• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

For real though: What is Romney's Path to Victory?

The critical part of this is without the government bailout GM and Chrysler would be dead. There was no private money. Even Bain had said no to participating in a managed bankruptcy.

You mean to tell me that through the same bankruptcy process that dozens of airlines survived GM would have shuttered everything and we wouldn't have the Volt? Now really...

Every Republican ever.

But the idea that the GOP won't have a ground game in Ohio is silly. In 2008, when the GOP had to have Ohio to win a close election, they lost it.

FIFY. Not saying Ohio would've won the election for McCain (it obviously wouldn't have), but its apples and oranges to compare it to 2000/2004. And 2008 for that matter.

You mean to tell me that through the same bankruptcy process that dozens of airlines survived GM would have shuttered everything and we wouldn't have the Volt? Now really...

There was private money for the airlines. There was no private money for GM.

Arrgh. You're either ignoring easily learned facts, or, sheesh, I don't know. Not reading or remembering well.

Again, GM did not have the cash flow to survive a standard Chapter 11 bankruptcy, even for one week, because credit was totally frozen everywhere at the height of the crisis. Every single company going through a Chapter 11 reorganization -- like the airlines, for example -- use borrowed money to meet their fiscal obligations during the process. You have to acquire funds from somewhere to keep paying your bills under Chapter 11. And that was the problem: timing. NO ONE WOULD LEND GM MONEY DURING THE COLLAPSE. Not an single financial entity. GM was screwed, wholly and completely, and would absolutely have cratered into a Chapter 7 bankruptcy (read: liquidation) unless the US government stepped in as the lender. Look it up.

Last edited:
People weren't even lending good businesses money then.

FIFY. Not saying Ohio would've won the election for McCain (it obviously wouldn't have), but its apples and oranges to compare it to 2000/2004. And 2008 for that matter.

I guess your speculation is better than my speculation...I'll at least take the benefit of history in mine. If Ohio had a weak GOP ground game, the Dems might have won the last 5 presidential elections and the GOP in Ohio wouldn't have one of the longest serving state party chairs in either party.

Ask yourself this...if Ohio has all these jobs connected to the union-heavy car manufacturing industry (I think they're including a lot of only marginally connected jobs in that figure) that's going to make it so tough for Romney to win as the board libs are saying, how is it that Ohio has been reliably Republican in most statewide offices and the legislature for most of the last two decades?

Obama is ahead by 6-10% in OH according to all but Rasmussen. This has been stable for months.

Obama is ahead by 6-10% in OH according to all but Rasmussen. This has been stable for months.

And if that holds, it won't be a close election and ground game won't matter. And the state GOP will still have a majority in the legislature in Ohio.

Ho hum.

Romney's path to victory is if GO, DODO, and all the other scary right wing nuts suddenly disappear and he is allowed to return to a reasonable just right of center conservative.

Romney's path to victory is if GO, DODO, and all the other scary right wing nuts suddenly disappear and he is allowed to return to a reasonable just right of center conservative.

His path to victory should have been trying to ignore the base all primary season because no other contender was a serious option and not trying to play the Etch-A-Sketch game.

Herman Cain really buttfucked the GOP with his very specific 9-9-9 plan. Having to respond with any specifics whatsoever (20% rate cuts, ambiguous closing of deductions) has hurt Romney in the general. But everyone felt like they needed to match the pizza plan with something that people could try to evaluate and not just a promise of cuts.

He crushed the debate and is still going to loose. He'll do better than McCain because he will win at least Indiana and maybe NC, but the Mormonator ain't getting to 269.

He crushed the debate and is still going to loose. He'll do better than McCain because he will win at least Indiana and maybe NC, but the Mormonator ain't getting to 269.

Mormons gonna Morm.

He's going to win Florida and North Carolina (again, that's Joe Biden!), and if the late breakers decide they're fed up with the Yes We Can! crowd, he'll probably take Virginia too. IF a lot goes right, he can find a way to steal one of the larger swing states and this could get interesting.

J
Mormons gonna Morm.

He's going to win Florida and North Carolina (again, that's Joe Biden!), and if the late breakers decide they're fed up with the Yes We Can! crowd, he'll probably take Virginia too. IF a lot goes right, he can find a way to steal one of the larger swing states and this could get interesting.

Wishful thinking at best. But if that's all you got well I guess you have to go with it.

That's a dream scenario. Romney better hope Obama's Nigerian birth certificate shows up. Confirming what old white guys have known for years, Obama is just an email scammer gone horribly wrong.

The reality is Obama wins Ohio and then all he needs is NV or CO. He's ahead ion both.

I don't know how you can say that after how the last debate went...what if the other ones are worse?

I'd be more confident that it would matter before millions of people were allowed to vote before the debate series is even finished. That should not be allowed unless you live on foreign soil.

I don't know how you can say that after how the last debate went...what if the other ones are worse?

I'd be more confident that it would matter before millions of people were allowed to vote before the debate series is even finished. That should not be allowed unless you live on foreign soil.

Because people have already decided. Those that haven't aren't watching the debates, and frankly, may not vote. Whatever hope Romeny had went out the window when then undecided voters learned via their FB friends that he was going to fire Big Bird.

Because people have already decided. Those that haven't aren't watching the debates, and frankly, may not vote. Whatever hope Romeny had went out the window when then undecided voters learned via their FB friends that he was going to fire Big Bird.

That's just a daft opinion. And most of what I saw on facebook from a variety of political persuasions (or none at all) is that Obama didn't do very well.

Apparently a lot of people still haven't decided because a lot of people watched the last debate (I didn't, because I know who I'm voting for its not either of the people debating).

Back