• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

Fund this post on PP. Interesting. . .

duckmanjw wrote: Interesting post on new board. Obstruction at its finest.

IC post below--Very interesting...

lowflight4

All Star

10-05-201210:06 AM Basically, I won't lie... I want to see how the new thread stuff works, but I don't want to waste space or your time either.. The NCAA does check in, but the local media attention is drawing out more questions from them. At this time, they've heard nothing that would cause them to reexamine any issues. So, we're good there. IMHO, the biggest problem is that UNC is having right now is that they are having to be reactionary vs proactive, as the Martin report isn't letting UNC know their directions and movements. I've been told the questioning is very similar to a good cop/bad cop type of deal. It is run very much like a true audit. Thus, all UNC has to go on are the questions that they are being asked. Meanwhile, somehow, the N&O has been ahead of UNC the whole way, and they are afraid that the N&O has up to five more stories banked for later dispersal. Consequently, and I know most won't want to believe this, but Thorpe has been basketball's best friend in giving them heads up on what questions they will possibly have to answer for. That has apparently kept the NCAA and the Martin report at bay. Bobby was given the go ahead to talk to the media by Kirshner. He is far enough away but close enough to the situation that he can help without drawing more fire. Not everyone is thrilled with his comments, but I personally think that a thanks should go out to him for the comments. This is just off the cuff and what I can go into... Hope it helps.

Two interesting implications from this post: First, the Martin audit is a legit investigation as many of us hoped. Second, while I am dubious, the fact that the Chancellor, THE CHANCELLOR, is obstructing the truth is deliciously outrageous.

From the Charlotte Observer: Help wanted: Head of UNC's boring non-sports operations

A successful candidate for this position will be one who understands that “academic fraud” is merely a synonym for “petty jealousy.” And one who knows that the disappointment of alumni over a minor setback to the auxiliary’s national reputation will vanish if we win the ACC crown.

Beautifully mocking article!

"We’re the UNC Athletic Department and we’re looking to hire that special someone to run the scholarly end of our operation."

LOL

"At your present institution, do you have a class in Swahili? No problem. It turns out we didn’t either!"

Hahahaha

So Kane, an investigative reporter, shows up at a ho-hum pre-season Roy press conference specifically to ask a couple questions about those classes and then writes an article about it. Anyone else think that's a setup? Remember folks, Kane is NOT a sports writer: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/content/meet-the-i-team

Similar news to the W-SJ article above with quotes from Roy, but written by Kane who posed the questions: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/11/2405838/roy-williams-is-ok-with-his-players.html

So Kane, an investigative reporter, shows up at a ho-hum pre-season Roy press conference specifically to ask a couple questions about those classes and then writes an article about it. Anyone else think that's a setup? Remember folks, Kane is NOT a sports writer: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/content/meet-the-i-team

Similar news to the W-SJ article above with quotes from Roy, but written by Kane who posed the questions: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/11/2405838/roy-williams-is-ok-with-his-players.html

Oh yeah. Total set up piece. Can't wait for the follow up.

That gives me the impression this "investigation" is going to be half-assed. They interviewed over 30 people? That's it? And they didn't even bother to call the two people who were supposedly the only ones culpable to get their side? Nothing regarding the Naval classes? Are they really going to just say "Students cluster all the time...and nobody thought it was wrong what they were doing, so it's ok."

I hope Dan Kane is sitting on a bombshell, because if he isn't, those assholes are going to get away with it.

As soon as I read that Martin doesn't think he'll "have time" to research further, I figured nothing would happen.

Ridiculous.

I was hopeful of the Martin Investigation, but not I am not so sure. I was less concerned about his actual statements yesterday as I was his desire to keep the N & O informed. Why, during the middle of an on-going investigation, did he think that was necessary or appropriate?

Raw nerves! But it is not over yet.

I had a big UNC fan tell me early in the investigation of improper benefits that there was no academic fraud at UNC. We have not spoken about the issue since; but, I suspect that he and many others are a bit weary of all the nasty revelations.

The questions answered in that article were humorous. It is apparent that more than a few UNC faithful really don't see the wrong!

Back