• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama's pitiful debate performance the game changer Romney needed?

Gallup has released new numbers showing Romney going from a 5-point deficit (50-45) to Obama in the three days before last week’s debate to a 47-47 tie in the three days after the debate.

Rasmussen’s lastest tracking poll is also just out and shows a 48-48 dead heat.
Looks like the lackluster debate performance has really tightened things up.

National polls are irrelevant. Has Romney caught Obama in OH? VA? NV? CO? Taken a sustainable lead in FL? Has Romney taken the lead in a previously Obama held state?

If the answers to those are no, then what happened in the debate doesn't much matter.

Politico/GWU poll from before the debate finds that the enthusiasm gap in favor of the GOP is growing.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/10/...ll-finds-13-point-enthusiasm-gap-favoring-gop

Among those extremely likely to vote, Romney actually leads Obama 52 percent to 46 percent. That’s up from a 2-point lead last week. Obama led 50 percent to 47 percent among this group three weeks ago.

Some commentary from the article:

Other internals look bad in the poll. Obama’s firm re-elect number on Q6 is only 46% with just four weeks to go before the election — and again, mostly from before the debate. That’s a low number for an incumbent at this stage of the race, as undecideds usually break hard for the challenger.

That’s even more true when one takes into consideration the sample breakdown in this poll. It has a D/R/I of 38/30/32, for a D+8. That’s more Democratic than 2008′s D+7, which took place in a cycle with much more Democratic enthusiasm than this poll demonstrates. If Obama trails in a D+8 poll by 6 among the extremely likely voters with four weeks to go, he’s in deep trouble — and his debate performance certainly won’t boost him.

The foreign policy debate could really be a tough one for Obama too. Obvious attack point of getting US servicepeople and civilians killed in a pointless war that has seemingly no hope of a positive conclusion, plus complete disregard for civilians in Pakistan, ineffective tactics, soldiers being killed by people they're supposedly training, increasing Iranian influence in the region, and even tying the national debt into it as well.

Or Romney could go full neocon, declare allegiance to Israel and blow it. Odds seems even.

Or Romney could go all Romney and insult or historic allies in their moment of pride; all Palestinians by calling their culture inferior; grossly overreacting too early to Libya, saying he would just kick the can down the road re:Israel/Palestinians and more.

So far each time Romney has talked about foreign affairs and foreign policy in the moment he has failed miserably.

Do many people even care about a debate on foreign policy at this point? I feel like even if Obama crushes it, he can't make up for last week, to the extent that the debates impact the voters. I'm interested to see what the ratings are for this one versus the last one, especially if baseball is on.

Sitting POTUS are 1-6 in first debates....and 5-2 in elections.

Do many people even care about a debate on foreign policy at this point? I feel like even if Obama crushes it, he can't make up for last week, to the extent that the debates impact the voters. I'm interested to see what the ratings are for this one versus the last one, especially if baseball is on.

Exactly. Obama has done a much better job than his predecessor in foreign affairs, so good that righties think no one cares about it anymore. If not for Benghazi, most conservatives would never even think to bring it up. Gotta love their selective view of the world.

Most people don't have a fucking clue what's going on in the rest of the world and don't care. I'm sure someone will now produce a poll showing most Americans say they're concerned about what's going on in the rest of the world. but it'll bullshit. Ask someone what they think of Mugabe and you'll get a blank stare.

America will care if Romney wants to pick fights with Russia and China but bitch about cutting the debt

If I do about fifty more, I'll start catching up to you.

My spycam captured RJ's face as he made this post. It looked like this.

images

Moderator: "Mr. Romney, recently you said Russia was our biggest threat. Can you clarify that statement?"
Romney: "No I didn't."
Obama: *blink*...*blink*
Moderator: "I...uh...huh?"
Romney: "I didn't say that at all."
Obama: *harder blink*
Moderator: "Uh...moving on..."

GAME. ROMNEY.

Back