• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US jobless rate falls to 7.8 pct., 44-month low

Shockingly, an aging population coincides with declining labor force particpation rates.

My point is that this month's gains are attributable to Biden's three-letter word: J-O-B-S, not dropouts.

Aging plays a part, but not to the degree that "not in the labor force" number has risen the past 5 years. For Aging to be the sole factor, we need to have retirees be 10 million more than the population growth new workers. Last I read (mentioned in Mish's post), we still need to create 125,000 jobs per month to keep unemployment flat. If people were retiring at a greater rate, I would imagine that number to be less than 0. It's not.

People%20Not%20In%20Labor%20Force.jpg

And in percentage terms:

LFP%20Rate.jpg

"I'm guessing there was a MASSIVE amount of folks that dropped from the "looking for work" to the "retired/havebeenlookingforworksolongIgaveupandnolongercoun t" number."

It's indefensible. The labor force is in the report, and it grew in September. U-3 fell because J-O-B-S rose.

na, it's because Obama forced people to stop looking for work and sign up for welfare, instead

"I'm guessing there was a MASSIVE amount of folks that dropped from the "looking for work" to the "retired/havebeenlookingforworksolongIgaveupandnolongercoun t" number."

It's indefensible. The labor force is in the report, and it grew in September. U-3 fell because J-O-B-S rose.

So you quote the thing I was guessing and then ignore the part where I was no longer guessing. Yes, the September jobs report was better than I expected, the jobs report for the past year is still quite weak and indicates we're headed towards recession. You wanna buy a tower records Eduardo?

Last edited:

Psshaw with your facts and numbers.

P A R T T I M E J O B S!!!

America, fuck yeah

Doesn't look like the bond market is putting too much stock into the jobs report, 10 Yr T yields barely up on the day. Should be much higher if the market felt good about the jobs report.

Doesn't look like the bond market is putting too much stock into the jobs report, 10 Yr T yields barely up on the day. Should be much higher if the market felt good about the jobs report.

Wasn't it expected to drop? Probably already priced into the market.

The Dow and S&P 500 were at a 5 year highs around 10:30am. 3rd quarter earnings season starts in earnest next week. Rather silly to try to tease out one specific story from closing bond yields.

Wasn't it expected to drop? Probably already priced into the market.

No, was expected to be flat to 8.3%. So the NFP came in right at expectations but the Household Survey dropped as much as 0.5% compared to expected. If the bond market was thrilled with the 7.8% yields would be much higher today. The bond market isn't buying the unemployment rate released today.

The difference between the 873k gains in the household survey and the 114k jobs in the NFP report just doesn't make sense. Especially when 582k of those household survey gains were from "part-time for economic reasons".

na, it's because Obama forced people to stop looking for work and sign up for welfare, instead

I think it's more like Americans are quitters, or at least 47% of them.

The Dow and S&P 500 were at a 5 year highs around 10:30am. 3rd quarter earnings season starts in earnest next week. Rather silly to try to tease out one specific story from closing bond yields.

dj-lt-infl.gif

The green line is average return of 1.9% before the taxman. Everything is wonderful.

Even though this is from Hot Air, it seems like a reasonable analysis of the numbers.

A brief note on polling and unemployment data analysis
POSTED AT 1:51 PM ON OCTOBER 5, 2012 BY ED MORRISSEY

I’m noticing a couple of odd reactions to today’s jobless data and the analysis it has produced so far today. On one hand, we have people proclaiming the difference between the household and establishment data as proof of a conspiracy to re-elect Barack Obama at the BLS. On the other, we have a number of voices calling anyone who applies any kind of critical analysis to these figures as “truthers” or “deniers.” Tom Elia has collected some of the latter at The New Editor, but I’ll focus on explaining what exactly the figures are, and why critical analysis does not amount to “trutherism.”

The BLS conducts two surveys each month to determine employment data. The first is the establishment survey, which polls 410,000 businesses each month. The second is the household survey, which polls 60,000 households each month. As one might expect, the larger survey provides a more stable series and more reliable data. The smaller one is still a very significant sample, but in a nation of around 150 million households, it’s hardly an exact science.

Any poll series can produce an outlier result. That’s true even of larger sample surveys, even when the sample is properly balanced, and even without malicious intent to tweak the results. It’s more likely to happen with smaller samples than larger samples, but can happen any time in surveys. That’s why it’s important to look at trending more than a single result within polling series, although some applications (jobless rates, elections) are intended more for single-result reporting.

In today’s case, the establishment survey showed a result that corresponds closely to other economic trends and that doesn’t deviate much from the intraseries trend. The household survey, from which the jobless rate is derived, showed a very large deviation from its own trending and from the growth data in the economy. The last time we had that many added in the household survey, the GDP growth rate was around 9%, and it’s currently 1.5%.

That’s why people who understand data and surveys look skeptically at the result of the household survey. It doesn’t mean a conspiracy is in place; it does strongly suggest that this month’s sample of 60,000 households threw an outlier, especially when compared with the establishment survey and other economic data. If so, it will likely correct itself in the next report. That’s not “trutherism” or denial, but straightforward data analysis.

Update: Just to remind everyone, the next report comes out before the election — the Friday before, actually. And if the BLS wanted to cook the numbers, I’m pretty sure they’d have cooked the establishment survey, too, to show more than +114K.

This is really not that complicated. We have created fewer jobs every month for the past 3 months. We have created fewer jobs in 2012 than in 2011 and in 2011 we created less jobs than in 2010. So therefore its easy to see why the unemployment rate has gone down. Riiigghhtt.

Back