• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Romney on 47%: "I was completely wrong."

Smart. But Obama just changes the ad with the lines, "what a man says behind closed doors, among friends, reveals his true character." Still, smart. Romney knew that Obama won't letting that pitch sail by again at the next debate, and this draws the sting somewhat.

Brilliant. Love to see that. Romney getting better and better every day on the campaign trail.

Brilliant. Love to see that. Romney getting better and better every day on the campaign trail.

really brilliant to wait a few weeks to apologize for remarks insulting half the country.

Wasn't there talk that Romney had prepared to answer the 47% question in the debates? I wonder if he had planned to say he was wrong then. That could have been a great moment.

Why do people always make the claim that people they don't agree with politically have no moral compass? It is intellectually embarrassing. We all disagree with each other about something very important. I disagree with a large majority of this board about abortion...but that doesn't give me the right to declare that everyone I disagree with has no moral compass.

Romney made a shrewd political move, something he rarely does in my opinion. He took the 47% bomb, laid a bathtub over it and blew it up in his own backyard. Obama can still throw the bomb, but it no longer will have the potency because Romney already apologized for it. Obama is still going to use it on the campaign trail, but it could have been a debate changing moment if Romney didn't handle it correctly. Now if Obama brings it up Romney just says "As I said last week, I was wrong, and I apologize. I am not claiming that I will never make mistakes, and when I do I am man enough to take accountability for them. However you Mr. President don't see to want to be held accountable for the past 4 years of failure...etc...etc...etc..."

It is an easy switch to turn the heat back on Obama. I am not commenting on the truthfullness of Mitt's statement, because none of us know if it is a heartfelt apology, but there is no doubting that it was a brilliant political maneuver.

Why do people always make the claim that people they don't agree with politically have no moral compass? It is intellectually embarrassing. We all disagree with each other about something very important. I disagree with a large majority of this board about abortion...but that doesn't give me the right to declare that everyone I disagree with has no moral compass.

Romney made a shrewd political move, something he rarely does in my opinion. He took the 47% bomb, laid a bathtub over it and blew it up in his own backyard. Obama can still throw the bomb, but it no longer will have the potency because Romney already apologized for it. Obama is still going to use it on the campaign trail, but it could have been a debate changing moment if Romney didn't handle it correctly. Now if Obama brings it up Romney just says "As I said last week, I was wrong, and I apologize. I am not claiming that I will never make mistakes, and when I do I am man enough to take accountability for them. However you Mr. President don't see to want to be held accountable for the past 4 years of failure...etc...etc...etc..."

It is an easy switch to turn the heat back on Obama. I am not commenting on the truthfullness of Mitt's statement, because none of us know if it is a heartfelt apology, but there is no doubting that it was a brilliant political maneuver.

sorry, I don't see the 'shrewdness.' He said a thing that was fucked up, then doubled down on it. He waited to see how much it dragged him down, then came out and said he was wrong.

where exactly is the shrewdness? I'm not following.

You aren't following on purpose. I just explained it. This issue was not going to be brought up again until the debates. Romney knew at some point it was coming back. So he diffused the issue before it could blow up on him in the debate. Is that simple enough for you?

You aren't following on purpose. I just explained it. This issue was not going to be brought up again until the debates. Romney knew at some point it was coming back. So he diffused the issue before it could blow up on him in the debate. Is that simple enough for you?

So that is shrewd? It appears to me to be run-of-the-mill damage control. You said it was shrewd, and brilliant. You are fellating this man over standard campaign strategy. take it easy, champ.

1. You're assuming Mitt has enough credibility with the electorate that "i'm sorry" outweighs the initial statements. Corrections usually get less play than the initial reporting.

2. Do debates really matter?

Why do I say that Romney has no moral compass? It's simple. He really believes what he said about that 47% of the people.

Romney doesn't have YOUR moral compass. There is a big difference. It is amazing how someone who rails against the religiosity of the church, can be so judgmental of anyone who doesn't fall into line with his world view.

1. You're assuming Mitt has enough credibility with the electorate that "i'm sorry" outweighs the initial statements. Corrections usually get less play than the initial reporting.

2. Do debates really matter?

Yes

I'm surprised that BKF wouldn't use the wild unexplained swings in Romney's policy positions as evidence of him lacking a moral compass. Reagan went from D to R, but had pretty clear explanations why.

Romney all of a sudden is making a mad dash to the middle. He spent 18 months crowing to his base, now with a month to go, he's making his push towards center to try and swing the vote. My question is did he wait too long to do that?

Romney all of a sudden is making a mad dash to the middle. He spent 18 months crowing to his base, now with a month to go, he's making his push towards center to try and swing the vote. My question is did he wait too long to do that?

apparently, that is brilliant shrewdness.

sorry, I don't see the 'shrewdness.' He said a thing that was fucked up, then doubled down on it. He waited to see how much it dragged him down, then came out and said he was wrong.

where exactly is the shrewdness? I'm not following.

Because it will likely go away. As opposed to "you didn't build that", which was a similar mistake of words but which hasn't gone away because of the post-statement spin.

I'm not so sure. Gore won 2 of 3 vs W, Kerry took all 3, and Reagan got waxed by Mondale in the 1st one, etc etc.

fivethirtyeight-1004-pd2_2-blog480.jpg

Seems like these aren't great things to stake campaigns on, which I why I never bought into Gingrich's claim that the most important thing in a GOP nominee was a person who could beat Obama in the debates. It's the election that you have to win.

Because he had to appease the religious wackos to get the nomination. Now he can dump them and try to appeal to the majority of Americans.

Back