• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fashion Thread

I agree with the necklaces...and that is the only type of jewelry that I wear on a regular basis (besides my wedding & engagement rings). If I had pierced ears, I could see the diamond stud, white pearl stud & hoop earrings as essentials. I have a metal dress watch but haven't worn it in over 6 years (when the battery died). These days I don't see a watch as being essential since pretty much everyone uses their cellphone to check the time.

This is absolutely false. It's even more false for a woman who is trying to carry a small purse. Also watches are great accessories/pieces of jewelry.

yeah i like to wear a watch to work so i can check the time during meetings without having to pull out my phone. plus i just like the look of them/layering with a few small bracelets.

This is absolutely false. It's even more false for a woman who is trying to carry a small purse. Also watches are great accessories/pieces of jewelry.

in my opinion, while they may not be necessary, i agree with HP that it's the look you're going for, not the functionality. my parents gave me a watch when i was a freshman, and it's been fantastic. i had to have the battery replaced a few times, and earlier this year i had to ship it off to get cleaned because i let water get in it and the gears rusted slightly. but so far i've gotten nearly 10 years of use out of a $250 watch. not too shabby.

and i still swear that it's not possible to be discrete with a cell phone, while it's pretty easy to sneak a look at a watch if necessary.

Great accessory, yes. Essential, not really. My phone fits in a small purse & I don't leave home without it.

I am also a minimalist with accessories...obviously. ;)

Last edited:
long statement necklace (like with a pendant in a fun color), short statement necklace, in a different fun color. if the long is silver-based, then vary it up and get a gold-based shorter necklace. i'm a necklace fiend though and have at least 7-8 statement necklaces (easy way to make a plain shirt/dress more fun without the bulkiness of a scarf)

dash, i have a long gold necklace with a shell-shaped pendant on the end. i have owned it for probably 2 years, but have yet to wear it. ideas on what i could pair it with?

when i bought it, i bought it go to with a 1-shouldered dress from vestique. but the dress ended up being really, REALLY short, and i just never could wear it. now i don't know what else to use the necklace for.

Great accessory, yes. Essential, not really. My phone fits in a small purse & I don't leave home without it.

the argument could be made that nothing is actually essential wrt jewelry. i guess what we're going for here is more "really great accessories that are just standards for you"

Either way, "pretty much everyone" doesn't use their cell phone to tell time these days and as others have noted, it's not at all discreet.

dash, i have a long gold necklace with a shell-shaped pendant on the end. i have owned it for probably 2 years, but have yet to wear it. ideas on what i could pair it with?

when i bought it, i bought it go to with a 1-shouldered dress from vestique. but the dress ended up being really, REALLY short, and i just never could wear it. now i don't know what else to use the necklace for.

you can wear it with almost anything that's kinda plain to spice it up a little. like even a plain crew-necked t-shirt on the weekends with jeans. or like a plain dress for work with a cardigan (actually this is pretty much what i'm wearing today).

it'd also be cute with somethng that's only lightly patterned, like polka dots or stripes.

I love bangles and hate wearing a watch because I don't like anything tight around my wrist. So I'm the anti-lbe. (Except I have small wrists too!)

I like the jewelry list (though I'm a total hippy when it comes to diamonds). I also like having a few simple rings where I can wear more than one at once without it looking like too much.

My sister in law got me these great earrings for my birthday. They are basically a pink square rock with a gold square backing that have all these little thin gold rectangles that dangle down. So they jingle when I move my head around. (It is the simple things in life that make me happy.)

love it. wish i could figure out the measurements on it.

Also, on jewelry, my favorite place to buy accessories is my favorite boutique, Mint Julep. They tend to carry jewelry from some local artists, at a range of different price points. And they now have an online store if anyone is interested, though the selection is somewhat limited:

Mint Julep

Edit: local as in local where they are - Boston and NYC.

