• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US jobless rate falls to 7.8 pct., 44-month low

Does this count the Lockheed layoffs that the President is having them hold until after the election on? Of course not. How much would that cut into the purported job growth? And I suspect many/most of those are full-time jobs too.

Does it account for part-time jobs replacing full-time jobs? Of course not.

Unemployment goes down (but not really when you account for labor force participation rate), underemployment goes up. Still far, far from a healthy economy. The percentage of people in the labor market is at a late 70s level? Like before a lot of married women decided to work? Can't explain that away with a few extra old people.

Gives Obama something to talk about before what now appears to be a pivotal second debate (even though a lot/way too many people have already voted).

This might fool some major metro and network TV reporters, but people that live in the real America know better. Whether it's enough for them to vote out Obama...well, we'll find out, but I don't think many folks are buying the delusion that the economy is getting markedly better.

Does this count the Lockheed layoffs that the President is having them hold until after the election on? Of course not. How much would that cut into the purported job growth? And I suspect many/most of those are full-time jobs too.

Does it account for part-time jobs replacing full-time jobs? Of course not.

Unemployment goes down (but not really when you account for labor force participation rate), underemployment goes up. Still far, far from a healthy economy. The percentage of people in the labor market is at a late 70s level? Like before a lot of married women decided to work? Can't explain that away with a few extra old people.

Gives Obama something to talk about before what now appears to be a pivotal second debate (even though a lot/way too many people have already voted).

This might fool some major metro and network TV reporters, but people that live in the real America know better. Whether it's enough for them to vote out Obama...well, we'll find out, but I don't think many folks are buying the delusion that the economy is getting markedly better.

Like before women were forced to work, whether they wanted to or not, by high taxes and high inflation.

KS, why would layoffs that haven't happened yet be included in a survey of past (i.e. September) conditions?

It's the next right after people without cable and far away from others.

A national survey of 60,000 people is pretty damn impressive and very reliable. The national presidential polls are around 6-8,000 people. The margin of error is probably very low.

Last edited:
A national survey of 60,000 people is pretty damn impressive and very reliable. The national presidential polls are around 6-8,000 people. The margin of error is probably very low.

What about the poll of 410,000 businesses?

Like before women were forced to work, whether they wanted to or not, by high taxes and high inflation.

Kudos, DODO, this is the walk-off game seven playoff HR against "the old stupidest statements I've read on these boards" to win you the troll world series....

that or you're not married.

Kudos, DODO, this is the walk-off game seven playoff HR against "the old stupidest statements I've read on these boards" to win you the troll world series....

that or you're not married.

Don't you think most families now require two incomes to barely get by?

The DJIA rose more on Thursday (after Romney's debate win) than it did today with this supposedly "good" employment news.

What about the poll of 410,000 businesses?

It's legit too. What's your point? Of course I'm not sure why they have to adjust it sometimes by more than 50% after a month. Maybe someone can explain it. The last two months got adjusted up by substantial amounts.

Adjustments to the change in jobs is the wrong way to think about it. Proper way is to think about the adjustments to the total number of jobs, which are relatively smaller.

Businesses don't put super high priorities on filling out and returning these forms. Processing new fires/hires is more important.

Here are a couple of facts for ya:

The jobless rate is at a 44-month low.
The DJIA is at a 5-year high.

I'm reminded of something I once heard somebody say: "If you want to keep living like a Republican, you had better keep voting like a Democrat."

One only has to look at the Bill Clinton & George W Bush admnistrations to understand what he was saying.

we all know that you think that obama hasn't accomplished a damn thing due to the loser obstructionist republican congress. you have posted that opinion roughly 629,418 times. if that's what you believe, that obama isn't to blame for anything, then that means that nothing positive can be attributed to him either. right? i mean, that's a consistent way of looking at it.

therefore, the loser obstructionist republican congress gets all the credit for the awesome jobless rate and DJIA number. right?

Back