• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney on 47%: "I was completely wrong."

Because it will likely go away. As opposed to "you didn't build that", which was a similar mistake of words but which hasn't gone away because of the post-statement spin.

It's not all like that. Only blind lunatics listen to the taken out of context lie of "you didn't build that" was about the businesses. Only fools think that.

The 47% was heartfelt and said to like minded people paying to hear it.

Well Romney was right but he was wrong to say it

bullshit. there was nothing right about saying it's not his responsibility to worry about the 47% he claims are dependent on government and feel entitled to it

Once again Romney lies to the American public saying he was wrong.

This statement reinforces Romney is the most dishonest person to run for the POTUS since WWII and probably before that with the possible exception of Nixon. The difference is Romney tries to play being honest. Everyone knew Nixon was a liar and a crook. Romney is trying to play like he isn't.

Remember when you could tell the difference between a Wrangor post and an ELC post?

If that is directed at me, I've admitted I was wrong multiple times over the past six weeks.

No moral compass may be too strong, but I don't think Romney has any core convictions. He's a weak willed guy who says whatever he thinks his audience wants to hear at that point in time. Mitt's an unprincipled spineless opportunist.

Why do I say that Romney has no moral compass? It's simple. He really believes what he said about that 47% of the people. It wasn't a slip of the tongue or a misquote. That statement represented Romney's truest feelings toward his fellow man.

Couldn't it be that he was being a politician and speaking to his audience? I mean it wouldn't be that shocking and with the fact that it was supposedly a $50,000 a plate evening I dont doubt that a lot of the people in that room actually feel that way. Doesn't mean that Mitt is 100% in that corner.

Romney up until 8:59pm EST on October 3 easily wins the 2012 Republican nomination.

Romney since? Loses to Rick Santorum in a walk. His pivot to the middle in the last 2+ days has been pretty remarkable.

Romney all of a sudden is making a mad dash to the middle. He spent 18 months crowing to his base, now with a month to go, he's making his push towards center to try and swing the vote. My question is did he wait too long to do that?

He wanted to squeeze out all the conservative money that he could before the nation's attention really turned to the election is my guess.

He wanted to squeeze out all the conservative money that he could before the nation's attention really turned to the election is my guess.

Not a bad strategy if you don't mind its unethical core. But this is a guy whose campaign said they weren't going to be burdened by facts, so I'm guessing they're not big into ethics.

sorry, I don't see the 'shrewdness.' He said a thing that was fucked up, then doubled down on it. He waited to see how much it dragged him down, then came out and said he was wrong.

where exactly is the shrewdness? I'm not following.

I think Wake has an excellent point.

The problem, Wrangor, is that Romney doubled-down on the comments first (which I told him not to do!). Then he waited to see how the political winds blew, realized it was a potential game-ender, and is now trying to double-back. Obama can craft a pretty solid "you can't trust a thing this guys says" narrative from that triple-take.

The commercial just takes a few tweaks. Show the 47% comments under the label, "What Romney believes in private." Then show his awkward response the night the comments went public. "Romney scrambles." Then show Romney's later comments affirming his stupid comments. "Romney reaffirms his disregard for 47% of Americans." Then post a graphic showing Romney dropping in the polls since the comments. Then show Romney, today, saying he made a "mistake." Then a simple text message over his awkward face: "What does Romney really believe? Which Romney tells the truth?" Then post a video of Obama, shirtless, driving a speedboat, Michelle tucked under one arm, approving this message.

Last edited:
Why do people always make the claim that people they don't agree with politically have no moral compass? It is intellectually embarrassing. We all disagree with each other about something very important. I disagree with a large majority of this board about abortion...but that doesn't give me the right to declare that everyone I disagree with has no moral compass.

Romney made a shrewd political move, something he rarely does in my opinion. He took the 47% bomb, laid a bathtub over it and blew it up in his own backyard. Obama can still throw the bomb, but it no longer will have the potency because Romney already apologized for it. Obama is still going to use it on the campaign trail, but it could have been a debate changing moment if Romney didn't handle it correctly. Now if Obama brings it up Romney just says "As I said last week, I was wrong, and I apologize. I am not claiming that I will never make mistakes, and when I do I am man enough to take accountability for them. However you Mr. President don't see to want to be held accountable for the past 4 years of failure...etc...etc...etc..."

It is an easy switch to turn the heat back on Obama. I am not commenting on the truthfullness of Mitt's statement, because none of us know if it is a heartfelt apology, but there is no doubting that it was a brilliant political maneuver.

I don't know about his moral compass, but he flat out lied. I'm part of the 47% that will vote for Obama no matter what. And I pay a much higher percentage of my income than Mitt Romney. Who's the free loader?

Romney all of a sudden is making a mad dash to the middle. He spent 18 months crowing to his base, now with a month to go, he's making his push towards center to try and swing the vote. My question is did he wait too long to do that?

A very, very good question. I think he waited too late, and ran so far to the right to secure the nomination that he can't recover, but we'll see.

He had to wait until this late to mollify the far right. Had he started going to the middle at or before the convention or the base wouldn't trust him. Many would stay home.

He had to wait until this late to mollify the far right. Had he started going to the middle at or before the convention or the base wouldn't trust him. Many would stay home.

The right was not staying home, no matter what. That was Romney's major miscalculation, should he lose.

At least John McCain had the balls to tell his audience what they didn't want to hear. So kowtowing to people and telling them exactly what they want to hear isn't a feature of ALL Presidential candidates

Romney is terrified of offending the Tea Party base at all costs. He should have played to the TV audience rather than the people in the arena in Tampa. He didn't and Bubba eviscerated Mitt in his speech the next week. 34 states have already started voting and the 47% remark was baked in for the early voters. Romney knew he finally had to disavow the 47% remark, and it would have been powerful to do it while 60 Million people were watching, but Obama and Lehrer never brought it up. Disavowing it on Fox doesn't help Mitt as much as doing it during the first debate would have.

Back