• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

I guess Carolina fans would say that it's $21M well spent. :rolleyes:

New legal bills push UNC’s tab for academic scandal to $21 million
BY DAN KANE

August 10, 2018 04:46 PM

UNC-Chapel Hill has spent $21 million on legal, public relations and investigative costs related to its long-running academic scandal, bills released Friday show.

The bills from 2016 through this year show the university has spent more than $3.5 million on several law firms involved in successfully defending the university against NCAA allegations and individual lawsuits by former athletes. The university had previously spent nearly $18 million on legal, public relations, investigative and records production costs.

The university is not likely to spend much more. The NCAA’s infractions committee, after a drawn-out case that involved three separate notices of allegations, did not sanction the university. The three athlete lawsuits were dismissed by state and federal judges.

The News & Observer made a public records request for the bills in November...

Is this taxpayer funded as a public school?

The last sentence of the article states: "UNC officials said the money for the various costs did not come from tuition or state appropriations."

I'm very skeptical about statements like that. It's true that public schools like UNC have many sources of revenue (including tuition, state appropriations, research grants, endowment income, sports income etc.) but a university generally only has one master budget.

Ultimately all the sources of revenue go into one big pot. Maybe a school can pretend to precisely match up a certain category of expenses with a certain revenue source, but to me that's just accounting trickery.

The only way that I would find a statement like that to be credible would be if a rich friend of UNC wrote an extra check every year to specifically cover all the expenses associated with the scandal. I doubt that such a thing has happened.

Just think Education Lottery. Lottery was started to reduce burden on the tax funded education budget.
So money paid for a lottery ticket reduces the tax burden thus, it is a voluntary tax.
Because all money is fungible PR and legal expenses of the scandal has cost the tax funded school, UNC, money which is usually allotted toward athletics some of which is funded by tax payer dollars.

Watch the Armando Bacot commitment video. Only 1-minute of your time and will make rooting against Bacot almost as easy as rooting against Grayson Allen.

He’s going to UNC. I don’t need to waste a minute to know to root against him.

Watch the Armando Bacot commitment video. Only 1-minute of your time and will make rooting against Bacot almost as easy as rooting against Grayson Allen.

I actually didn't come away from that w/ any hatred. Silly video, but most of them are.

Like Ph posted... The fact that he's going to UNC is more than enough reason to root against him.

Another IMG kid. From Google: "Standard tuition for one year of boarding at IMG Academy is $68,500 plus a team sport competition and training gear fee that ranges from $3,750-$4,250 depending on the sport. A single semester costs $39,400. Apr 24, 2014"

I wonder what % of that cost top bball players pay?

Another IMG kid. From Google: "Standard tuition for one year of boarding at IMG Academy is $68,500 plus a team sport competition and training gear fee that ranges from $3,750-$4,250 depending on the sport. A single semester costs $39,400. Apr 24, 2014"

I wonder what % of that cost top bball players pay?

Zero

I actually didn't come away from that w/ any hatred. Silly video, but most of them are.

Like Ph posted... The fact that he's going to UNC is more than enough reason to root against him.

I didn't come away with hate either. I'm not a fucking ISIS recruit. I'll just be happy to root against him. I suppose 50% of kids that age take themselves way too seriously. 5-star recruits I assume the number has to be higher. But, like I said, will be fun to cheer against. I don't hate Grayson Allen either or any other athlete I can think of for that matter. Maybe Lawrence Phillips? But he be dead.

I do actually think it is kind of sick that an amateur athlete had a video with a shoe sponsor. Something does not compute.

Yeah he will do well at unc. You know, don't have to write your own papers, get automatically upped 2 grades cause you're an athlete and plus they stay for 4 years because old Roy pays better than the D league, those type things. Now that the NCAA has surrendered to their effective (and expensive) pr campaign, all they have to do is pick up the Duke and Kentucky scraps to field a title contending team

Excerpts from the New York Times' recent take: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/17/sports/north-carolina-suspensions-shoes.html

The University of North Carolina is a top academic institution, with fine professors and departments. So when its accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, came calling in 2013 and asked about this scandal, the university offered a confession. A professor and a couple of administrators, U.N.C. stated, had committed “academic fraud.”

This admission was calculated. Administrators sought to erect a firewall around a single troubled department and a few professors.

University officials pledged to mop up the mess. No current student who took such a course, they vowed, could count those credits toward a degree. Alumni would have to make arrangements, too. In 2016, the accreditation agency awarded U.N.C. a kiss of approval. “Where we are today has taken deep introspection,” North Carolina’s chancellor, Carol Folt, said.

A year later, an N.C.A.A. committee took up its investigation of the scandal, an inquiry that threatened the university with the loss of a basketball championship and suspensions.
Enough with introspection and hair shirts. University officials said their description of “academic fraud” was “a typographical error.”

The professor and advisers at the center of this scandal were pushed out. Cunningham, the athletic director who was not at the university as the scandal took seed and who managed the fallout, received a raise. He now is paid $740,000, with another $60,000 for entertainment and $200,000 in annual deferred compensation, a benefit heretofore available only to U.N.C.’s president and chancellor. The chancellor makes less money than Cunningham does. Cunningham even was reimbursed for the cost of using an agent to negotiate his contract.

The university is completing a $36.85 million deal with Nike and expects to sign a more lucrative one....

The coaches Williams and Fedora make $2.1 million and $1.8 million, respectively, in salary and incentives. The gentlemen have side deals with Nike, although the university does not require them to divulge those details, as that is their “personal business.”

We can, however, hazard a guess that they are worth far more than what the undergraduate football players got for trying to peddle their sneakers.

https://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/article222390060.html

The NCAA released new graduation data in November, and there’s an undeniable conclusion – UNC-Chapel Hill is still failing to educate its black athletes.

The 2011 freshman class raised UNC’s overall four-class average federal graduation rate to 91 percent. But new data reveal that the same calculation for black male athletes fell to 42 percent – a rate 49 percentage points lower than the student body. This graduation gap has grown for a decade; the 2001 freshman class saw a 56 percent four-class rate for black athletes and an 83 percent rate for all students.

https://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/article222390060.html

The NCAA released new graduation data in November, and there’s an undeniable conclusion – UNC-Chapel Hill is still failing to educate its black athletes.

The 2011 freshman class raised UNC’s overall four-class average federal graduation rate to 91 percent. But new data reveal that the same calculation for black male athletes fell to 42 percent – a rate 49 percentage points lower than the student body. This graduation gap has grown for a decade; the 2001 freshman class saw a 56 percent four-class rate for black athletes and an 83 percent rate for all students.

Context of comparison to other public universities in power 5 conferences would be helpful.

Back