Last edited:
ok ladies, working off of the website that dashionista posted in the girl thread.

what do you think are the ESSENTIALS for jewelry? i know most people have like 1230958203958 pairs of earrings (i personally have 2, and i don't even wear 1 of those 2). but what do you think you actually almost HAVE to have?

here is the list that the website had:

diamond stud earrings
white pearl stud earrings
hoop earrings
fun earrings
dressy dangle earrings
pearl necklace
diamond pendant necklace
statement necklace
metal chain bracelet
metal dress watch
cocktail ring

(you said this a few posts later and I forgot to quote that one: "the argument could be made that nothing is actually essential wrt jewelry. i guess what we're going for here is more "really great accessories that are just standards for you"")

I don't have/wear most of those jewelry items. My watch battery died a couple years ago and I haven't bothered getting it fixed. The links were never quite the right size so it was a little too big, but when I took out one link it got too small. So I'd wear it to the office and immediately take it off at my desk because otherwise it would just clatter against my keyboard/desk when typing. That's also why I don't wear bracelets. I wear my Wake class ring every day but find big bulky rings (so, cocktail rings) to be uncomfortable.

I don't wear any gold so all my stuff is silver (or white gold, whatever). I have a number of simple thin chain necklaces with small charms that I wear one almost daily. Generally I go with the simple necklaces. I'm not exactly sure what makes something a "statement necklace" but I have a few longer ones (I think having at least one long necklace is helpful in terms of accessories, I have two I wear mostly, one just silver and one with multi-colored beads) and some short ones with more pizazz (colors/beads/multiple strands). It takes a lot more planning for me to wear a noticeable necklace. Usually I get dressed and choose jewelry last but for me, I'd have to choose a "statement necklace" first then plan the rest of the outfit around it. I don't have anything with real or fake diamonds. I have a couple strands of pearls but I wear my less-traditional gray/black freshwater pearls way more often than my traditional white cultured pearls. I feel like pearls are too preppy for me.

This is my go-to necklace, from J.H. Breakell which I love. I have this star as well as a cross and a snowflake:
SPD032.jpg

I've been fawning over this necklace (handmade recycled glass beads from Ghana) for years but can't justify $220 for a necklace:
1047_719_large.jpg

And I have a bajillionty pairs of earrings. Silver in assorted shapes. Some studs and small hoops but mostly dangles that are max like 1.5 inches long. No diamond studs though. Like my thoughts on a pearl necklace, I feel like my white pearl studs are kind of hoity-toity but frequently they work for the office, especially when I have my hair pulled back and don't feel comfortable wearing dangle earrings. I keep meaning to get a pair of earrings like this:

7mm_%2520ball_earrings_%28silver%29.jpg

I love bangles and hate wearing a watch because I don't like anything tight around my wrist. So I'm the anti-lbe. (Except I have small wrists too!)

I like the jewelry list (though I'm a total hippy when it comes to diamonds). I also like having a few simple rings where I can wear more than one at once without it looking like too much.

My sister in law got me these great earrings for my birthday. They are basically a pink square rock with a gold square backing that have all these little thin gold rectangles that dangle down. So they jingle when I move my head around. (It is the simple things in life that make me happy.)

ahh I have a few pairs of earrings that jingle and it drives me bonkers. I can wear them out and about sometimes but never to work because putting the phone against them makes me crazy.

For anyone looking for a funky bracelet or necklace, check out Ronda Smith Designs. Ronda & my younger sister were in HS together and she now designs & creates her own jewelry which is selling in boutiques in Atlanta & around the country as well as online.

For us men, check out Frank & Oak. Highly recommended. They ask you questions once you sign up, they then ship you some clothes once a month I believe. Try them on, whatever you don't like, you send back. You keep & pay for what you want.

It's like a men's personal tailor. And it's all styles that are in & look really nice

Peacoats for men?

When did this trend start?

http://www.bonobos.com/the-halifax

way late, but I love my peacoat. Gets soooo much wear between October and March or so

my roommate actually caused a traffic accident in downtown charlotte when some guy watched her walking down the street in neon green skinny jeans one day. whoops :)

(ps-love them too. though i don't actually have any. at this point i'm just admiring them on other people)

colored pants are literally the greatest thing of all time if you have any sense of fashion and can match it up. Plus the situation....I go all whacka over orange or something pants at Orioles games or red pants at Terps games, you could probably find a decent gold pair for gamedays.

Edit: maybe not gold unless you wanted to rock the Michael Jackson look (which would be awesome) but yellow

Levi's are my jam. DF2009 can attest to my obsession. I need to branch out.

Meh, rock with what works. I probably need a couple new pairs for the upcoming season.

Either way, "pretty much everyone" doesn't use their cell phone to tell time these days and as others have noted, it's not at all discreet.

I bought a new watch online but need to take some links out. Its fine since there's always a clock visible at work, home or in the car but oly crap I hate checking the cell phone when out.

Back