• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fashion Thread

sooooooooooooo....

i had a wedding at home in florida this weekend, and i decided to wear my black suit. i hadnt gotten it tapered/shortened yet because i hadnt worn it since new year's. i decided it would be easier to get it done down there. so i went to get it done at the alterations place by my parents' house. i come out, and she says "what's wrong?" i tried to explain to her the current fashion for men's pants is short and tapered (like the below image), and she just wouldn't buy it. i had to pull up some pics from gq to show her. it was hilarious, and my fiance who was with me got a kick out of telling everyone about how i taught the woman and another (gay) customer in there that "high water pants" (her words) were "in."

upgrade5-after.jpg

so of course today the washington post tweets a blog post featuring a GQ fashion upgrade for hill staffers. lol

I get that that style is in, but I'll still never do it so long as the people across the table in interviews and client meetings are old fogies. Much easier to just be timeless.

Those pants just don't look comfortable. How are you supposed to pull off sweet dance moves in skin tight pants?

I get that that style is in, but I'll still never do it so long as the people across the table in interviews and client meetings are old fogies. Much easier to just be timeless.

i like stylish/fashionable looks on guys when it's a purely casual look, but i agree with regards to work clothes. timeless is the way to go with work stuff. no idea if phan is using this suit for only weddings/social events, or if it doubles as work clothing though.

dude, wearing baggy, ill-fitting pants isn't timeless. these are obviously "gq'd" up, but a tailored pair of slacks are a great look. let me see if i can get a pic of my pants from the wedding to give you some perspective on how it looks normally.

On the real, how many of you have $125+ ties? That's stupid and ridiculous.

here's the article:

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201211/project-upgrade-washington-dc-capitol-hill

other than being "over-styled" you really think these guys looked more professional before?

a lot of their "before" pictures are bad too. their clothes don't fit well. definitely too baggy, and look like they're built for somebody an inch or so taller, and a size bigger. but that doesn't mean that short pants look professional either.

this is what i think men's pants should look like if they're in a business casual kind of environment:

MJ00026_OLIVE

wow, that's really big, and i don't have a clue how to make it smaller.

a lot of their "before" pictures are bad too. their clothes don't fit well. definitely too baggy, and look like they're built for somebody an inch or so taller, and a size bigger. but that doesn't mean that short pants look professional either.

this is what i think men's pants should look like if they're in a business casual kind of environment:

MJ00026_OLIVE

meh... too long (he's wearing loafers and they touch), and they're straight leg. mine are slightly more tapered, and they'd hit dress shoes in the same spot (so they'd be about a half inch higher).

meh... too long (he's wearing loafers and they touch), and they're straight leg. mine are slightly more tapered, and they'd hit dress shoes in the same spot (so they'd be about a half inch higher).

we had some woman come in and give a talk one time when i was just starting my career about how to dress for a business casual environment. the rule for pants is actually that they're supposed to touch the very top of the sole of the shoe (i'm not sure if that makes sense. but basically where the heel of your foot sits on top of the back of your shoe, that's where the pant leg hits). so actually maybe an inch and a half longer than what is in the picture. also, your socks are supposed to match your pants, which automatically eliminates most of the guys in that link you gave.

again, i'm all for trendy fashions outside of the office. but none of those pictures from your link are office appropriate, in my opinion.

Back