• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

I'm not 100% on the timing of everything, but didn't most of the scandal stuff happen under Moeser, and Thorp came in and did a decent job of reporting stuff and fixing it?

Everything Holden Thorp has done to "report" & "fix" has been as a reaction after the fact to something reported in the N&O by Dan Kane and/or Andrew Curliss.

Oops, posted this in the other thread, but whatever. This one is more specific.

Dear Carolina faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends,

Today I am announcing what has been the hardest decision of my life ...
my intention to step down as your chancellor effective June 30, 2013.
I've decided that this is best for the future of Carolina.

I told UNC President Tom Ross yesterday of my decision. I also let him know that I am willing to stay longer, if needed, to avoid any gap in leadership until the Board of Trustees, President Ross and the Board of Governors can name a successor.

I will always do what is best for this University. And what is best right now is for me to make plans to step aside. This wasn't an easy decision personally. But when I thought about the University and how important it's been to me, to North Carolinians and to hundreds of thousands of alumni, my answer became clear.

Over the last two years, we have identified a number of areas that need improvement. We have a good start on reforms that are important for the future of this University. I have pledged that we will be a better university, and I am 100 percent confident in that. We still have work to do, and I intend to be fully engaged in that until the day I walk out of this office.

Together, we have accomplished so much. Student applications are up by
24 percent. Our faculty has made us a top 10 university in research funding. We have made excellent progress with faculty retentions. More alumni and friends made gifts to the University last year than ever before. We have pulled the campus through the financial crisis, emerging as a stronger institution. And we have launched a campuswide initiative to define our vision of the 21st Century public research university.

It has been a privilege and honor to lead this great University, and I look forward to continuing to work with you. My love for Carolina, where I have invested three decades of my life as a student, faculty member, researcher and administrator, has only grown deeper with the time I have spent as your chancellor.

With great appreciation for all of you and what you do for Carolina,

Holden Thorp

Everything Holden Thorp has done to "report" & "fix" has been as a reaction after the fact to something reported in the N&O by Dan Kane and/or Andrew Curliss.

You forgot to credit PackPride and the State fans. Those people are relentless.

This. Thorp knew about the Kupec scandal for months, but didn't do anything until two days after being contacted by Dan Kane for a comment on an article he was about to write about it.

Thorp is a patsy. . .

So apparently Thorp was flying WITH Kupec and Tami. And the best part were they were flying on a medical plane.

I'm not 100% on the timing of everything, but didn't most of the scandal stuff happen under Moeser, and Thorp came in and did a decent job of reporting stuff and fixing it?

Most of the scandal happened with Moeser as President, but wasn't Thorp the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences which was in charge of the Swahili division in 2007? So all this academic fraud took place under his purvue for at least a year when he could have cleaned it up. But all the stuff started under Moeser before Thorp got there, then he just didn't do anything about it. Too much money to be made by UNC-Ch athletics. Kind of hid everything like Penn State did in a curious way.

thorp, baddour, and butch should have all been gone in mid-2010. it will be a full 3 years too late when thorp finally leaves next summer.

I know some people close to the situation who have said he resigned in his own- not forced.

I'd resign too if shit kept hitting the fan like it has been. Seems like nobody is in charge over in Chapel Hill.

I know some people close to the situation who have said he resigned in his own- not forced.

He has the "full support" of the Board of Trustees according to a quote from the chairman. The corruption runs much deeper. This is the same organization that, when questioning Butch to find the "facts" about the NCAA violations, opened with the question of "So, how is this affecting recruiting?" Hell, even the BOG seems to have given him a pass. With that much support from your bosses, you've gotta wonder what else is left to surface that Thorpe knows is coming.

The UNC Faculty Executive Committee are practically begging Thorp to reconsider his resignation. You can't make this stuff up.

In sum, we believe that Chancellor Thorp has far exceeded expectations and stands as an example of exactly the kind of leadership that we—and all of public higher education—need at this time. We are convinced that all of his actions, including the sad announcement today, have been taken with the best interests of Carolina at heart.

On behalf of the faculty, the Faculty Executive Committee respectfully requests that Chancellor Thorp reconsider his decision to resign. We believe that, despite the difficulties of the present moment, Holden Thorp remains the best person to lead our university through these challenging times. With the College’s Council of Chairs, we urge that UNC system President Ross, the UNC-Chapel Hill Board of Trustees, and the UNC System Board of Governors continue to provide the support the chancellor needs to remain in office.

Signed,

Members of the Faculty Executive Committee

http://faccoun.unc.edu/committees-2/elected-committees/faculty-executive-committee/faculty-executive-committee-statement-on-the-resignation-of-chancellor-holden-thorp/

He may have been a damn good chancellor when it comes to the nitty gritty of the job -- big picture strategic planning, research, funding, etc -- but he handled the athletics scandal terribly and somehow became part of a scandal that he likely had nothing to do with, and he had direct knowledge of (and apparently gave complicit approval for) the Hansbrough situation. Those are 2 very high profile matters that he botched badly.

Kind of reminds me of Wellman -- he may be a phenomenal AD when it comes to the AD stuff people don't care about -- TV rights negotiations, scheduling, budgeting, etc -- but because he hired [Redacted], lots of folks are ready to run him out of town.

Ultimately, his departure is probably best for UNC. Seemed inevitable.

Packpride is like reading a crime novel.

The latest is this Jan Boxill lady, leader of the faculty executive committee at UNC, who called for an FEC emergency session in an effort to urge Thorp to stay. She held an emergency meeting for the General Faculty so that they could be updated on the situation and show support for Thorp.

Interesting thing about Boxill...her name is all over Julius Pepper's transcripts (he rcvd a B in her philosophy class), she is an academic counselor in the student athlete development dept, and her husband, Bernard Boxill, who also teaches at UNC in social and political philosophy and African American philosophy per UNC's faculty page.

her CV http://philosophy.unc.edu/people/faculty/jan-boxill

There is so, so much crap to uncover over on Cheater Hill...right now, they are also trying to find out who the other passengers were on the Hansbrough/Kupec flight to NYC...AND someone (who has posted A LOT of credible info over the last 2 years) has an email from someone that states Ol 'Roy and asst. coach Steve Robinson are caught up in this mess now and that Roy has hired an atty (he has been pretty quiet in the wake of this recent blow to the holes). Promise of "more info to be released in 5-7 days..."

Also:

Joe Ovies and Adam Gold are reporting a rumor
that the the trips that Tami Hansbrough took on the Dental Foundation dime might
have been found to not be legitimate foundation business and not allowable
expenses. They are stating if this is the case then UNC would have provided her
paid travel to Tyler's away games which is an impermissable benefit to the
player. This would make Hansblow ineligible.

Back