• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The World's Happiest Countries

Norway from your wiki:

"In spite of the relatively low level of religious practice in Norwegian society, the local clergy often play important social roles outside of their spiritual and liturgical responsibilities. A survey conducted by Gallup International in 65 countries in 2005 found that Norway was the least religious among the Western countries surveyed, with only 36% of the population considering themselves religious, 9% considering themselves atheist and 46% considering themselves "neither religious nor atheist".[29]

Gallup says Norway is the least religious Western country.

That proves my point.

Just because there is a national religion doesn't mean people are religious.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/05/norway-shows-the-way-by-separating-church-and-state

Last edited:
Women loving sex, six weeks vacation, high salaries, excellent state healthcare are good starters.

Norway from your wiki:

"In spite of the relatively low level of religious practice in Norwegian society, the local clergy often play important social roles outside of their spiritual and liturgical responsibilities. A survey conducted by Gallup International in 65 countries in 2005 found that Norway was the least religious among the Western countries surveyed, with only 36% of the population considering themselves religious, 9% considering themselves atheist and 46% considering themselves "neither religious nor atheist".[29]

Gallup says Norway is the least religious Western country.

That proves my point.

Just because there is a national religion doesn't mean people are religious.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/05/norway-shows-the-way-by-separating-church-and-state

No, actually you said having little to no tie between politics and religion. A state run or affiliated church is exactly the opposite of that. Personal belief levels are low, but religion is most certainly related closely to politics here.

I think there is a strong tie between politics & religion in this country....but I don't find much correlation at all between holding strong religious beliefs being Christian. If you polled all the people in this country who consider themselves to be Republicans, for example, you would get a large percentage who also claim to hold strong religious beliefs.....yet the policies that they support in the Republican Party aren't representative of Christianity at all.

Here in my post meant Norway, seeing as I live here (Oslo).

No, actually you said having little to no tie between politics and religion. A state run or affiliated church is exactly the opposite of that. Personal belief levels are low, but religion is most certainly related closely to politics here.

There is the Church of England but if you ran on the basis of your religiousity you'd lose. There same is true in Norway.

Just because there is a titular state religion doesn't mean it impacts politics or getting elected.

There is the Church of England but if you ran on the basis of your religiousity you'd lose. There same is true in Norway.

Just because there is a titular state religion doesn't mean it impacts politics or getting elected.

This is not an argument worth having because you changed your argument and you don't really know anything about Norway.

That is what I meant by the first post. If it didn't come across that way, my bad.

I think it's a cultural thing moreso than demographics (which is a touchy topic to say the least). I remember my first trip to Europe several years ago. I was touring Rome and took note of the fact that at 10:00 on Monday morning a number of storefronts/services (pharmacies and such) were still closed. The explanation I received was that Sunday evenings were reserved as family time with late dinners, drinking wine, strolling around etc. that the businesses just weren't quite open yet (not to mention the mid-day 'siestas' that you often see). As an American, where we are conditioned to have almost anything we want immediately and 24-7, this almost seemed unthinkable to me.
Another point is that many European companies are mandated to provided several weeks vacation to their employees, where in the US many companies provide a paltry 2 weeks (esp if you are just starting out with a company) which I find absurd in a civilized modern society.

I guess it's just a matter of priorities- US seems to be more focused on live to work, make money, buy material things, keep up with the Joneses, etc- all very illusory in one's pursuit of happiness.
Europe is more focused on work to live, relationships, experiences, time with family, living the good life- they seem to 'get it' better than we do in some aspects.

I would argue that yes, the social compact may be better exercised there- e.g. the social safety net allays most people concerns re survival; does it take a bit of an edge off "productivity" and "success"? Perhaps, but where has that left us in the US?

Great post - I would add that in some ways we are all damned by the American dream. Really just about anyone can make it in this country if you work hard and play the game. So we all (or at least a lot of us) kill. Ourselves trying. In Europe (in broad strokes) if your dad is a cobbler, you'll be a cobbler too and that's that. You can't really do much better and therefore your not depressed when you don't make it rain. I work for a European based company and the people over there just don't care about big houses and going to Vegas and shit like that. They just want their 8 weeks of vaca so they can go hiking. It's just a simpler life.

.....and sounds like a much better one to me. I can understand why the overall level of happiness is higher there. Too many people in this country spend too much time worrying about things that really aren't that important......and most of those things involve the need to accumulate more & more material wealth.

Yeah but it's pretty fucking cool to grow up here. I grew up w a single mom that made $20k a year but I got good grades, got into wake, borrowed my ass off, then got a couple advanced degrees after MSD. Now i make good dough, live in a big house, drive a SUV and rent a beach house every year. I would have had no fucking chance in the EU, but the US has done good by me. The depressed people are the ones that pissed their chance away.

Back