• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney on 47%: "I was completely wrong."

Certainly it matters. Donating millions to the Mormon Church counts for nothing.

I'll be so glad when the next 32 days are over. I'm sick of hearing that two-faced SOB's name. If there is a God in Heaven, Mitt Romney will get his tail kicked on November 6th. People like him are so totally disgusting. And people who support him and claim to be Christians give Christianity a bad name.

We've been through this too - he donated to more than the church.

Further, I don't get your assertion that it 'counts for nothing'. The guy could have kept the millions for hookers and blow or whatever the hell he wanted. He didn't. He freaking gave it away. Those are *not* the actions of a man who doesn't care about others.

So a man takes a look at say, Detroit, and thinks to himself 'we can do better than this.. mayhaps there's been some unintentional consequences from well-meaning government programs' - and you cite that thought as evidence that the man doesn't have real empathy? I'd argue the opposite. Mitt clearly believes in charity (your deflection about church requirements notwithstanding) and he clearly believes in giving people the opportunity to reach their potential. Your take doesn't align with reality.

He didn't show a shred of empathy until it became an issue. His statement in Boca was his true feelings. Taking three weeks and multiple incarnations of back-tracking dramatically waters down any apology.

It's also the core of Ryan's Randish beliefs of "makers and takers." Reading Rand is a requirement of employment with Ryan. This is his belief system.

It's one thing if you are a member of a church that suggests how much you donate. It's quite another that places demands on your participation.

A way you can tell that he wouldn't donate at the levels is that he could do so every year. He makes more than enough money to do this or at least be close. He doesn't.

What does that mean? How do you know how much Mitt donates? Thought his financial/tax statements weren't released?

True, I know basically everything about Mitt and his giving habits based on two years of his life.

Has ELC decided what this means for his personal opinion?

My opinion remains the same. "Inelegantly stated" is the remark I agree with because I know what question he was asked and I know what he intended for his response to sound like (yes, I am totally psychic). I would love to have secret video of the shit Obama says when he's whooping it up with his Hollywood donors.

As cold and calculating as Romney is, if his returns showed something great in any other year, you know they would have been released.

I have to give the McCain campaign some high marks on organization. I would have thought that someone would have leaked some of Romney's other returns by now.

If someone insults you, then doesn't apologize. Then he tries to come up with an excuse a few days later. the a week later comes up with other reasons. Finally after three weeks and most of the people you know telling him what he said was wrong and he has been harmed professionally by not apologizing, he apologizes.

Very few people would believe that person's apology.

Now add to the fact, his best friend saying there would be Etch-A-Sketch moments and how much would you believe a canned, smirking "apology"?

Good lord. If he was a democrat this would have never been an issue. Because he would have said that was taken out of context and that would be enough for the media, and people like you. *cough* Obama and redistribution *cough*

That you're castigating him for pulling a you and making a completely retarded statement against someone or a group of people, then saying my bad and thinking it'll go away, is especially funny

What Romney said wasn't taken out of context. The entire bit was shown and used.

Good lord. If he was a democrat this would have never been an issue. Because he would have said that was taken out of context and that would be enough for the media, and people like you. *cough* Obama and redistribution *cough*

That you're castigating him for pulling a you and making a completely retarded statement against someone or a group of people, then doubling down on it, then many weeks later saying my bad and thinking it'll go away, is especially funny

Edited for accuracy.

He didn't show a shred of empathy until it became an issue. His statement in Boca was his true feelings. Taking three weeks and multiple incarnations of back-tracking dramatically waters down any apology.

It's also the core of Ryan's Randish beliefs of "makers and takers." Reading Rand is a requirement of employment with Ryan. This is his belief system.

Not surprisingly, we're going in circles. Charity (which he did before anything became 'an issue') is an expression of empathy.

Writing checks versus killing programs for the poor to give tax cuts to the rich....hmmmmm

Reality trumps speculation. People who don't care about others don't give away millions *of their own money* to siad others. This seems like a key point... somehow, because Romney doesn't want to give away millions of someone else's money and instead opts for alternative 'anti poverty' policies, he's castigated despite the fact he gives away millions of his own cash. How do you guys keep cognitive dissonance at bay?

I mean, A) religion isn't charity and B) his religion requires most of it.

wgaf anyway, no one could possible argue the guy is Mother Theresa. It's not like he's building libraries or establishing scholarships for people in the Romney name, which would actually be impressive IMO.

That you're castigating him for pulling a you and making a completely retarded statement against someone or a group of people, then saying my bad and thinking it'll go away, is especially funny

Guess I'm forced to write this again.

Will you guys ever stop blaming the media for all of your troubles? All I hear on the radio is right wingers. The most successful political cable channel is a conservative one. Even the "liberal" cable channel's most successful show is fronted by a conservative, who makes no bones where he stands. Networks and leading news magazines are not owned by liberals. There are editorial writers on both sides in all major news papers. So I guess what we are left with is just daily news articles. So you are saying that news articles are factually inaccurate to further a liberal slant? You are paranoid.

They absolutely do if they are running for office. They know it will come up as an issue.

There's no cognitive dissonance. One is for his own good. the other harms millions of people (mostly children).

Instead of claiming he made a mistake, it would have been better if Romney had just blamed Bush.

Back