• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Senate Republicans kill veterans jobs bill

If we had an unlimited supply of money I would absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, we don't. In fact were in the red. Big time. Where do you draw the line? At what point do you decide that balancing the budget might actually be a good idea?

And yes, I absolutely agree with you that increased revenue must be a part of any rational plan to accomplish this. But your argument basically reads, "how dare they not spend money they don't have?"

Why don't you balance out the costs of paying Medicaid, food stamps, welfare and other costs versus the amount of money spent on this?

This entire annual program costs THREE HOURS of the defense budget.

How much do you think we'll get back in taxes?

My bad, it's better to give rich people a tax cut they don't need and will bankrupt the country than investing in vets.

The issue was that it was only regarding public sector jobs just so we get both sides of the coin.

The issue was that it was only regarding public sector jobs just so we get both sides of the coin.

So the issue was that the government wasn't compelling and forcing private employers to hire veterans? What other kinds of jobs can the government provide other than "public sector" jobs?

I just posrepped you for your post before this one, so I couldn't give you another one.....but this post deserves a posrep, too!!

Threads on this board have gotten to the point where they all follow what has become the liberal posting formula:

Step One - Pick a politically-related news item.

Step Town - Bitch and moan about how the news item illustrates that Republicans are greedy, disgusting, ruining the country, etc.

Step Three - Congratulate each other.

Bunch of liberals giving each other ehand jobs.

Threads on this board have gotten to the point where they all follow what has become the liberal posting formula:

Step One - Pick a politically-related news item.

Step Town - Bitch and moan about how the news item illustrates that Republicans are greedy, disgusting, ruining the country, etc.

Step Three - Congratulate each other.

Bunch of liberals giving each other ehand jobs.

Step four - Board conservatives bitch and moan about liberal posters instead of offering counter-arguments and rebuttals to points that liberal posters make.

Veterans > politics. Unfortunately, Republicans didn't get the memo and there's a lot of partisan brainwash going down on these boards. I don't care which side of the aisle you fall on: as a citizen of this country, support the damn troops and do everything in your power to make sure that those with power do the same. Nothing is more shameful than not taking every possible measure to ensure that our veterans have access to every avenue of care, support, and enfranchisement.

If we had an unlimited supply of money I would absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, we don't. In fact were in the red. Big time. Where do you draw the line? At what point do you decide that balancing the budget might actually be a good idea?

And yes, I absolutely agree with you that increased revenue must be a part of any rational plan to accomplish this. But your argument basically reads, "how dare they not spend money they don't have?"

While they're at war, you are a terrorist if you don't support them, but when they come home, you're a big government liberal for caring about them.

We started these wars. We were slobbering ourselves all over. Then the vets started coming home without bootstraps. Then the wars dragged on. Now we're tired of the war and the veterans. We'll pretend it's all the democrat's fault.

This is one of those things that everybody should agree SHOULD be funded, even if it's at the expense of other programs.

Why don't you balance out the costs of paying Medicaid, food stamps, welfare and other costs versus the amount of money spent on this?

This entire annual program costs THREE HOURS of the defense budget.

How much do you think we'll get back in taxes?

My bad, it's better to give rich people a tax cut they don't need and will bankrupt the country than investing in vets.

While they're at war, you are a terrorist if you don't support them, but when they come home, you're a big government liberal for caring about them.

We started these wars. We were slobbering ourselves all over. Then the vets started coming home without bootstraps. Then the wars dragged on. Now we're tired of the war and the veterans. We'll pretend it's all the democrat's fault.

I agree with all of you. Just saying we need to figure out how to pay for it - and everything else we spend on - before we pass it. When you're as deeply in debt as this country is, whether something is a good idea can only be half of the equation.

And for the record, I would be all for mandating that the Pentagon fund this measure through its existing budget, or taking the funding out of the existing defense budget. Tell us how you will pay for it and I will support it 100%.

And for the record, I would be all for mandating that the Pentagon fund this measure through its existing budget, or taking the funding out of the existing defense budget. Tell us how you will pay for it and I will support it 100%.

FWIW, the VA does not fall under the DoD. I skimmed the article in the OP, and it makes no mention of specific funding or implementation. But if this bill falls (logically) under the VA, then the Pentagon wouldn't have shit to say about it.

A "shifty bill" used to "score easy points in an election year." Sigh.

If you need more evidence that purely partisan considerations are destroying the ability of our leaders to actually govern, look no further.

A "shifty bill" used to "score easy points in an election year." Sigh.

If you need more evidence that purely partisan considerations are destroying the ability of our leaders to actually govern, look no further.

Exactly, you should probably look at the Senate Majority Leader first :)

What about this bill is shifty? Specifically.

This was a public sector jobs bill only, what sense does that make? OH YEAH, a great way to show "heartless" Republicans up by the Dems. I'm not fooled, neither should you. Political gamesmanship with the troops, classy!

Back