
Racer: Reading between the lines, here is UNC's counter to this story.

Lt Lubitz is married to one of the Tutors on the Academic Support Staff. He has been informed that he is to teach a Navy ROTC class of which he is given complete discretion concerning it's structure. He mentions this to his wife who in turn tells Wayne Walden about it. Lt Lubitz thinks it would be "cool" to have some of UNC's more famous citizens in his classroom. Walden think some of the folks on the basketball team might actually enjoy the class and mentions it to one or more of them. The athletes talk and lo and behold 30 of them sign up. They were NOT steered to the class. Walden was simply passing along some information given to him by an Instructor. The players all performed the work assigned to them.

What are your thoughts on that scenario? Could it have gone down like? Would that be against the rules? What factors point to this "story" be a complete fabrication?

Considering what the other teachers of that class have said, and the fact that the curriculum for the class completely changed for only one semester, that just happened to be when all of the athletes got pushed to the class, I just don't think there is a chance in hell that the scenario played out like that. Every year the class has been taught (according to N&O comments by Navy ROTC teachers/leaders) that class has a GPA average of 2.0 or right around a C. For the one semester that this guy taught it (happened to also have 30 of 38 students in that class be athletes) the average GPA was a 3.6 or something like that. Oh, and the regular class size for that specific class was 20. There were 38 in this offering. WAY to many coincidences for that to even close to be random.

What factors point to this "story" be a complete fabrication?

Other than the fact that the only adults who could for sure say that everything was on the up and up, Roy, Walden, and Lubitz, have all refused to comment after 2 months of trying from Kane?

Other things:
1) Walden was only the adviser to basketball and they only account for 6 of the 30. Other advisers were obviously in on the deal too.
2) The only people who ARE speaking are two scrubs from the team who a) wouldn't have a lot of preferential treatment anyway and b) would have no idea what actually happens behind the scenes.

Would that be against the rules?

If your scenario is 100% correct, it is still preferential treatment by a professor towards athletes in a class meant to attract athletes as evidenced by the changed syllabus, the "advertisement" through wife/Walken and the unusually high GPA.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. . .UNC's response, "The difficulty of the course changed because the Instructor changed. it had nothing to do with the Academic Support Staff"

If it was just a fluke then UNC has the worst academic support staff in the world for saying it was fine for 30 of their athletes to to take a class with an average grade of a C. Especially at UNC where 80% of grades given out are a B or better.

Back