• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

"[North Carolina is] working very diligently to get to the bottom of it," Emmert said. "We'll just have to see what the facts are as they become clearer."

LOL

more like pack pride or whatever their new boards are called is working very diligently to get to the bottom of it.

more like pack pride or whatever their new boards are called is working very diligently to get to the bottom of it.

If UNC does ultimately get the NCAA hammer, we really need to do something nice for those guys over there.

How about we let them beat the crap out of our football and basketball teams?

Unfortunately that might very well happen. Of course if it would mean TOB getting fired, they'd probably appreciate us beating the crap out of them in football.

I distinctly remember in Hansbrough's last season when TV announcers would fall all over themselves talking about how Hansbrough was taking Sawhili like he was some kind of Renaissance Man or something.
This is hilarious.

If you guys have seen this already, sorry. Holy crap it's funny to listen to this. If you listen to like the 4:00 mark or so you get to hear the radio guys make fun of not only Hansblow but UNC in general.

I'm dying

Alright, so somebody play out the string for me. Obviously there's a huge chance this thing somehow gets minimized, swept under the rug, blamed on some outliers, and the major players skate. But what are the possibilities here if the scandal really does blow up and prove to be devastating? Roy's retirement, championships revoked, and sanctions have all been mentioned. I don't really see any of that coming to pass. But based on what's beginning to emerge, I'd love for someone to give me some optimistic projections...

Alright, so somebody play out the string for me. Obviously there's a huge chance this thing somehow gets minimized, swept under the rug, blamed on some outliers, and the major players skate. But what are the possibilities here if the scandal really does blow up and prove to be devastating? Roy's retirement, championships revoked, and sanctions have all been mentioned. I don't really see any of that coming to pass. But based on what's beginning to emerge, I'd love for someone to give me some optimistic projections...

My guess is people with power and money will spare nothing to keep basketball out of it. Football will continue to burn as the sacrificial lamb. Thorp will act like he's surprised by all of this and remind everyone how cooperative they've been. UNC will promise to make sure things are on the up and up going forward.

I do, however, think the Roy Williams retirement could be more than just noise, since I've heard that from some local folks for some time now (as in before the scandal).

The issue is that the NCAA makes most of it's budget from the NCAA tourney. People have always accused the NCAA of favoring big football schools, but they don't make any $$ from the BCS. The NCAA bball championship is where their $$ comes from. To this point, they've treated UNC (and Duke with it's recent case) with baby gloves, covering their eyes and ears to everything going on with basketball.

No question the basketball team is involved. It has probably been mentioned here before, but I distinctly remember in Hansbrough's last season when TV announcers would fall all over themselves talking about how Hansbrough was taking Swahili like he was some kind of Renaissance Man or something.

This:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1107210/index.htm

On learning Swahili at UNC
I took a class last year [he has not declared a major], and I am taking another this year. Maybe I'll use the language on a trip to Africa someday. There's no reason I chose Swahili other than that I thought it would be cool. I enjoy it.

Given that the NCAA sent an ex-UNC Football player to investigate the UNC Football program i'm going to bet the NCAA is doing everything they can to keep this under wraps. Thank Good for Kane and Co at the N&O actually doing their job. The NCAA wouldn't know what that looked like if it bit them on the nose.

On learning Swahili at UNC
I took a class last year [he has not declared a major], and I am taking another this year. Maybe I'll use the language on a trip to Africa someday. There's no reason I chose Swahili other than my athletic department academic advisers and tutors told me I would get a great grade without doing any work. I enjoy it.

FIFH

Unfortunately that might very well happen. Of course if it would mean TOB getting fired, they'd probably appreciate us beating the crap out of them in football.

We are playing you in Carter Finley this years so we should win. You can let us win next year since we can't seem to beat you guys in BB&T

According to a post on Pack Pride, this touches basketball more than even I thought:

2005 Champ team with its 10 AFAM majors* and the 2009 Champ team with its 23 enrollments in fake classes

Back