• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Free Birth Control = Fewer Abortions

Are some uber pro-life folks believe birth control is just as bad as abortion.

Could a doctor on here please clarify this. Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that the birth control pills work not by preventing fertilization of the egg but by preventing the fertilized egg from attaching itself to the wall of the uterus, and so it is expelled and lost. If this is true, and you hold that life begins at the moment of conception, then in the moral sense taking birth control pills is like abortion, although taking the pill would certainly not have nearly as many health dangers as multiple abortions might for women.

Could a doctor on here please clarify this. Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that the birth control pills work not by preventing fertilization of the egg but by preventing the fertilized egg from attaching itself to the wall of the uterus, and so it is expelled and lost. If this is true, and you hold that life begins at the moment of conception, then in the moral sense taking birth control pills is like abortion, although taking the pill would certainly not have nearly as many health dangers as multiple abortions might for women.

They generally prevent ovulation all together, but can also prevent penetration of sperm into the upper genital tract by increasing the viscosity of cervical mucus (or decreasing levels of it). As I understand it, it's not really clear how they affect implantation of eggs into the endometrium of the uterus, but it certainly isn't a primary mechanism of action.

ETA: not a doctor. just a lonely scientist.

Isn't the internet birth control for 20-30 somethings?

I've always loved these arguments when it comes to birth control and other women's rights in politics. Because if there is one group of people who are most likely to be experts on the subject, its definitely elderly lawyers who've gotten themselves elected.

That'd be great if you could ensure free and open access to the inhibitor, but you know that shit would get restricted to certain populations and eventually sold on the black market etc.

The commerce clause, of course, gives the government people the right to regulate copulation since jizzm is often squirted over state lines.

The commerce clause, of course, gives the government people the right to regulate copulation since jizzm is often squirted over state lines.

Now I'm picturing two people boning while straddling a state line.

You never got a bj driving across the Ben Franklin or Walt Whitman Bridge?

Now I'm picturing two people boning while straddling a state line.

Boning in one state clearly affects the supply/demand curve for boning in other states, so anyone who participates in boning should be subject to federal regulation and taxation. People should not be allowed to copulate willy-nilly.

Back