• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Siren at Drudge

The Romney think-tank is circling the drain. He may bottom out harder than McCain. Attacking Obama in the area of race might not be the dumbest possible play, but it's close. I'd rank them religion, race, then character. Totally self destructive tacks.

Last edited:
The Romney think-tank is circling the drain. He may bottom out harder than McCain. Attacking Obama in the area of race might not be the dumbest possible play, but it's close. I'd rank them religion, race, then experience. Totally self destructive tacks.

Nice.

Got me between edits. Attacking an incumbent on experience is always a losing proposition for a challenger. Obama is the most qualified person in America to be president, for obvious reasons. He's actually been president.

I edited because Romney would lose bigger in a pissing match regarding the other three categories that I have above. It'd be like Romney trying to win a likability battle with Obama. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Got me between edits. Attacking an incumbent on experience is always a losing proposition for a challenger. Obama is the most qualified person in America to be president, for obvious reasons. He's actually been president.

Quantity of experience is a poor substitute for quality.

I'm not a detective, but I think I have figured out where you stand on November 6th (and in the absence of an i.d. law, probably where you stand on November 5th, 4th, 3rd and so on, ;)). Let's assume you guys are right and this election is as over as a Cubs baseball season in July. Team Yes We Can! sweeps back into office for another four years of Bush tax rates, open Guantanamo and spellbinding appearances on The View. Hoo-ray!

Now that acclimation to a second term is a matter of historical fact, what case would you have made for downtrodden Romney against the Obama incumbency? Put your best Devil's advocate foot forward. Let's hear it, counselor.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. I just don't think you can credibly run against an incumbent by saying you have more experience. No one has more experience being a president than a president running for reelection. In fact, that is typically a huge, overwhelming experience advantage, because there is no job remotely similar to that of being president. It's just a loser argument for a challenger.

Ugh. That will have to be a project for tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. I just don't think you can credibly run against an incumbent by saying you have more experience. No one has more experience being a president than a president running for reelection. In fact, that is typically a huge, overwhelming experience advantage, because there is no job remotely similar to that of being president. It's just a loser argument for a challenger.

Ugh. That will have to be a project for tomorrow.

Very true. Add to that George Will's proposition that people who voted for Obama don't want to admit they made a mistake and may want to give him a second chance to get it right. Hope springs eternal and all that. Will may be on to something though. It may take two terms of Obama to get over the Bush presidency and vote in a conservative.

Now that acclimation to a second term is a matter of historical fact, what case would you have made for downtrodden Romney against the Obama incumbency? Put your best Devil's advocate foot forward. Let's hear it, counselor.

1. Admit you were actually governor of Mass. Highlight your ability to get things done with a democratic legislature.
2. Embrace your role with Romneycare.
3. Fashion yourself as a consensus builder with real economic experience.
4. Agree to raise taxes on people like you and the President as away of demonstrating the shared sacrifice necessary for the country to get back on good footing.

Of course, those positions don't get you out of the 'pub primary because people like "Rick perry is a great leader" dirk wouldn't have voted for Romney

In fact, that is typically a huge, overwhelming experience advantage, because there is no job remotely similar to that of being president.

How about GM.for the Yankees? It's the only job with a comparable budget.

Very true. Add to that George Will's proposition that people who voted for Obama don't want to admit they made a mistake and may want to give him a second chance to get it right. Hope springs eternal and all that. Will may be on to something though. It may take two terms of Obama to get over the Bush presidency and vote in a conservative.

A mistake was not made because the alternative to Obama was worse. Will's argument would have legs if his opposition wasn't McCain/Palin.

1. Admit you were actually governor of Mass. Highlight your ability to get things done with a democratic legislature.
4. Agree to raise taxes on people like you and the President as away of demonstrating the shared sacrifice necessary for the country to get back on good footing.

Of course, those positions don't get you out of the 'pub primary because people like "Rick perry is a great leader" dirk wouldn't have voted for Romney

In other words, move to the center and run a general election campaign. Mitt missed his etch a sketch moment badly because he's terrified of the Tea Party base and being called a flip flopper again.

The GOP should be way ahead in this election, but they had a crappy field (save for Huntsman) and settled for a spineless opportunist who ran a terrible campaign. 2012 also added 4 more years of life to the Tea Party. Had they nominated a ticket of Santorum and Bachmann (both who believe every word of the extremist GOP platform), they would have been crushed. The GOP base will blame this loss on moderate Mitt and go with 2 "true conservative believers" in 2016 when their policies are even more out of synch with evolving electoral demographics. It will be at least 2020 before the GOP runs a moderate centrist who can win.

In other words, move to the center and run a general election campaign. Mitt missed his etch a sketch moment badly because he's terrified of the Tea Party base and being called a flip flopper again.

The GOP should be way ahead in this election, but they had a crappy field (save for Huntsman) and settled for a spineless opportunist who ran a terrible campaign. 2012 also added 4 more years of life to the Tea Party. Had they nominated a ticket of Santorum and Bachmann (both who believe every word of the extremist GOP platform), they would have been crushed. The GOP base will blame this loss on moderate Mitt and go with 2 "true conservative believers" in 2016 when their policies are even more out of synch with evolving electoral demographics. It will be at least 2020 before the GOP runs a moderate centrist who can win.

Accurate analysis, and sad for the country.

Kennedy, 1994: "If we give him two more weeks, he may even vote for me, because those are things that I am for."

I really wish Huntsman was the nominee. I would go all in to vote for him. Brilliant mind and moderate leader.

I wish Obama would use his Hampton VA accent tonight.

I wish Obama would use his Hampton VA accent tonight.

I hope Romney acknowledges that yes indeed, although he wants us all to forget it, he was a governor of a state at one time.

Back