• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

Spoke today with a Wake grad who has a strong family connection to the current athletics administration. He told me that the rule of thumb for Wake athletes is "if you show up for class and put the effort in, we'll do everything possible to make sure you graduate". I have zero problem with that, b/c that is in contrast to 18 years at UNC where the practice was "we'll get you in the right classes, you won't have to do any work, and we'll make sure you stay eligible". I'm proud to say that my university is not just concerned with keeping athletes eligible, but also feels an obligation to make sure that those who show up for legit classes and put the work in get the necessary help to leave MSD with a degree that was earned.

40550681431aab06a473a1c7161accc8.jpg

Bottom line: UNC made a HUGE mistake in taking the tack that they did. They threw away their reputation as an academic university in order to keep 2 banners. And they are finding out that was a terrible strategy. The known result is now that they were super-guilty, but sold their soul for the banners. They should have self-imposed some penalties, kept their banners, and given the appearance that academics and athletes and students matter above athletic success. They blew it. And they will pay for it for the next 100 years. UNC will forever be known as the university and athletic program that hit the lowest point of all time in NCAA history. Every win they have ever had and will have will be faced with jokes and laughter by fans of the other team. UNC can't win again.

Last edited:
Sadly, i don't think most people know or care.

Disagree. This is a pretty bad stain. It's also indefensible so when you're talking to a UNC-CH fan you always have the moral high ground. You just have to decide how much you want to destroy them with facts. Sure they can always point to their victories and championships, but you can ask them to name the ones that were won with a player who didn't cheat.

Sadly, i don't think most people know or care.

I've been surprised at that as well. If you're not in this Triangle/Big 4 "bubble" then you may have missed it. I've spoken with Tarheel grads (in the '06 - '14) range who weren't aware of it. Not the biggest sports fans, but still.

I've been surprised at that as well. If you're not in this Triangle/Big 4 "bubble" then you may have missed it. I've spoken with Tarheel grads (in the '06 - '14) range who weren't aware of it. Not the biggest sports fans, but still.
That's why the U*NC movement needs to happen.

Tarheel grads and unaware - you're surprised?

outside of North Carolina and/or above the age of 25, no one cares about Carolina except for a few weeks in march.

Back